Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Game of Thrones (show) [spoiler warning]  (Read 31778 times)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
Game of Thrones (show) [spoiler warning]
« on: July 17, 2017, 09:44:20 am »

Hey so I really enjoyed the survivor thread where people discussed their thoughts on current episodes and I'm sure there are lots of game of thrones fans that would enjoy doing the same.

I figure the thread has one big spoiler warning so no need to use spoiler tags unless it's for book specific knowledge which pure show watchers may or may not want to know. Assume when coming to the thread that you have seen the most recently aired episode.

I would love to discuss everything from plot theories and thoughts to episode structure and directorial decisions.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones (show) [spoiler warning]
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:41:03 am »

As for my thoughts on the first episode I would give it an A rating.

I have been very upset about the change to 7 hours as opposed to 10 because other than just wanting more got, I have felt in the past certain characters would have benefitted from more screen time and development. All those concerns were put to rest as this episode did a great job touching base with every single faction (aside from olenna & dorn) and I didn't feel rushed with any of them.

My favorite part of the episode was probably the part with the mountain, they have really taken his character a long way and have transitioned him from comedic one-liners to "audience voice" really well. It feels like he thinks differently from everyone else in a very real non fantasy way but is forced to fit into this fantasy world and the interactions caused by that are wonderful.

I'm curious how other people felt about the opening. I thought it was interesting that they used the break to allow the possibility that the scene was showing us what happend prior to walda frey's death and actually thought that was what they were doing untill (s)he told the daughter not to drink the wine. We're other people caught off guard or did you think it had to be arya since she just killed him?

I was probably most disappointed with the scenes in the north. Sansa is the character I most wish the show had done a better job developing up to this point. It frustrating because her relationship with John has barely been shown and Sansa's overall "clever level" hasn't really been developed either. It's clear she wishes she was Queen in the north and given the respect she deserves for bringing the nights of the veil to the table but the exchanges with her and John insinuate she is truly proud of John and thinks he makes a good leader. Overall it just feels like her characters true motivations are really all over the place and it's hard to place what she wants. I sadly think it may be the fact that Sophie turner isn't the best actress and so she is portraying Sansa's emotions very on the nose. When she said "I know what he(littlefinger) wants" I don't know if she thinks he just wants her, or if she realizes he wants to create a divide between her and John because together littlefinger has to help them and has to be second to John but divided he has more power then either commanding the knights of the veil.

Loved loved loved the intro to old town and the citadel, I thought it strung together well and really got the gross and tedious nature of sams job across. Though I was a little taken aback and I'm curious if others felt similarly. The repetitive nature of that opening scene typically indicates a passage of time even longer than shown, as though this is what been going on for so long were snap cutting it together in faster and faster clips to "speed through time" to present moment. However contrast that to arya at the trident and it seems like this season has picked up right after the end of the last season. Maybe I am forgetting how long Sam is supposed to have been at the citadel, but that struck me as a bit odd. Other than that I loved the exchange between Sam and the grand maester. I'm slightly torn be the fact that I'm happy they have set up a season arc right off the bat, Sam finds the dragon glass John needs, and Dany lands in Westeros on top of said dragon glass, but slightly frustrated at the deus ex machina nature of a giant mine of dragon glass. I would have preferred Sam perhaps discover dragon glass is created by extreme heat reacting to saline deposits and then show one of the dragons flam broiling and eating a bird atop a rock on the coast of dragonstone, show the rock that has been beaten by salt water turn into a glimmering shard of dragon glass and then pan the camera down through the earth to reveal the giant deposits of dragon glass. That gets the same outcome but feel much less cheap I think.

Lastly I enjoyed the jora mormont tag and I hope sets up for Sam to cure his stone skin and be part of the catalyst for John/Sam to work with dany in the future.

Oh and the actor who played yuron greyjoy lost too much weight/cut off too much hair in between seasons, curious if anyone else felt that way, I mean I'm all for gettin fitnknce you've got yourself a big role in a show but yeesh did they need to dress in in tight leather pants a mesh shirt, we get it he's supposed to be sexually threatening to Jamie, he might has well strolled in and asked Circe "how you doin?".

That's all for now, looking forward to discussing thought with everyone and watching more Game of Thrones!
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3387
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 12:31:14 pm »

Yay!!! Great idea.

I have been very upset about the change to 7 hours as opposed to 10 because other than just wanting more got, I have felt in the past certain characters would have benefitted from more screen time and development. All those concerns were put to rest as this episode did a great job touching base with every single faction (aside from olenna & dorn) and I didn't feel rushed with any of them.

I agree, I was worried about the shorter season, but the thing is, there are actually fewer characters than there have ever been, so now we have ample time to spend with everyone. I mean, just King's Landing has always had so many people we barely had time to check in with everybody every week, but now it's practically empty, just Cersei and Jamie.

My favorite part of the episode was probably the part with the mountain, they have really taken his character a long way and have transitioned him from comedic one-liners to "audience voice" really well. It feels like he thinks differently from everyone else in a very real non fantasy way but is forced to fit into this fantasy world and the interactions caused by that are wonderful.

I think you mean the Hound! But I agree. He's had a great redemptive arc, very believable. They are also doing a great job of selling the Brotherhood as a group of people you would actually want to join, because hey, they're pretty good people, unlike everyone else.

I'm slightly torn be the fact that I'm happy they have set up a season arc right off the bat, Sam finds the dragon glass John needs, and Dany lands in Westeros on top of said dragon glass, but slightly frustrated at the deus ex machina nature of a giant mine of dragon glass. I would have preferred Sam perhaps discover dragon glass is created by extreme heat reacting to saline deposits and then show one of the dragons flam broiling and eating a bird atop a rock on the coast of dragonstone, show the rock that has been beaten by salt water turn into a glimmering shard of dragon glass and then pan the camera down through the earth to reveal the giant deposits of dragon glass. That gets the same outcome but feel much less cheap I think.

They really dropped the ball on this one because STANNIS ALREADY TOLD SAM THEY HAD DRAGONGLASS ON DRANGONSTONE. Why did Sam need to sail around the world for an entire season to learn something he already knew?

Oh and the actor who played yuron greyjoy lost too much weight/cut off too much hair in between seasons, curious if anyone else felt that way, I mean I'm all for gettin fitnknce you've got yourself a big role in a show but yeesh did they need to dress in in tight leather pants a mesh shirt, we get it he's supposed to be sexually threatening to Jamie, he might has well strolled in and asked Circe "how you doin?".

This slightly rebooted version of Euron is, however, a bit more in keeping with the books, which portray Euron as a very sexy/sexual pirate dude. And also a complete homicidal maniac in the Joffrey/Ramsay vein, which so far the show has tempered a bit. I don't mind it, frankly. Enough sadism.

Other thoughts:

-- I'm not sure I buy Dragonstone being completely abandoned. Stannis would have left like a couple people to guard it. I could see those people surrender to Daeny upon her arrival, since they have no one to fight for... but completely abandoned? Nah.

-- The producers did a good job of making Dragonstone, a place we've already visited, seem new and interesting again. For Stannis, Dragonstone was the out-of-the-way castle he got stuck with bitterly. But for Daeny, it's her birth rite and homecoming. That said, I didn't love the addition of the Eastern-looking dragon statues, doesn't really fit with established Targaryen aesthetic.

-- All the costumes, in general, while very cool-looking, were a bit too modern and sci fi ish. The Kingsguard members look like Cylon centurions. Even Sansa looks like she's ordering her dresses from the Mad Queen's catalogue.

-- Similarly, the dialogue has gotten too modern--probably because the showrunners no longer have Martin's written dialogue to rely on. (These are small complaints, mind you.)

-- Where is Melisandre? I thought maybe she had gone back to Dragonstone, but apparently not.

-- Show!Jamie, unlike Book!Jamie, still seems pretty devoted to Cersei.

-- It was nice change of pace to encounter a group of random soldiers who were just, you know, friendly.

-- I love Arya, and her revenge is cool, but it's a little morally uncomplicated for my tastes. (I prefer the Lady Stoneheart revenge arc from the books, which is cool but makes you start thinking hey, is this kind of just as bad as the thing they are avenging?)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:32:55 pm by Robz888 »
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:39:56 pm »

Unlike mcmc, I did actually like the drama in the north just fine. Jon and Sansa aren't opposed to each other, but they're not always on the same page, and the show has done a good job of setting that up: of course Sansa cares more about King's Landing stuff, she's never actually seen the White Walkers or zombies, whereas of course Jon cares more about the Night's King, he's existed outside traditional dynasty politics. And it makes sense for Sansa to feel a little slighted by Jon becoming king, and she's clearly been influenced by both Cersei and Littlefinger. I even found it totally believable for Sansa to think disinheriting the Karstarks and Umbers was right, and for Jon to disagree. So there was a lot of northern tension that I thought was surprisingly well grounded in believable conflict.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:32:54 pm »

They really dropped the ball on this one because STANNIS ALREADY TOLD SAM THEY HAD DRAGONGLASS ON DRANGONSTONE. Why did Sam need to sail around the world for an entire season to learn something he already knew?
I forgot about that! Ugh maybe that what the show was hoping for but jeez that makes it that much worse. Also why is the location of dragon glass in the restricted area of the library, also why a restricted area in the citadel at all. Very overused trope of the "restricted area" holds all the things you need to know without any explaination as to why they are restricted. At least the grand maester Sam talked to had a good point of it's not that I don't believe you, in fact evidence points to you must be telling the truth but what we are doing here in more important than anything the people outside this citidel can even imagine.

Other thoughts:

-- I'm not sure I buy Dragonstone being completely abandoned. Stannis would have left like a couple people to guard it. I could see those people surrender to Daeny upon her arrival, since they have no one to fight for... but completely abandoned? Nah.
Couldn't agree more, it cheapens stannis's whole theme of a stubborn unmoving tactician to leave his entire castle empty. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they shot some people surrendering to dany and it felt out of place/didn't fit into her homecoming scene when it hit the edit bay because as you say that whole scene was really well done.

-- The producers did a good job of making Dragonstone, a place we've already visited, seem new and interesting again. For Stannis, Dragonstone was the out-of-the-way castle he got stuck with bitterly. But for Daeny, it's her birth rite and homecoming. That said, I didn't love the addition of the Eastern-looking dragon statues, doesn't really fit with established Targaryen aesthetic.
From the perspective of a casual viewer(my wife) it definitely felt like a special moment, when they showed the stone figurines which we have previously scene stannis's moving around when planning his battles she went "aww are those her toys from when she was a baby". So the scene definitely did its job of making the place feel special to dany.

-- All the costumes, in general, while very cool-looking, were a bit too modern and sci fi ish. The Kingsguard members look like Cylon centurions. Even Sansa looks like she's ordering her dresses from the Mad Queen's catalogue.
Ugh yea I found this pretty atrocious, I mean isn't one of the plot point supposed to be that the crown is broke and owes tons of money to the bank, where did they get the money to commission new armor for all of the kingsguard. Like leave the gold armor, change the white cloth accents to black cloth accents, woulda been much more belivable.

-- Where is Melisandre? I thought maybe she had gone back to Dragonstone, but apparently not.
One of the only characters not shown, I think this is another timing problem. Last we saw she was in her little dungeon room being all old. I would guess she is going to run into the brotherhood especially with the hound continually making fun of the priest guy for being old and balding.

-- It was nice change of pace to encounter a group of random soldiers who were just, you know, friendly.

-- I love Arya, and her revenge is cool, but it's a little morally uncomplicated for my tastes. (I prefer the Lady Stoneheart revenge arc from the books, which is cool but makes you start thinking hey, is this kind of just as bad as the thing they are avenging?)
I think these two point actually go together and will begin to bring the morality into aria's revenge arc. Previously all she has encountered are pure good and pure evil characters really, now she finds a group of Lannister soldiers who are genuinely kind and want to go home to see there families. I feel like they are trying to hint at a not all Lannister people are bad, maybe you should go be with your brother and sister kind of vibe.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 01:52:30 pm »

Unlike mcmc, I did actually like the drama in the north just fine. Jon and Sansa aren't opposed to each other, but they're not always on the same page, and the show has done a good job of setting that up: of course Sansa cares more about King's Landing stuff, she's never actually seen the White Walkers or zombies, whereas of course Jon cares more about the Night's King, he's existed outside traditional dynasty politics. And it makes sense for Sansa to feel a little slighted by Jon becoming king, and she's clearly been influenced by both Cersei and Littlefinger. I even found it totally believable for Sansa to think disinheriting the Karstarks and Umbers was right, and for Jon to disagree. So there was a lot of northern tension that I thought was surprisingly well grounded in believable conflict.
I guess I should elaborate, I loved all of that scene. It was specifically after when they are walking outside and Sansa says she thinks John is really good at this, she just delivers the line really genuinely only to really feel the opposite and I think her character is supposed to feel like she would be doing a better job. I may be off on where the show wants her character to go but I really think they are setting her up to make a power play against John and so some of these kind "I'm worried about you and don't want you to end up like rob and Ned" statements are going to fly in the face of that. And I really didn't get she acted so old toward littlefinger it seems like she doesn't like him and thinks he just wants to get with her, but then she should be pretty happy because she's got him wrapped around her finger and not all annoyed like his prescence is a problem.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 01:54:05 pm »

Side grumble didn't it take like months to get from the wall to the third eyed raven with hodor carying bran and somehow girl reed dragged bran all the way back the the wall in an evening?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 02:17:30 pm »

Side grumble didn't it take like months to get from the wall to the third eyed raven with hodor carying bran and somehow girl reed dragged bran all the way back the the wall in an evening?

Uncle Benjen helped! But yes the show increasingly takes great liberties with geography. Varys went all the way from Mereen to Dorne and back to meet up with the fleet before it reached Dragonstone, Arya went from Braavos to the Twins in an episode, yet somehow it took Sam an entire season to get to Oldtown? Plus everybody moves around the north like it's no big deal, when in reality the north is gigantic and the Wall isn't anywhere near Winterfell.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 03:14:41 pm »
+2

And here we have a thread where two brothers engage in a public discussion of game of thrones.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 03:36:31 pm »

And here we have a thread where two brothers engage in a public discussion of game of thrones.
Well it would be great if other people joined in and the forum is easier to structure long form discussion than text so there!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3182
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 04:39:52 pm »

It was great!

I don't at all agree about Sansa. I think she's one of the characters with the longest and best development. I was so happy when she was still alive at the beginning of last season.

start:  Super naive, has no idea how the world works, dumb girl fantasies
-> Realizes her fantasies were BS but thinks joffrey is just evil and others are good
->– Gradually realizes that the world is terrible. Does tons of wrong decisions through bad luck. Gradually gets smarter
-> Disillusioned pragmatism

She's no Margery, and she won't be, because, well, she's just less intelligent. But I think she pretty much completed her arc.

Right now she just wants the same as John, to survive and protect everyone. I don't think she wants to be queen or has status concerns. Littlefinger wants her to be queen, but what gave you the impression that she wants it too? I think if you don't assume that it makes more sense. Or did I forget some crucial scene?

@costumes: I'm not the type to pay any attention but I agree that it's a bad move. I heard someone point out that the high sparrow followers had really authentic, primitive weapons last season, so it's a big disappointing if they didn't put more thought into it this time.

The cuts in the library were really funny. It just kept going.

Quote from: Robz
It was nice change of pace to encounter a group of random soldiers who were just, you know, friendly.
Totally agreed. it's only logical that those exist, too. I'm glad there wasn't a twist there.

I also liked the last scene there. I actually tried to come up with a reason for why Arya would go to King's Landing when she was asked, but I couldn't come up with anything. And the way I read the scene was also that she didn't want to say the truth but just couldn't come up with any believably reason.

I'm curious how other people felt about the opening. I thought it was interesting that they used the break to allow the possibility that the scene was showing us what happend prior to walda frey's death and actually thought that was what they were doing untill (s)he told the daughter not to drink the wine. We're other people caught off guard or did you think it had to be arya since she just killed him?
I immediately thought it must be one of the two and also immediately suspected poison. When Walder/Arya didn't drink it was clear.

Don't they put the last book into 2 seasons? So isn't it 4 more episodes, rather than 3 less? (14 episodes for 1 book.)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 04:43:16 pm »

I think it's possible that several months have passed (-> Jora). I assume you don't need quite as long to cross the narrow sea, but the story lines don't necessary all happen on a linear timescale.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 04:50:12 pm »

I think it's possible that several months have passed (-> Jora). I assume you don't need quite as long to cross the narrow sea, but the story lines don't necessary all happen on a linear timescale.
I agree they must just be showing the different storylines at different times, it just gets awkward when it's pretty clear John and arya have picked up days after the left off and varys/Sam/bran have had a long passage of time since we last saw them.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 05:09:32 pm »

I don't at all agree about Sansa. I think she's one of the characters with the longest and best development. I was so happy when she was still alive at the beginning of last season.

start:  Super naive, has no idea how the world works, dumb girl fantasies
-> Realizes her fantasies were BS but thinks joffrey is just evil and others are good
->– Gradually realizes that the world is terrible. Does tons of wrong decisions through bad luck. Gradually gets smarter
-> Disillusioned pragmatism

Right now she just wants the same as John, to survive and protect everyone. I don't think she wants to be queen or has status concerns. Littlefinger wants her to be queen, but what gave you the impression that she wants it too? I think if you don't assume that it makes more sense. Or did I forget some crucial scene?
I agree with what you say about Sansa's arc, that's where I think she is now. Where I get lost is the jump to why should she have the same feelings about wanting to protect anyone. We have never gotten to see Sansa love the north, or their people. We haven't gotten to see her the way we have seen John torn over wanting to help rob, we haven't had any development really with Sansa and other starks other than her sassing arya and John in early seasons. I think Sansa's only believable motives at this point are vengeance against the boltons and anyone involved in her suffering and self preservation. So with that in mind John wanting to do what's for "the greater good" puts Sansa at risk. I wish I could understand her wanting to help the people of the north out it's just not there. Also I don't think you missed any scene but the end of last season they did sort of zoom in on Sansa as the banner men were chanting "king in the north" and then cut to littlefinger smirking as though to say they will never put you before him. So it's that scene that I know don't get meshing with her talking to littlefinger and being all snarky towards him and telling brienne "I know what he wants" whatever that is.

I also liked the last scene there. I actually tried to come up with a reason for why Arya would go to King's Landing when she was asked, but I couldn't come up with anything. And the way I read the scene was also that she didn't want to say the truth but just couldn't come up with any believably reason.
What's even more interesting is that we know she has fully passed assasin school and can at any moment have a story 100% foolproof and fake, so I don't think it's that she couldn't come up with a lie, but that she didn't want to lie! If we think back to who arya has spent the last few seasons with she has been around the hound and Jacken Hagar who are both pretty ruthless people(with their own quirks of course), these are the first genuinely nice and normal people she has encountered in forever.

Don't they put the last book into 2 seasons? So isn't it 4 more episodes, rather than 3 less? (14 episodes for 1 book.)
Ah I didn't realize that these two seasons were meant to be covering what will eventually be 1 book. In that case not only is the cast smaller but there will be less plot to cover as well making time even more excited.

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TWM
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 05:11:02 pm »

As for my thoughts on the first episode I would give it an A rating.

I have been very upset about the change to 7 hours as opposed to 10 because other than just wanting more got
I feel like these two statements are mutually exclusive.

If this season had 10 episodes I would have very much enjoyed this episode. But given that there are only 7, the pacing for this episode was too slow, setup too little and barely moved the plot forward. It was basically a season 6 recap. That is fine if you  have 9 more episodes to go. But with only 6 episodes left there isn't the time for lollygagging your way out of the gates.

I liked the episode and enjoyed it very much, but it left me looking at the clock, wondering if it was a great use of limited (self restricted time).
Wins: M91, M96, NM10, M98, M102, M105
Losses: M100, M103, M104, M109, M112

MVPs: M91, M96
Win percentage: 54.5 (6/11)

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TWM
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 05:12:59 pm »
+1

Sam's bedpan/soup scene felt like a TV commercial. Kept expecting something like "Wanna get away? Fly southwest." And him sitting on a beach in the Summer Islands.
Wins: M91, M96, NM10, M98, M102, M105
Losses: M100, M103, M104, M109, M112

MVPs: M91, M96
Win percentage: 54.5 (6/11)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 11:57:29 pm »
+1

Arya is so awesome.

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 05:56:14 pm »
+2

Cersei, Euron and Dany are all utterly stupid in regard to Dragonstone :D

Cersei: You know there is an abandoned castle your enemy is going to take
     --> You don't take it

Euron: You pass Dragonstone twice on your way in and out of Kingslanding
     --> You don't take it

Dany: You walk by yourself as the first person of your faction into an abandoned castle your enemy could have easily taken, placed traps in or anything along those lines
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 06:07:49 pm »

Sam: Dragon glass kills White Walkers.
Stannis: Oh, we have that on Dragonstone.
Sam: Jon, I need to go figure out stuff about dragon glass.
Jon: Okay, is there anything you want to tell me first...
Sam: BYE.
Later
Sam: Eureka, I discovered there's dragon glass on Dragonstone! I must tell Jon.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 06:11:27 pm »

Later

There was a throwaway line from Sam, like "Stannis had said something but I didn't think..." or something.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 06:12:27 pm »
+1

Later

There was a throwaway line from Sam, like "Stannis had said something but I didn't think..." or something.

Yes, that line was an embarrassingly half-hearted attempt to explain this plot hole. It failed.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 06:15:04 pm »

Yeah, I was slightly taken aback by it.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 03:45:40 am »

I'm always watching with my group on Thursdays, so be prepared for me chiming in late on a regular basis...

I wanted to point out that it's actually his wife.

Yeah; there was even talk of leaving Stannis' daughter behind, so apparently the plan was to have some people still be there. But on the other hand, I think I buy that they all fled when they heard that the scary dragon queen and her band of barbaric horsemen was coming for them.

We still have a meetup of her/Arya scheduled, right? I think Melisandre said something to that effect when they last met.

Yep, I wonder where they are going with her. Having one payoff like that is nice, but it shouldn't just keep going. On the other hand I really don't want her to go back to just being a regular Stark daughter and abandoning her vengeance.

Later
Yeah, that's bad. I think the problem is that the Oldtown journey was already set up back in season 5 and now there are no more books and the showrunners didn't quite know what to do there. In the books, Oldtown is definitely shaping up to be a bigger deal, but they couldn't put that into the show.

Does anyone else feel like the conflict in the south is looking rather disappointing right now? I mean on one side we have Daenerys, 3 awesome dragons, a whole bunch of likable characters plus the Queen of Thorns allied with Dorne, on the other side there are mostly villains with no troops and no food, plus Jaime who isn't really committed to the whole thing. There needs to be a major change to shake that up, and that's either Dany becoming more morally muddled or a big power shift (my money's on Euron luring away a dragon).

The interesting thing is how Dany reacts to the White Walker threat. I hope she goes "sure I'll save Westeros... as soon as all of it has sworn fealty to its rightful queen!"
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 04:03:27 am »

That's what I've been wondering the entire break. Right now power is extremely one-sided. Daenerys has the Tyrell army (the largest army in Westeros?), Dorne, half of the iron fleet, and 8000 Unsullid, and all the Dothraki, and dragons. Versus, not much.

But we all know that the right fight has to be against the White Walkers. Wouldn't it be kind of... symbolic if there is no dramatic change and Cersei just gets rolled over easily (or dies to Arya or gets killed by Jaimie before that can even happen)? It would show that if you destroy everything in your path, even if you get what you want it isn't worth much anymore.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 08:58:56 am »

I wanted to point out that it's actually his wife.
*insert road to el dorado "why not both" gif.

We still have a meetup of her/Arya scheduled, right? I think Melisandre said something to that effect when they last met.
Oh an arya/Melissandra/gendri reunion would be fun with Melli all reformed and not kingsblood crazy and arya dealing with being crazy since the last time she saw gendri who she totally had a crush on and maybe he can cause her to be morally questionable.

Does anyone else feel like the conflict in the south is looking rather disappointing right now? I mean on one side we have Daenerys, 3 awesome dragons, a whole bunch of likable characters plus the Queen of Thorns allied with Dorne, on the other side there are mostly villains with no troops and no food, plus Jaime who isn't really committed to the whole thing. There needs to be a major change to shake that up, and that's either Dany becoming more morally muddled or a big power shift (my money's on Euron luring away a dragon).

The interesting thing is how Dany reacts to the White Walker threat. I hope she goes "sure I'll save Westeros... as soon as all of it has sworn fealty to its rightful queen!"
That an amazing theory, I was wondering what euron was going to get for cerci because there isn't anything she wants that isn't one of dany/tyrell/varus/dorn lady dead and it would be silly to have him like assasinate one of them but a dragon makes perfect sense!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.