Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: World championship 2017  (Read 17114 times)

Nate Hoam

• Pawn
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: World championship 2017
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 06:41:49 pm »
+4

I may be able to shed some light.

I have been involved with the Dominion World Masters since it was moved to Gen Con. The first year Jay ran the tournament, but every year since I have been in charge of putting it together. The tournament is a truncated round robin that awards 5 points for first, 3 for second and 1 for third. After three games if there is a clear winner the tournament ends. If not it proceeds to a fourth round. In 2016 we separated the Gen Con portion from the world masters and advanced the top qualifiers from Gen Con to the world masters on Sunday. I will post the top finishers from 2017 in a later post.

If you have any questions on the 2017 Dominion World Masters, please let me know.

Nate Hoam

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 08:21:28 pm »

In 2 semifinals rounds the top 6 players were identified and another round was played to rank those 6 players. So we had enough players to get to the 9 we wanted. We promised the top 2 players from Saturday they would be in the finals. We told the others they were alternates. On Sunday only 4 of the 5 showed up for the finals from the winners of other tournaments. So we used 5 from Saturday.

Thanks for the info. I'm just trying to understand this. You had 5 pre-qualified coming in, correct? Those go straight to the finals? You promised the top 2 players from Saturday they would be in the finals, but didn't you know then that you actually needed at least 4 of those players? Since 1 pre-qualified player didn't show up, it ended up being 5 instead.

In any case, I was not saying that any player did less of an accomplishment because of how that player ended up in the finals or won them. That kind of judgment is just outside of what I was talking about.

rickert

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
    • Rick's Rec Room
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 09:11:28 pm »
+1

But we didn't know if somebody won a tournament and just didn't let Rio know they intended to come to Indy for GenCon. We wanted to have 9 but we wanted the priority to be given to those who qualified outside and were promised a spot.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 12:00:04 am »

...either Tristan or a troll...
[-1] Repetitive

Tristan is more than just a troll. He is a person with full-fledged mental issues who had no control over his emotions. I don't see any lolcow troll continuing to make accounts flaming, sending nasty PMs, and spouting off opinions despite not being wanted.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:01:57 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12867
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 06:42:40 am »

I don't see any lolcow troll continuing to make accounts flaming, sending nasty PMs, and spouting off opinions despite not being wanted.

I have seen that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Nate Hoam

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 08:23:21 am »
+2

The standings from the 2017 World Masters Dominion Tournament

1st - Adam Horton

2nd - Joshua Kronenberg
         Suzette Mariotti

4th - William Beagle
        Pierce Bowker (aka Ryan Echternacht)
        Shaila Kuchibhotla
        Seisuke Nakamuro
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:36:31 pm by Nate Hoam »

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 08:48:03 am »

1st - Adam Horton

2nd - Joshua Kronenberg
         Suzette Mariotti

4th - William Beagle
        Pierce Bowker
        Shaila Kuchibolta
        Seisuke Nakamuro

So third place is missing. If you were in charge of the tournament, why don't you have the name of all the participants?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 08:49:44 am »
+4

Not sure if serious, but if yes, there are 2 second places.

rickert

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • Rick's Rec Room
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 09:13:47 am »
+2

1st - Adam Horton

2nd - Joshua Kronenberg
         Suzette Mariotti

4th - William Beagle
        Pierce Bowker
        Shaila Kuchibolta
        Seisuke Nakamuro

So third place is missing. If you were in charge of the tournament, why don't you have the name of all the participants?

Oh he was very much in charge of the tournament and your question is either silly or intentionally demeaning.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2017, 09:51:42 am »
+1

I was not doubting that he was in charge, I was just surprised that the organizer somehow missed a player's name. But I see now that it wasn't the case. Since I was expecting the Mexican champion, "Pablo", in third place per earlier posts in this thread, I failed to take into account that you skip a place when there are two people in the place above it. Sorry about that.

In any case, there are some weird discrepancies with jsh357's rundown. He has 9 players, but doesn't have Pierce Bowker, meaning either Jim Mounce (pre-qualified) or Ryan Echternacht was not in the tournament. He also has Pablo and Ryan(!) among the top 6 players.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:05:00 am by Jeebus »

rickert

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • Rick's Rec Room
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2017, 10:12:50 am »

I was not involved with the points so I don't know all the rankings but do know that Pablo and Jim were there. It was Pablo's win in the very last game that prevented a head-to-head, 2-player game for the title. Pablo hadn't won in the first 2 rounds and he was playing against 2 of the players who had a win and a second going into the third round.

Nate Hoam

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 12:31:23 pm »

I can list the remaining places if you would like. I didn't think anyone would be interested in places beyond fourth. As I recall Pablo was 8th and Paul was 9th.

Ryan Echternacht was not one of the finalists or alternates.

(Apparently Ryan was masquerading as Pierce Bowker. The list above has been amended.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:39:07 pm by Nate Hoam »

ryan.echternacht

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 09:40:11 pm »
+1

Ryan Echternacht was not one of the finalists or alternates.

Actually, I was Pierce Bowker :). I was super lazy about Gencon, and picked up a pass from a friend of a friend the day before Gencon started. I wasn't sure when/if I should take off my glasses and reveal my true identify at the tournament, but I (and Adam) was hoping I would win just to force me to. Then he trounced me in game 3 and it was a non-issue.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:41:31 pm by ryan.echternacht »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.