Miscellaneous > Other Games

A Link to the Past Randomizer

(1/9) > >>

GendoIkari:
So when I'm unable to play Breath of the Wild because my wife is busy, I've found a new Zelda game to occupy my time... A Link to the Past Randomizer. This is a rom hack (actually a web-based software that hacks a rom you provide it) that randomizes the locations of all 200-some items that you get in the game from chests, bosses, NPCs, and things just sitting there in secret caves and such.

So while you normally start in your house and open a chest to get the lantern immediately, that chest could have anything, such as a Hookshot, Moon Pearl, or most likely just some rupees (nearly a quarter of all chest items in the game are just rupees).

So basically you have a lot of the skill and fun of regular Zelda 3, combined with a lot more puzzle solving, feeling a lot like an escape-the-room puzzle. You have to know where you can go without any items to check chests; then once you get something like the hammer, you have to know what new locations that opened up for you to check. Ultimately you need to  get all 7 crystals to get in Gannon's tower and beat the game like normal.

The programming uses logic to ensure that it will never be impossible to beat the game (the hammer can't be in a chest that requires the hammer to get to).

If you're a fan of A Link to the Past, I highly recommend it. I've played through about 8 times now. My best time is 3:01. Speed runners who play the game in race formats competitively take about 1:30.

Website for the game.

Tables:
WanderingWinder and I actually met each other on Twitch watching a race of an aLttP randomizer, which was nice. They're great fun, you do need good knowledge but it's very rewarding.

My best time so far was just under 2 hours I think, I've done about four of them and improved down from 4:30 to 3 hours to 2:30 to 2:00, but that last one was reasonably lucky. I need to learn some of the main minor glitches (fake flippers, which lets you swim in certain places without flippers; Silverless Ganon, which is exactly what it sounds like; a few of the major bomb jumps, most notably in Ice Palace to cut several minutes off of the dungeon), and then I'm gonna sign up for the next tournament.

GendoIkari:
Nice! I've never gotten into actually speedrunning myself; though I do try to improve my PB. But I don't try to use minor glitches. Except that I did do Silverless Gannon for the first time recently. That one is almost necessary depending on the seed; it could be the difference between winning now or doing up to 3 extra dungeons looking just for the arrows.

scotty2hotty:
I just got my first <2hr time (1:55) after maybe 5 full runs and 20 starts. If I get to the Dark World and see Turtle Rock is required, and the run isn't otherwise going well, I often quit. Though I am improving at TR – the 1:55 run required it.

For glitches, I found fake flippers quick to learn and often useful. I'm trying to learn the important bomb jumps but I haven't practiced them enough to do reliably. And man, dark rooms / silverless Ganon just don't sound like fun, though I do attempt them when they come up.

It's a really fun game, especially given how it was retrofitted onto the original game's mechanics and design. If there was an indie game with a similar concept and equally satisfying mechanics, I'd be all over it.

GendoIkari:
My best is now 2:33... and I still don't care to really try to get to real speed-running levels.

I did just recently learn the Ice Palace bomb jump. However, I haven't figured out the rest of that dungeon for when you aren't in Go Mode already. But if you don't need any chests, that dungeon is amazingly fast with that bomb jump. I've can do Fake Flippers and hookshot-dash superspeed as well.

Just today I had the worst seed I've played yet. Even though Turtle Rock wasn't required (and never had to enter it), everything else was terrible. I had to go into many dungeons that I couldn't complete yet before I found either the lamp or ocarina, meaning Death Mountain was cut off (I haven't learned Death Mountain passage in the dark). Also, I didn't have a sword until after all that (I always play open mode). Ended with a little under 4 hours, after having to do silverless Ganon, which I'm bad at.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version