Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Japanese (and other language) card text on the wiki - help requested!  (Read 5601 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile

Another wiki overhaul is happening!  A while back, user Dbclick edited the "In other languages" and "Alternate versions" portions of Artisan and Bandit to be a single "Versions" section, using a table format to make everything more compact and easy to parse.  I quite like the format, and I'm going to start slowly changing all existing card pages to it.  The great thing about it is that there is now a way to document card texts in different languages!  This can probably be limited to the three non-English languages on Dominion Online to start with - German, Japanese and Russian.  I can take care of the German and Russian texts myself, but given that my current version of typing in Japanese is hunting for the right character on the "List of Kanji" page on Wikipedia and copy-pasting it, I would not be the best person to put up Japanese card text.  So I'm asking for help!  If majiponi (the user behind the Japanese translations for Dominion Online) could help himself, that would be awesome, but I'll take what I can get.

I also welcome any help doing any of the other transition work - adding the tables to the card pages, plunking card text, whether in English, German or Russian.  I'll get to it myself eventually, but if more people help, the faster it gets done.  I'm starting in the Base set, so feel free to start in a later expansion if you're up for it.

An example of the new format: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Moat#Versions
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile

Do I have to scan the printed Japanese cards? I don't have any.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Not if you don't have them.  But there's a section to put the card text for that language, and I can't really copy-paste from the cards on dominion.games.  As an example, Artisan has the Russian text in the table, but no other language yet, other than English.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:13:01 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile

Not if you don't have them. 

I hate to make an Awaclus joke, but you're saying that if he does have them, then he has to scan them?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

I hate to make an Awaclus joke, but you're saying that if he does have them, then he has to scan them?

I've taken notational logic courses three separate times and I still don't remember the fancy name for this

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

I've taken notational logic courses three separate times and I still don't remember the fancy name for this

Non sequitur?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Another example: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Cellar#Other_language_versions

I've got the German and Russian texts in the table, but not the Japanese (and not for any of the other languages, which aren't on Dominion Online yet).  I also haven't put in the digital Japanese card yet, but that's easy enough to do.  EDIT: Added the digital Japanese card.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:11:00 pm by werothegreat »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile

Another example: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Cellar#Other_language_versions

I've got the German and Russian texts in the table, but not the Japanese (and not for any of the other languages, which aren't on Dominion Online yet).  I also haven't put in the digital Japanese card yet, but that's easy enough to do.  EDIT: Added the digital Japanese card.

Where can you find the digital Japanese cards being used on Dominion Online? I'm also curious if you've tried taking screenshots of the Japanese cards or something then ran OCR on the text, though that is unlikely to give you perfect results unfortunately.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Where can you find the digital Japanese cards being used on Dominion Online?

When you log in to Dominion Online, click the little Japanese flag in the upper left corner.  Then I go to Familiar cards and just take a screenshot of the relevant card and crop it.  In Paint.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
+1

Where can you find the digital Japanese cards being used on Dominion Online?

When you log in to Dominion Online, click the little Japanese flag in the upper left corner.  Then I go to Familiar cards and just take a screenshot of the relevant card and crop it.  In Paint.

So, I took a look at the Japanese card texts of a few cards and gave Japanese OCR tools a shot. The one I tried turned out to be very effective so far and can be done directly on the client.

I actually know enough about kanji drawing stroke order to be able to do quick lookups of kanji online by drawing it (note that online lookups based on drawing kanji generally fail you if you can't figure out the approximate stroke order). This kind of lookup is only necessary for kanji that the OCR tool fails to parse.

So, I'm willing to help transcribe Japanese card text to the Wiki. I can't help with any of the other language though, nor would I want to upload the Japanese digital card art.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese (and other language) card text on the wiki - help requested!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 09:01:49 pm »

Awesome!  I can upload the Japanese cards, it's fine, and I can do the Russian and German - it's just the Japanese text I wanted help with.  Thanks!

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 09:13:21 pm »
+1

Awesome!  I can upload the Japanese cards, it's fine, and I can do the Russian and German - it's just the Japanese text I wanted help with.  Thanks!

I will have time this week to work on that.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 10:21:38 pm »

Contrapositive, I think?

*Edit* Nope, it's the inverse, which is a logical fallacy. Just because a statement is true doesn't make the inverse true.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:23:39 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

SSLY

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: SSLY
  • aka Seesaw
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 08:29:20 am »

I can help u too :)
majiponi's preferable translation is based on the shuffleIT English ver and quite different from HJ's licensed print edition, which comes from the original English ver with its own errata. For completing wiki, it's better to have both in the table i think.
It's not hard to copy and paste the japanese printed texts from an unofficial japanese wiki checking accuracy. I can't scan or upload images while majiponi or someone else are adequate for that.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 06:22:06 am by SSLY »

Shvegait

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 08:51:08 am »
+1

Contrapositive, I think?

*Edit* Nope, it's the inverse, which is a logical fallacy. Just because a statement is true doesn't make the inverse true.

According to Wikipedia, this is known as "denying the antecedent".

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 11:46:42 am »

Contrapositive, I think?

According to Wikipedia, this is known as "denying the antecedent".

Ah yes, the brother of "affirming the consequent"

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 08:15:12 pm »

Would it be possible for this to start up again?  We've gotten Japanese text for Base and Intrigue on the wiki, but not for the other sets.  Seaside, Alchemy, Prosperity, Empires, and Promo cards are formatted so they have space for the text, and I'm working on Cornucopia and Adventures.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 11:40:09 pm »
+1

Would it be possible for this to start up again?  We've gotten Japanese text for Base and Intrigue on the wiki, but not for the other sets.  Seaside, Alchemy, Prosperity, Empires, and Promo cards are formatted so they have space for the text, and I'm working on Cornucopia and Adventures.

Ah yeah, I need to set aside some time for the Japanese translations on the Wiki. If the Base and Intrigue entries are in order, I can work on the other sets over the next couple of weeks.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 11:40:00 pm »

I didn't find a way to look at the bottom card of a split pile within the Dominion Online client without exposing it in an actual game (for example against the AI). The German and Polish images for the split pile cards seem to be up, but the Japanese images for the split pile cards are not on the wiki yet. Finding the text for Castles in particular is annoying for any language that doesn't have the card images available outside the client.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 11:51:38 pm »

I didn't find a way to look at the bottom card of a split pile within the Dominion Online client without exposing it in an actual game (for example against the AI). The German and Polish images for the split pile cards seem to be up, but the Japanese images for the split pile cards are not on the wiki yet. Finding the text for Castles in particular is annoying for any language that doesn't have the card images available outside the client.

Polish... I think you mean Russian?  But yeah, that's an issue I'm hoping Stef gets around to eventually.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 10:22:31 am »

Polish... I think you mean Russian?  But yeah, that's an issue I'm hoping Stef gets around to eventually.

I think I do mean Polish after all? Check the wiki pages for Avanto and Emporium for example. The Polish card image seems to be there for many cards on the wiki in fact.

Avanto:
 http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Avanto

Emporium:
http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Emporium

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 10:59:37 am »

Oh right. Yeah, I thought you meant on the client. The only way to get the text would be to start a game with them. I'm planning on getting screencaps of the Japanese cards eventually, but that is a low priority for me currently.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 11:22:21 am »

Oh right. Yeah, I thought you meant on the client. The only way to get the text would be to start a game with them. I'm planning on getting screencaps of the Japanese cards eventually, but that is a low priority for me currently.

No worries, I can manage that. I might have to put some actual effort to play well in order to see all the Castles, even if it is against the AI.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 11:26:56 am »

No worries, I can manage that. I might have to put some actual effort to play well in order to see all the Castles, even if it is against the AI.

I can find the split pile card images in game that is. I didn't mean I can add the Japanese card images to the wiki.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 09:50:16 am »

So what is the plan for adding the Japanese (and other language) text for the Dominion: Nocturne cards to the wiki?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 21 queries.