Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: A Link to the Past Randomizer  (Read 15650 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: A Link to the Past Randomizer
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 11:05:59 pm »

Yeah, I'm used to the GBA version where you keep the shovel after getting the ocarina.  I'm not sure about whether or not you can do the digging game earlier though.

There's a GBA version of LTTP? And they changed the way the shovel works?

I can see the advantage to keeping the shovel; sometimes digging around is a quicker way to get magic when you need it.

Yeah, it's bundled with Four Swords.  I'm guessing they weren't sure how many people would actually play Four Swords so they decided to put LTTP along with it.  It's mostly exactly the same, but with a few minor changes.

Ah, I had heard Four Swords called Link to the Past Four Swords before, but I didn't realize that was because the original Link to the Past was included as something separate from Four Swords; I thought that Four Swords was a multiplayer remake version of LTTP.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 12:05:39 am »

Yeah, I'm used to the GBA version where you keep the shovel after getting the ocarina.  I'm not sure about whether or not you can do the digging game earlier though.

There's a GBA version of LTTP? And they changed the way the shovel works?

I can see the advantage to keeping the shovel; sometimes digging around is a quicker way to get magic when you need it.

Yeah, it's bundled with Four Swords.  I'm guessing they weren't sure how many people would actually play Four Swords so they decided to put LTTP along with it.  It's mostly exactly the same, but with a few minor changes.

Ah, I had heard Four Swords called Link to the Past Four Swords before, but I didn't realize that was because the original Link to the Past was included as something separate from Four Swords; I thought that Four Swords was a multiplayer remake version of LTTP.

No, Four Swords is completely different.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 05:54:50 pm »
+1

You don't actually need the shovel to do the digging game. When you pay the guy 80 rupees your item is switched to the shovel automatically until time runs out or you leave the screen. Assuming you can get into the village of outcasts, digging game is open.

Correct. In the real LTTP game; you lose the shovel permanently when you dig up the ocarina. Doing the digging game is no different with or without the shovel in your possession.

(If you do have the shovel, you could keep digging after the time runs out; but it would be just like digging anywhere else in the world; the field only contains extra money and a special item during the game).

I parsed this as "just like digging IRL".  I want to stick with that though.  Digging IRL is largely a crapshoot.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 06:03:39 pm »

To elaborate on 4 swords being completely different, like, screenshots will make it look like it's similar gameplay to LttP, because a lot of the same tropes appear, but it's way different.  You tend to encounter hordes of small weak enemies that you are required to clear to move, instead of a few tough enemies that challenge you to decide whether clearing them is a better alternative to evading them.  The puzzles are trivial, to the point of being a form of going through the motions that should have been excluded from the experimental game entirely.  (I feel like the combat was decent at what it was trying to be, they could have stuck with that and expanded on it.  If you picked your favorite item and wielded it to kill the small, weak enemies a little faster than your teammates, at the end of the level you got a little sticker that said "a winner is you".

The game is 100% linear.

Afaik, it holds the first appearance of the trope of touching grass with the fire rod actually burning away the environment around you, as repeated in BotW, so that's kinda cool.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 05:22:54 pm »

Keysanity seems like an absolute nightmare.

Once I've got some free time I'll try one.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 02:00:27 am »

Keysanity seems like an absolute nightmare.

Once I've got some free time I'll try one.

I just tried one, and the Palace of Darkness crashed whenever I got a key, map, or compass.  I looked it up and somebody else had that problem too.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 01:06:47 am »

I just did an entrance randomizer key-sanity run.  4:26:38, but I got pretty unlucky with several things and made a few mistakes.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 09:26:12 am »

AGDQ is running a randomizer race tomorrow night.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2018, 05:03:47 pm »

I watched the VoD of this today. Really good race, commentary was funny throughout. I feel like they didn't explain things especially well, particularly towards the start, but as someone who knows how these things work anyway, that wasn't too much of a concern for me.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2018, 10:51:21 am »

I watched the VoD of this today. Really good race, commentary was funny throughout. I feel like they didn't explain things especially well, particularly towards the start, but as someone who knows how these things work anyway, that wasn't too much of a concern for me.

Yeah, it's amazing how they can be on completely different paths and even to the point of accomplishing completely different things (Kristos beat Misery Mire; Andy didn't); and then end up walking into Ganon's tower literally 7 seconds apart from each other.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2018, 11:12:54 pm »

I started my first race of this today, I've been watching it quite a bit lately. I know where most of the item locations are, but learning how to clear the dungeons is going to take a lot of work. I'm excited to start trying this and I'm hoping to have a lot of fun with it.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2018, 02:49:20 am »

Excellent. I'm up for racing anyone at some point if people are interested. Not exactly good at it, but it could be fun.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2018, 09:58:56 am »

I still enjoy watching this; but I haven't played it since last year. I wish AGDQ/SGDQ would do more races of it.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2018, 11:57:41 am »
+1

I still enjoy watching this; but I haven't played it since last year. I wish AGDQ/SGDQ would do more races of it.

There's almost always a tournament of this going on and a lot are broadcast on twitch. I find them better than AGDQ, since it's the same experience minus the donations.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2018, 11:06:51 pm »
+4

This is the most amazing race I’ve seen:

Just completely unbelievable that it could end as a tie, given how completely different things were for each runner throughout. One runner having the boots, the other having silvers. Boots being just enough to make Andy catch up and get a decent lead in GT, then the silvers being exactly enough to catch back up on Ganon. Simply amazing.

And congrats to Andy for winning the tournament!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2018, 03:32:16 pm »
+1

I watched that race after noticing it was getting a lot of views, definitely would recommend.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.