Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Least thematic card?  (Read 8752 times)

Dwedit

• Swindler
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
Least thematic card?
« on: July 02, 2017, 11:31:52 am »
+3

What does everyone think the Least thematic card is?

I'd have to say Avanto.  Swimming in ice cold water does not net you 3 cards.

I'd put Minion at second.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:33:57 am by Dwedit »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Least thematic card?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 11:36:22 am »
+2

It's not ice cold, it's +4 Celsius.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 12:43:34 pm »

Avanto at least has the Sauna connection going for it. I'd vote Potion.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 12:48:09 pm »
+18

Avanto at least has the Sauna connection going for it. I'd vote Potion.
dude it gives +potion. what would give +potion other than a potion
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 01:06:10 pm »
+2

I wouldn't expect a Hireling to last until the end of my days. Also, why do ambassadors attack?

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 01:18:33 pm »
+6

Harem doesn't fit with the theming for either victory or treasure cards.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 04:05:26 pm »
+1

Harem doesn't fit with the theming for either victory or treasure cards.
It doesn't even have any reason for providing you with money, which is a big negative given that the card's whole gimmick was being a Treasure-Victory card.  Not to mention that at the time Intrigue was released, Dominion was still limited to medieval Europe, making a Middle Eastern harem out-of-place (although this changed with Seaside, and the game now spans roughly two millennia of world history, from the classical era to the colonial era).  I've often thought of remaking my copies into something more thematic like "Relic" (before that became an official card) or "Jewels" (which is admittedly bland, but in keeping with the vanilla treasures it resembles---like precious metals, only more showy and less practical for spending).

Now that I think of it, Relic is pretty bad, too.  The treasure part fits, but since when do relics zap your enemies outside of Indiana Jones movies (though in those they're more likely to zap the user for irreverence, now that I think about it)?  Even if you believe the stories of relics performing miracles, they're usually benevolent things like healing rather than anything aggressive.  Really, Amulet and Relic could use a name swap (and new art for Relic; it looks like an ordinary necklace---even a gilded box containing the relic would be better).  A valuable magic amulet that zaps people makes sense, as does a relic that can earn you money or provide trashing (which already has religious theming---donations? absolution?---with cards like Chapel and Bishop).

I would also nominate the entire category of terminal draw cards, which never settled around a coherent theme like cards that increase your Actions (population) or Buys (commerce).  Sure, there are plenty of exceptions in the other categories, but at least you can see a theme, whereas terminal draw cards have virtually nothing in common (Royal Blacksmith is a nice callback to Smithy---and to Grand Market, for that matter---but that's about it). 

There's also Woodcutter, as noted by Donald X, but at least it has the excuse of dating from a time when +Buy was called "+Build", which would have made it thematic.

Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 04:24:38 pm »
+12

I would also nominate the entire category of terminal draw cards, which never settled around a coherent theme like cards that increase your Actions (population) or Buys (commerce).
There's no way to give the game's basic resources consistent flavor. If +Cards is say blacksmiths, then right away you are making a Torturing Blacksmith, a Steward With An Anvil, a Masquerade Held At The Smithy. Or you are just calling them all Joe the Blacksmith and Sam the Blacksmith and hey I guess Joe likes to hurt people.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 04:28:21 pm »
+3

I wouldn't expect a Hireling to last until the end of my days. Also, why do ambassadors attack?

Hireling works for me because it works exactly the same way that Hirelings do in Munchkin (lets you hold an extra card).
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Omastar68

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Omastar68
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 07:26:27 pm »

What a coincidence, was just commenting to someone how Sauna/Avanto didn't seem to fit in w/ anything else in Dominion. Reading the secret history just now on the wiki makes it make a bit more sense. Still, there's snow on the ground. Ofc it snowed in medieval/roman/etc. times, just don't think about that and other cards aren't snowy(unless I'm forgetting something...)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 07:45:17 pm »
+1

What a coincidence, was just commenting to someone how Sauna/Avanto didn't seem to fit in w/ anything else in Dominion. Reading the secret history just now on the wiki makes it make a bit more sense. Still, there's snow on the ground. Ofc it snowed in medieval/roman/etc. times, just don't think about that and other cards aren't snowy(unless I'm forgetting something...)

Scout was snowy.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 11:28:31 pm »
+2

Intrigue:
Mining Village
Scout
Dark Ages:
Ironmonger
Mercenary
Adventures:
Hireling
Messenger
Scouting Party
Empires:
Small Castle
Mountain Pass
Wall
Wolf Den
Promo:
Sauna\Avanto
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Omastar68

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 11:57:04 pm »

Intrigue:
Mining Village
Scout
Dark Ages:
Ironmonger
Mercenary
Adventures:
Hireling
Messenger
Scouting Party
Empires:
Small Castle
Mountain Pass
Wall
Wolf Den
Promo:
Sauna\Avanto

lol, thot I fergot even though I see them all the time. I guess I don't really think about it w/ others, Sauna/Avanto is the one that showcases a snowy environment the best. Messenger and Ironmonger were horribly obvious, played with them plenty lol. Mercenary, Small Castle, and Mining Village you kinda gotta look close. Hireling is obviously snowy, but a cursory inspection just shows fire, plus it's a duration. The events and landmarks too, but I was thinking about "cards"(they are cards, but events don't buy count as cards fer Goons and stuff, landmarks are different.)

Haven't seen Scout in forever, except on here a bit when people say it's a sucky card, like in the $4 cost rankings.

Since you mentioned it, I got to thinking that Messenger could be seen as a bit odd. I mean if you have a Messenger racing back to you, it's probably with news of trouble right? I guess he might have a gift for you too, but then why race back to the enemy and give the same(at least normally, ofc different w/ last cards in piles, last in a split, castles, Knights, etc.) Not to say I don't like Messenger, though I do find it a bit hard to use. Kinda fun to try though.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 01:29:22 am »
+3

Remodel: "I remodel my village into a witch."

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 01:47:49 am »

Junk Dealer seriously why isn't it a junking attack?!

Loempiaverkoper

• Scout
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 06:00:10 am »
+3

you give him junk and he pays you for it. I'd have a much harder time explaining all Ironmonger cases.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 09:01:36 am »
+3

Not quite the same thing, but it sort of bugs me that Scheme has Intrigue flavor and Seaside mechanics but shows up in Hinterlands.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 09:08:09 am »

Because dealing with junk and dealing out junk are two different things.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 12:30:54 pm »
+6

I think Ambassador is perfect. It's an attack in the guise of a gift.

Sounds like perfect diplomacy to me.

Omastar68

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 01:11:54 pm »
+1

Treasure Map. You need 2 copies to find the Gold.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 01:16:04 pm »
+4

Treasure Map. You need 2 copies to find the Gold.

I think this one fits, too. Having to reconnect multiple sections of a treasure map is a well-worn trope.

Skumpy

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: skumpy
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 01:54:32 am »
+2

Museum seems to be fantastically thematic - it gets better the more diversity you add to it. But the more you think about it, the more problems you run into, i.e. "Check it out, I've got a Vagrant in my Museum!"
He is (and take this in a positive light Skumpy) eccentric, flamboyant and excessive at times. His posts are ones that cause people to look at him and say "huh?"

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 08:22:03 am »
+3

Sauna / Avanto is one of the *most* thematic cards tbh, the whole "dip in the ice water and rejuvenate at the sauna" thing is really neat. I'm guessing you guys have never experienced such thrills as a polar plunge :)

I guess uh, one of the X Villages would have to do it. The fuck is a Wandering Minstrel doing giving me actions and sifting for me?

I mostly couldn't care less about the theme though. The cards just have names to be easy to talk about and pictures to be recognizable.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 09:52:48 am »
+3

Museum seems to be fantastically thematic - it gets better the more diversity you add to it. But the more you think about it, the more problems you run into, i.e. "Check it out, I've got a Vagrant in my Museum!"

Sometimes I miss the yet-more thematic version, worth 3 VP per different card that nobody else had.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 01:17:31 pm »
+2

Thematically speaking, I don't really see how throne room and kings court would let you play something twice.  It's just a room
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.