Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Game of Thrones (show) [spoiler warning]  (Read 31775 times)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones (show) [spoiler warning]
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2017, 09:04:15 am »
+1

I agree with what most people have been saying.

The stuff past the wall didn't actually bother me that much. We have had 4 battle scenes in 6 episodes and this was at least better than the pirates of the carribean scene so third isn't bad. I was fine with the wights waiting because I think he knew the dragons were coming, we have scene the night king call hordes of wights to fall off a cliff only to raise them again and screw with jons head. The worst part of thatnwhole scene was benjin coming out of nowhere rhegon totally should have circled back, and laid down a line of fire while Jon hopped on his back.

Now for my real issue, winterfell. All that needs to be done is describe to someone the three stark siblings as children, briefly explain what tragedy occurred to their parents and brothers, then explain the journey each has gone on. Finally tell the person these siblings have been reunited all returning to their home where they grew up. That person will respond oh man that must be amazing, I would hate to be anyone that isn't 100% on the starks good side because those kids must be on top of everything. Remember Bran sees everything, Sansa has the entire north supporting her, and arya is the deadliest fighter in westeros. Essentially they all suffered because of the family and safety they lost but they haven't forma second discussed that. Like arya and Sansa should totally be arguing over who murdered their enemies in a cooler way. Arya's all "remember the man who killed rob and mother, I fed his children to him in a pie then slit his throat", Sansa's all "pity you fed his children to him, I fed the man who killed rickon to his children...his children were starving savage dogs." Meanwhile Bran's all "you girls are kinda crazy...oh and the guy who basically killed father is downstairs. Let's invite him for a meeting in the ravens room and I'll warg into all of them and peck his eyes out!" End of scene and all threats to the glorious all powerful stark house.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2017, 12:16:43 pm »

Despite the criticisms of this latest episode, I did really miss Tormund.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6119
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2017, 02:52:52 pm »
+4

I wish there was more dialogue and it was slower.  I blame not having source material.  The dialogue in the past, even the stuff not directly based on source material, was incredible.  We have no scenes like Jaime and Brienne in the baths. 

I love this season in terms of seeing "what happens", but it does feel like Cliff's Notes.  Sometimes the journey is just as important as the destination.

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2017, 03:10:43 pm »

By the way, what are your thoughts on the Highgarden/Tyrell thing from a few episodes back?
Imo it's by far the worst plothole so far in the series.
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2017, 03:16:22 pm »

I realized the way they should have worked the raven problem:

End of episode 5: 

The lucky seven step out from the gates of Eastwatch into the frozen North beyond the wall, and vanish into the driving blizzard.

CUT TO: Winterfell Godswood

Bran is sitting beneath the Weirwood tree, eyes open and covered in white.

Bran (turns to his attendant, eyes suddenly normal):

"Fetch Maester Wolkan; I need to send a Raven."

Attendant:

"To where, my Lord?"

Bran (with a distant look):

"Dragonstone"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:14:03 pm by Elestan »

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2017, 03:24:01 pm »

Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2017, 04:48:49 pm »

Snip

Aaaaaand this guy gets it!

There is an issue there that Daenerys doesn't know Bran and wouldn't understand why he knows what's going on north of Eastwatch.  Tyrion knows Bran, but doesn't know of his Greenseer abilities.  We could assume Bran can circumvent that, though, and we would never have to see the contents of his message.

Though, regardless of whether it's ultimately more believable, I think it would actually have given us less pause while watching, which I think is more important, since that's what takes away from immersion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2017, 11:06:54 pm »
+1

My takeaway from tonight

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2017, 09:13:38 am »

THAAAAANK GOD my sweet sweet winter children. I could not have been happier about how littlefinger ended. No trickery, no assasination, just called out in front of everyone, "you have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2017, 09:19:43 am »

THAAAAANK GOD my sweet sweet winter children. I could not have been happier about how littlefinger ended. No trickery, no assasination, just called out in front of everyone, "you have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting.

Yeah, though the in-character motivation for the entire ruse is a bit lacking.  There was enough to justify it based on Bran and Sansa's knowledge alone; Littlefinger trying to turn Sansa and Arya against each other was more for the reveal effect for the audience. 

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2017, 09:33:46 am »

Yeah, though the in-character motivation for the entire ruse is a bit lacking.  There was enough to justify it based on Bran and Sansa's knowledge alone; Littlefinger trying to turn Sansa and Arya against each other was more for the reveal effect for the audience.

Agreed...but I forgive them anyway:
* Sansa is being made unbelievably stupid for the purpose of injecting unnecessary dramatic tension.  Caveat:  If she and Arya are playing up their enmity deliberately to sucker Littlefinger, then all will be forgiven.

I am, however, still annoyed by the fact that the whole wight retrieval mission turned out to be an own goal of monumental proportions.

And Sam must have been taking lessons from the Ravens...Oldtown to Winterfell in one episode?  That's what, over 2000 miles in a horse and cart?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:10:15 am by Elestan »

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2017, 09:52:42 am »

I actually think this is another time constraint issue and not a plot issue. Think if we had littlefingers pov every once in awhile, hanging out at winterfell dangerously surrounded by those he has betrayed. At the first sign of danger he would be back to the vale safely up in the tower where no one could get him. I think is makes plot sense that Sansa and arya would have to bait littlefinger in to a big meeting full of stark soldiers and supporters.

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2017, 10:03:22 am »

Think if we had littlefingers pov every once in awhile, hanging out at winterfell dangerously surrounded by those he has betrayed. At the first sign of danger he would be back to the vale safely up in the tower where no one could get him. I think is makes plot sense that Sansa and arya would have to bait littlefinger in to a big meeting full of stark soldiers and supporters.

The Vale wouldn't have been any refuge once Sansa revealed that he killed Lysa; Yohn Royce would have happily beheaded him personally given half an excuse.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3387
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2017, 10:09:55 am »

I actually wrote a real review of the episode, this time.

https://reason.com/blog/2017/08/28/why-sansa-stark-will-win-the-game-of-thr

I am now fully convinced we are building toward Sansa Stark, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Realm and Ruler of the Seven Kingdoms.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2017, 11:38:20 am »

By the way, what are your thoughts on the Highgarden/Tyrell thing from a few episodes back?
Imo it's by far the worst plothole so far in the series.
I've defended this a few times.  It could have used more explanation/backstory, but it actually makes a lot of sense. 

The Reach has never been especially loyal to the Tyrells, but they respect Tarly.  Tyrell is siding with the daughter of the Mad King and bringing over hordes of Dothraki.  Backing her would mean certain revenge from Cersei, an immediate threat who just showed she was willing to blow up the Great Sept to destroy her enemies.  The Tyrell house is extinct; there's no more heirs.  There's very little reason for anyone in Highgarden to continue supporting the Tyrells.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2017, 12:04:30 pm »

So is Tormund dead?  And Beric, and anyone else hanging out there.  It didn't seem to linger on them too much, so I imagine we'll see some people coming out of the wreckage next season.  Seems hard to survive that big of a collapse though.

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2017, 12:37:51 pm »

I actually wrote a real review of the episode, this time.

https://reason.com/blog/2017/08/28/why-sansa-stark-will-win-the-game-of-thr

I am now fully convinced we are building toward Sansa Stark, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Realm and Ruler of the Seven Kingdoms.
From that review:
Daeny is infertile. Unless the show undoes this plot point (which would be a fairly obnoxious cheat), a Daeny-Jon partnership could never produce an heir.

The show touched on that this episode; Jon pointed out that the only evidence that she is infertile is the word of the witch who killed her husband and son.  I'm fairly certain she'll end up pregnant next season.

Your article's argument seems to be that if Jon, Dany, and Cersei all die, Sansa is next in line.  I agree (she's the only great house leader left standing except Euron/Theon and the still-underage Robin Arryn, none of whom are remotely viable), but I don't think both Jon and Dany will die; one or both of them will rule Westeros, and Sansa will rule the North.  Whether the North rejoins the rest of Westeros is still not clear.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2017, 03:54:37 pm »
+1

I think what Rob is saying is not that Sansa is next in line, but that she is next of kin.  Based on my reading of the family trees, next in line actually appears to be Gendry, no?  Because Aerys has no more heirs, and Jaehaerys has no more heirs, so now you're on Aegon V, the only heir of which is Rhaelle -> Steffon -> Robert -> Gendry.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3387
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2017, 04:47:21 pm »

I think what Rob is saying is not that Sansa is next in line, but that she is next of kin.  Based on my reading of the family trees, next in line actually appears to be Gendry, no?  Because Aerys has no more heirs, and Jaehaerys has no more heirs, so now you're on Aegon V, the only heir of which is Rhaelle -> Steffon -> Robert -> Gendry.

Sure, but it seems to me, for practicality's sake, Jon is likely to name Sansa as next in line, and for the realm to accept her as such, since she is already well known and liked. Gendry is a realistic husband for her, though, in order to bring additional legitimacy, especially if Jon decrees him legitimated.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2017, 06:33:27 pm »

I really loved that episode. I was getting really frustrated with this season. It seemed a perfect example of being careful what you wish for when you consider how much complaining there had been over the first 6 seasons about the slow pace and storylines that barely progressed over the course of a whole season--that tone has been really missed. But I thought the finale did a great job of bringing the show back to feeling more like itself, and I really hope it can continue for the final season.

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2017, 08:01:31 pm »

I find it kind of sad that littlefinger was actually as bad at plotting (since season 5) as he appeared to be.
Episode itself was quite good I think

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2017, 08:10:53 pm »
+1

This was a really good season if you don't think about the plots too hard.

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2017, 08:36:56 pm »

I find it kind of sad that littlefinger was actually as bad at plotting (since season 5) as he appeared to be.

Lots of things on the show degraded once they outran their source material and had to start writing it themselves.

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2017, 09:06:07 pm »

Lots of things on the show degraded once they outran their source material and had to start writing it themselves.
Jep, I know. But I mean, I find it unsatisfying that littlefinger was made to be that bad by D&D.

Anyway, #teamnightking is rolling! Woooo :-)

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #149 on: August 29, 2017, 01:39:38 pm »

Is he really that bad?  Subtract Bran, and his plan works pretty well.  But in the end he got outplayed by a guy who somehow became a walking WeirwoodPedia.  (Well not the walking part.)  No one could have foreseen that.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.