Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: If there were alternative terms for TfB, I'd switch over immediately  (Read 8952 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
+1

Man, trash for benefit. It's such a crappy term. It's even worse than "village". Here are all the problems with it:

1) It means different things to different people. Apprentice is clearly TfB according to everyone, but some might say that Forager is TfB because the benefit is dependent on trashing something and some would say that it's not because it doesn't depend on the cost of the trashed card.

2) It's not an overwhelmingly useful term, partially because of its ambiguity too, but mostly because regardless of its meaning, it doesn't ever encompass all of the things that have everything relevant in common with the things that it does encompass. If the point is to care about cost, the part about trashing isn't really relevant and stuff like Chariot Race should be included in the same category. If the point is that you're trashing something while you also maintain tempo, then cards like Masquerade and Loan should be included in the group. If the point is that you need to keep replacing the cards you trash in order to keep benefiting, then stuff like Pillage should be included. All three of these categories have reasons why they are useful for strategy discussion, but it might be the huge overlap with "TfB" that's preventing these categories from entering the picture.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
Re: If there were alternative terms for TfB, I'd switch over immediately
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 07:23:39 pm »

One of these definitions can just be replaced with "Cards that make Rats work". Is it a useful thing to talk about? Probably not(or only with relation to Rats), but it fits that particular definition better than TfB.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 09:41:15 pm »
+2

One of these definitions can just be replaced with "Cards that make Rats work". Is it a useful thing to talk about? Probably not(or only with relation to Rats), but it fits that particular definition better than TfB.

I once made Rats work with Market Square and Embassy.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 11:39:30 pm »
+6

I don't think I've ever had an issue with this?

To me, a trash-for-benefit card is a card that trashes other cards and does something based on the trashed card's cost.

The other concepts are important too, but it's not like that definition of trash-for-benefit is preventing you from talking about the other cards that don't meet that definition.

I've never seen anybody run into a strategical mental block because they had a slightly different definition of trash-for-benefit.

If you think people do have a mental block on this, think about what name you'd give to the other examples and write something about it. If you have good things to say, it'll catch on.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 11:41:40 pm »
+24

"thing cruncher"
"expensofriend"
"lower-left value theft"
"recycle for utility"
"put it in the pile, something makes you smile"
"destructive money uppers"
"current american politics" (read: pursuit of economic value resulting in casualty; great for walls)
"elizabeth"
"figurative cheese shredders"
"fortress? rats? i'll take thats!"
"cards that aim to increase the potential utility of your deck (either directly or indirectly) that also necessarily trash one or more cards in doing so (but the aforementioned increase in utility is separate from the trashing event itself); a meaningful grouping of these cards would likely stipulate that the improvement in potential utility is discriminatory of the card(s) trashed (for example, causing a greater increase in utility with greater cost of the card trashed, or having different effects based on the type of card trashed) but potentially discourse would lead to the conclusion that any effect of trashing a card and subsequently separately increasing utility ought to fit under this grouping"
"meat grinders, in general, not just butcher"
"card reeducation"
"a use for gold, finally"

hope this helps
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:55:00 pm by schadd »
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 11:42:28 pm »
+1

I don't think I've ever had an issue with this?

To me, a trash-for-benefit card is a card that trashes other cards and does something based on the trashed card's cost.

The other concepts are important too, but it's not like that definition of trash-for-benefit is preventing you from talking about the other cards that don't meet that definition.

I've never seen anybody run into a strategical mental block because they had a slightly different definition of trash-for-benefit.

If you think people do have a mental block on this, think about what name you'd give to the other examples and write something about it. If you have good things to say, it'll catch on.

I personally do ask the question "would I use the trashing portion on a fortress in hand for free if I could"

this covers things such as Mercenary and Forager as also being TfB

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 05:41:52 am »

It doesn't have to be the trashed card's cost, but it does have to be some feature of the trashed card that is different for different targets. (Transmute and Counterfeit are trash for benefit, but do not care about their targets' cost.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 01:03:05 pm »

The other concepts are important. The concept of "trash a card and get a benefit based on its cost" is not, because it's just an arbitrary intersection of those other concepts.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 04:07:36 am »
+2

My favorite card that aims to increase the potential utility of your deck (either directly or indirectly) that also necessarily trashes one or more cards in doing so (but the aforementioned increase in utility is separate from the trashing event itself); a meaningful grouping of these cards would likely stipulate that the improvement in potential utility is discriminatory of the card(s) trashed (for example, causing a greater increase in utility with greater cost of the card trashed, or having different effects based on the type of card trashed) but potentially discourse would lead to the conclusion that any effect of trashing a card and subsequently separately increasing utility ought to fit under this grouping is Trade Route. It trashes, it gives buy, it gives coin, and it has a mental game to it. You open estate and all bets are off for your poor opponent. Can any other card that aims to increase the potential utility of your deck (either directly or indirectly) that also necessarily trashes one or more cards in doing so (but the aforementioned increase in utility is separate from the trashing event itself); a meaningful grouping of these cards would likely stipulate that the improvement in potential utility is discriminatory of the card(s) trashed (for example, causing a greater increase in utility with greater cost of the card trashed, or having different effects based on the type of card trashed) but potentially discourse would lead to the conclusion that any effect of trashing a card and subsequently separately increasing utility ought to fit under this grouping do that? I don't think so!
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 12:14:36 pm »
+1

The simple thing is to use the terminology I have used for years:
1. TfB: anything that requires another card to be trashed to give its benefit. This is important because TfB plays extremely differently with no source of +gain. Take something like Moneylender, with +buy I can set up something like Tac/Mlender/Wv and churn a province every turn off drawing 7 stop cards, 3 cantrips and a few dead VP cards. It only costs me $34 worth of setup costs. Likewise with Apprentice, any sort of +gain drastically changes the number and amount of Apprentices I want (e.g. give me two Hoards and  I will slap every extra $5 to Apprentice, give me no +gain and I will still get one or two just to thin down).

In contrast, straight trashers play basically the same with or without gains. Chapel is exceedingly rarely going to want additional copies and need +gain for anything. Once I have thinned the (last) trasher becomes a dead card (at least in terms of trashing) and I treat it as a curse.

This also contrasts against straight benefit cards. Perhaps the best contrast here is between Altar and Artisan. Both gain $5s, but the former eventually runs out of dross and more quickly builds up value density of your deck. The latter can bulk out the deck (e.g. Gardens, Silk roads, Keep) on net.

TfB cares about +gains, straight trashers do not. Other benefit cards do not care about (junk) card count, TfB does.

2. Net trashers: your deck ends up having fewer cards than before you trashed usually. This is important for things like Remodel, Rats, Transmute, Upgrade (on Poorhouse boards), and the like which cannot be used against garbage to thin back down normally and are hence excluded. Boards with only non-net trashers play very differently than those with net trashers.

3. Limited trashers: these are the trash cards that can only work with some sort of restriction on what they trash - Mlender, Hermit, Procession. Again, these play differently than unrestricted trashers particularly in response to various attacks.

4. Scaling TfB: These care about the cost of the card. Sometimes the play the same as a regular TfB (e.g. Upgrade vs Altar with the only +gain being Workshop on a potion board), but other times they care a bunch about cost.

As always there are a few edge cases (e.g. Masq), but most often cards play differently depending on the class they are in with Scaling TfB playing very differently from non-scaling TfB a lot of the time. Something that is a net trasher plays differently than a non-net trasher.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 12:32:36 pm »

1. TfB: anything that requires another card to be trashed to give its benefit.

So your definition includes Market Square (as it should) but it leaves out Pillage for no reason. Just like all the other cards in this category, Pillage needs you to keep replacing itself in order to get the benefit every time, which means you need more gains.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 12:53:40 pm »
+1

Man, trash for benefit. It's such a crappy term. It's even worse than "village". Here are all the problems with it:

Am I the only person who remembers the discussion about what we should call cantrips, as cantrip was a crappy mtg terms that means nothing to anyone who wasn't a mtg player? Serial card would have been so much more logical.

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 01:34:39 pm »
+1

Am I the only person who remembers the discussion about what we should call cantrips, as cantrip was a crappy mtg terms that means nothing to anyone who wasn't a mtg player? Serial card would have been so much more logical.

I wasn't here for that, but even if cantrip isn't the most intuitive name for it outside of that context, it has one very specific definition (+1 card +1 action).  That is where this conversation diverges, in that Awaclus seems to be saying we need to clarify the exact meaning of TfB or replace it with names for the different classes of TfB rather than just changing the name of 1 very specific and well-defined type of thing.

Edit: "is" -> "isn't" in first sentence.
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 01:44:16 pm »

It doesn't matter what word is being used, really. Cantrip is much less problematic than village and TfB, because at least the category of cards it describes is a useful thing to talk about, and although some people have different definitions for the word, those are rare (I think) and they don't diverge from the usual definition too much to affect how anyone plays the game as a result of thinking of the cantrip category very slightly differently.

PPE:

I wasn't here for that, but even if cantrip isn't the most intuitive name for it outside of that context, it has one very specific definition (+1 card +1 action).

Well, not quite. Cards like Laboratory and Village, which give more than 1 of those resources, and cards like Oasis and Junk Dealer, which give you those exact numbers but require you to lose other stuff from your hand, are some cases where people disagree on whether or not they count as cantrips. Also I think we all agree that Sage is a cantrip even though it doesn't explicitly say +1 card.

But in the grand Scheme of things, I don't think anyone who's aware of the problems of buying too many cantrips will buy too many Oases even if they think Oasis doesn't count as a cantrip, so it's not as bad as people going for big money because there are no "villages" on the board when there's KC.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:47:34 pm by Awaclus »

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 08:32:16 pm »

It doesn't matter what word is being used, really. Cantrip is much less problematic than village and TfB, because at least the category of cards it describes is a useful thing to talk about, and although some people have different definitions for the word, those are rare (I think) and they don't diverge from the usual definition too much to affect how anyone plays the game as a result of thinking of the cantrip category very slightly differently.

PPE:

I wasn't here for that, but even if cantrip isn't the most intuitive name for it outside of that context, it has one very specific definition (+1 card +1 action).

Well, not quite. Cards like Laboratory and Village, which give more than 1 of those resources, and cards like Oasis and Junk Dealer, which give you those exact numbers but require you to lose other stuff from your hand, are some cases where people disagree on whether or not they count as cantrips. Also I think we all agree that Sage is a cantrip even though it doesn't explicitly say +1 card.

But in the grand Scheme of things, I don't think anyone who's aware of the problems of buying too many cantrips will buy too many Oases even if they think Oasis doesn't count as a cantrip, so it's not as bad as people going for big money because there are no "villages" on the board when there's KC.

Villages aren't a complete concept but calling them not useful is interesting. Maybe it's obfuscating the core concept of "+action, pseudo or actual" but it makes sense from the direction of describing things in terms of simplistic base cards that are more accessible.

I'm kind of curious if Oasis spam is actually more of a problem then ignoring KC. Even new players seem to understand that KC is a strong card in my experience.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 01:51:22 am »

So your definition includes Market Square (as it should) but it leaves out Pillage for no reason. Just like all the other cards in this category, Pillage needs you to keep replacing itself in order to get the benefit every time, which means you need more gains.

You don't like the term one-shot?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 02:55:11 am »

You don't like the term one-shot?

Do you think Apprentice is a one-shot? I don't have anything in particular against the term one-shot, but the category that describes cards that require you to gain more cards to trash needs to encompass all of Pillage, Apprentice, Squire and Market Square at the same time. At least one-shot actually has the upside of being a very clearly defined term right now, so let's not start calling Market Square a one-shot.

Villages aren't a complete concept but calling them not useful is interesting. Maybe it's obfuscating the core concept of "+action, pseudo or actual" but it makes sense from the direction of describing things in terms of simplistic base cards that are more accessible.

Well, I wouldn't say that they are not useful at all, because some do people use the term village as though it was interchangeable with the term splitter. In that case, it is describing the useful thing, and the word itself doesn't really matter as I already said — the definition does. The only problem is the distinction between villages and pseudo-villages that some people make, because that distinction is counterproductive.

I'm kind of curious if Oasis spam is actually more of a problem then ignoring KC. Even new players seem to understand that KC is a strong card in my experience.

I'm not talking about new players, I'm talking about intermediate players who already learn from f.ds and think in our vocabulary. Those people know that you should generally go for the engine most of the time if you can, and that you shouldn't buy too many cantrips because of terminal draw and discard attacks. I have literally seen those kinds of players not wanting to go for the engine on an obvious engine board just because the only splitter was a "pseudo-village", but I haven't heard of anyone justifying a bad play with "it's a pseudo-cantrip" or something.

As far as people who overbuy Oases are concerned, I don't think that us calling or not calling them cantrips makes any difference in their play.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 06:17:50 am »

Do you think Apprentice is a one-shot? I don't have anything in particular against the term one-shot, but the category that describes cards that require you to gain more cards to trash needs to encompass all of Pillage, Apprentice, Squire and Market Square at the same time. At least one-shot actually has the upside of being a very clearly defined term right now, so let's not start calling Market Square a one-shot.

Why is Market Square in this category?  Market Square is a gainer.  So long as you have multiple Market Squares, you can trash a Gold to get more Gold.  Like, Market Square is the kind of card that makes Apprentice decks never run out of good fuel, so putting them in the same category is strange.  IMO, Market Square's reaction is a pretty unique, and I don't think it's very helpful to try to categorize it with other cards.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 07:09:53 am »

Why is Market Square in this category?  Market Square is a gainer.  So long as you have multiple Market Squares, you can trash a Gold to get more Gold.  Like, Market Square is the kind of card that makes Apprentice decks never run out of good fuel, so putting them in the same category is strange.  IMO, Market Square's reaction is a pretty unique, and I don't think it's very helpful to try to categorize it with other cards.

It requires you to trash a card in order to get its benefit. The fact that it's also a gainer just means that it has self-synergy, not that it's not in the same category as all the other cards that require you to trash a card in order to get their benefits.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 08:25:09 am »
+2

I have a three-way categorization for trashers. There are:
  • trashers that care about what they trash
  • trashers that care about other aspects of the game state
  • trashers that don't care about anything.
Trade Route and Forager fall into category 2.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 04:20:00 pm »
+12

Speaking as someone who has communicated about Dominion, like, a lot, I have never felt the need for a term that specifically includes Pillage, Apprentice, Squire, and Market Square.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 04:43:40 pm »

someone who has communicated about Dominion, like, a lot
hey same
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 05:52:38 pm »

Funny, I kind of do think about Pillage as "trash-for-benefit" that happens to trash itself, even if only subconsciously. I mean, the way Pillage influences my strategy is often similar to the way other "trash-for-benefit" cards like Remodel influence it. I mean, I want an extra source of gains if I want to use Pillage in order to sustain my momentum. I guess Procession fits this idea of "trash-for-benefit" too then?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 07:36:04 pm »
+1

Isn't every trasher a trash-for-benefit card?  Even if it's the indirect benefit of getting rid of crappy cards?

If it's specifically for Salvager-style cards, why not something like "cost converter" - it turns the cost of a card into something else.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

scone

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 01:18:52 am »
+1

If the point is to care about cost, the part about trashing isn't really relevant and stuff like Chariot Race should be included in the same category.
To my mind, scaling with cost is the most salient part. And it happens to be the case that, until the last expansion, the only cards that liked high costs were trashers. So people talk about 'trash for benefit' instead of 'cards that are better when you have high cost cards'.

The only non-trashing example I can think of other than Chariot Race is Patrician. Even that one is a bit of a stretch. Unlike Salvager/Bishop/Apprentice and the many Remodel variants that have been printed, it doesn't scale monotonically with cost. Neither Chariot Race nor Patrician is going to make me super-excited to go for overcosted cards like Peddler/Border Village/Rats, compared to most TfB cards.

Am I forgetting any others?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.