Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Donate and Possession  (Read 1713 times)

rubikbeggar

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: mistgun
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Donate and Possession
« on: July 04, 2017, 01:54:04 pm »

I'm asking this because on the wiki, there's this statement on Donate's FAQ:

• This happens between turns, and so Possession (from Dominion: Alchemy) will no longer be doing anything.

And I just don't understand what it means, so could you clarify ?
My first thought was "?", and when I stopped to think, the only meaning I could find was "This happen after the Possession turn if there is one." But I find that totally illogical, I'd rather think that you would get to choose which one happens first, no ?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Re: Donate and Possession
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 01:57:27 pm »
+1

Possession lets you take control of the player's next turn. If you buy Donate on the Possessed turn, your Possession effect ends before Donate triggers, so you don't get to choose what cards the Possessed player trashes.

Edit: The Secret History says Donate used to happen at clean-up, instead of between turns. This had to happen because of a quirk in Possession. If you trash any cards in the Possessed turn, they go back to the discard at end of turn, after clean-up, meaning after you draw your hand for the next turn. If Donate happened at clean-up, you could do this:

1. Play Possession.
2. On possessed turn, buy Donate.
3. Choose to trash everything in clean-up.
4. Opponent's deck now has 0 cards in it. Their hand for next turn is 0 cards.
5. Trashed cards go back to discard, but opponent can't do anything with them.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 02:03:44 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

rubikbeggar

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: mistgun
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 01:59:15 pm »

Ok, so it's just to avoid an obvious Pin, isn't it ?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 03:37:26 pm »
+1

Ok, so it's just to avoid an obvious Pin, isn't it ?
Yes.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 05:13:29 pm »
+1

This had to happen because of a quirk in Possession.

Man, how many nickels would Donald have given how many times this very thing has come up?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Loempiaverkoper

• Scout
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 07:19:27 am »

Possession lets you take control of the player's next turn. If you buy Donate on the Possessed turn, your Possession effect ends before Donate triggers, so you don't get to choose what cards the Possessed player trashes.
So if I get this straight. If I play multiple Possessions and thus get to have multiple of the opponents turns in a row. The 'in between turns time' starts with the 'after this turn time', where Donate happens, and is still controlled by my opponent, because it falls outside of his (possesed) turns.

I find it confusing to know who is in control outside of the turns, because Donate just says 'you' are.
I think I got it figured out like this:
'You' refers to the one who plays and buys the card, which is in all cases the owner of the deck. It is just that (during the turn!) their choices are made by the player who played Possession.

Is this correct?

EDIT:
This weird case seems to fall within this explanation at least. B posseses Q. Possesed Q plays a lot of cards and buys some emporiums, B gains those emporiums without points, because B does not have actions in play.

Question: Would this mean that 'when you buy' effects happen to the possessed player, while 'when you gain' effects happen to the possessing player?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:56:21 am by Loempiaverkoper »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 08:03:35 am »
+3

Question: Would this mean that 'when you buy' effects happen to the possessed player, while 'when you gain' effects happen to the possessing player?
Yes, because the possessee is the one buying the cards, but the possessor is the one gaining them.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.