Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A Link to the Past Randomizer  (Read 114 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6681
    • View Profile
A Link to the Past Randomizer
« on: July 04, 2017, 02:56:55 am »
+5

So when I'm unable to play Breath of the Wild because my wife is busy, I've found a new Zelda game to occupy my time... A Link to the Past Randomizer. This is a rom hack (actually a web-based software that hacks a rom you provide it) that randomizes the locations of all 200-some items that you get in the game from chests, bosses, NPCs, and things just sitting there in secret caves and such.

So while you normally start in your house and open a chest to get the lantern immediately, that chest could have anything, such as a Hookshot, Moon Pearl, or most likely just some rupees (nearly a quarter of all chest items in the game are just rupees).

So basically you have a lot of the skill and fun of regular Zelda 3, combined with a lot more puzzle solving, feeling a lot like an escape-the-room puzzle. You have to know where you can go without any items to check chests; then once you get something like the hammer, you have to know what new locations that opened up for you to check. Ultimately you need to  get all 7 crystals to get in Gannon's tower and beat the game like normal.

The programming uses logic to ensure that it will never be impossible to beat the game (the hammer can't be in a chest that requires the hammer to get to).

If you're a fan of A Link to the Past, I highly recommend it. I've played through about 8 times now. My best time is 3:01. Speed runners who play the game in race formats competitively take about 1:30.

Website for the game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3130
    • View Profile
Re: A Link to the Past Randomizer
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 12:43:23 pm »

WanderingWinder and I actually met each other on Twitch watching a race of an aLttP randomizer, which was nice. They're great fun, you do need good knowledge but it's very rewarding.

My best time so far was just under 2 hours I think, I've done about four of them and improved down from 4:30 to 3 hours to 2:30 to 2:00, but that last one was reasonably lucky. I need to learn some of the main minor glitches (fake flippers, which lets you swim in certain places without flippers; Silverless Ganon, which is exactly what it sounds like; a few of the major bomb jumps, most notably in Ice Palace to cut several minutes off of the dungeon), and then I'm gonna sign up for the next tournament.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
I hereby declare myself the best dominion player in the world. Obviously.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6681
    • View Profile
Re: A Link to the Past Randomizer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 12:50:17 pm »

Nice! I've never gotten into actually speedrunning myself; though I do try to improve my PB. But I don't try to use minor glitches. Except that I did do Silverless Gannon for the first time recently. That one is almost necessary depending on the seed; it could be the difference between winning now or doing up to 3 extra dungeons looking just for the arrows.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.