Dominion > Rules Questions

Donate and Possession

(1/2) > >>

rubikbeggar:
I'm asking this because on the wiki, there's this statement on Donate's FAQ:

• This happens between turns, and so Possession (from Dominion: Alchemy) will no longer be doing anything.

And I just don't understand what it means, so could you clarify ?
My first thought was "?", and when I stopped to think, the only meaning I could find was "This happen after the Possession turn if there is one." But I find that totally illogical, I'd rather think that you would get to choose which one happens first, no ?

Titandrake:
Possession lets you take control of the player's next turn. If you buy Donate on the Possessed turn, your Possession effect ends before Donate triggers, so you don't get to choose what cards the Possessed player trashes.

Edit: The Secret History says Donate used to happen at clean-up, instead of between turns. This had to happen because of a quirk in Possession. If you trash any cards in the Possessed turn, they go back to the discard at end of turn, after clean-up, meaning after you draw your hand for the next turn. If Donate happened at clean-up, you could do this:

1. Play Possession.
2. On possessed turn, buy Donate.
3. Choose to trash everything in clean-up.
4. Opponent's deck now has 0 cards in it. Their hand for next turn is 0 cards.
5. Trashed cards go back to discard, but opponent can't do anything with them.

rubikbeggar:
Ok, so it's just to avoid an obvious Pin, isn't it ?

Donald X.:

--- Quote from: rubikbeggar on July 04, 2017, 01:59:15 pm ---Ok, so it's just to avoid an obvious Pin, isn't it ?

--- End quote ---
Yes.

Kirian:

--- Quote from: Titandrake on July 04, 2017, 01:57:27 pm ---This had to happen because of a quirk in Possession.
--- End quote ---

Man, how many nickels would Donald have given how many times this very thing has come up?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version