Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: i think fool's gold might suck a little bit  (Read 1512 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
i think fool's gold might suck a little bit
« on: July 05, 2017, 05:57:47 pm »
+3

table: fool's gold, chariot race, farmers' market, fortress, horse traders, miser, noble brigand, spice merchant, counterfeit, market; advance

back in the day, "fool's gold is there and there are good trashing and good buys but no draw" meant hey! let's go fool's gold guys! but here i almost entirely skipped it (i got 1) and opponent got 9 and i got 8ish chariot races and a bunch of expensive cards, as well as a few farmer's markets, and ended the game with 28 vp tokens and 5 provinces (opponent took 2 duchies several times when there wer 2-4 provinces left because i got a VP advantage very quickly)

a lot of the "please try to get a bunch of these and then end the game" type cards like ill-gotten gains (sort of a while ago), fool's gold (perhaps more recently but it is more relevant in engines, with e.g. wharf) and even rebuild and terminal draw bm have been in decline, not only because engines but also because of the huge inflow of mediocre cards that fit nicely in goodstuff deck — this was a bit of a special case because chariot race sort of specifically counters fool's gold but at the same time the game sort of wasn't close, and i think even something with fortress/market/farmers' markets would have been competitive absent chariot races.

anyone else observe puddles of adventures/empires/even second edition cards beating more classic-y stuff in non-engine games? cantrips + swamp hag or haunted woods comes to mind as well
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
Re: i think fool's gold might suck a little bit
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 06:54:41 pm »
+1

Chariot Race does seem like the key card on the board.  I like Fool's Gold over Farmers' Market, though.  While Fool's Gold hurts in the C Race minigame, Farmers' Markets aren't much better and the Fool's Gold player should have more Provinces.  Also, Fool's Gold works nicely with Counterfeit and trashing on the opponent's Province buy with a Chariot Race in hand is really slick.  I could be wrong, though.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 04:53:27 am »
+1

Advance/Fortress/Market looks nice!

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 12:26:17 pm »
+1

This is like 100% because Chariot Race slog is basically a hard counter to Fools Gold "BM". Your opponent is filling their deck with low cost cards, making Chariot Race easily score points. If you wanted to get fancy about it, you could try having a Noble Brigand in there just to purge the top card of their deck in case of Province.

Finally with all the +Buy, Fortress, Advance, etc. it's just too easy to get a flood ofgoodcantripsgoong.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 20 queries.