Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Legality of external tools?  (Read 4254 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
Legality of external tools?
« on: June 30, 2017, 12:58:45 pm »

I've been thinking about this recently.  Consider each of the following scenarios:

1. You write a script or something that compiles information from a mafia game (votes, wagons, reads, etc.)
2. You write a script or something that compiles data from multiple mafia games
3. You write a script or something that uses this data, compares it to the current game, and shows similarities and differences between current play and past play, etc.
4. You write this and it also tries to give you an educated guess as to who scum is
5. You give your program other ways to figure out the scum
6. Your program gets so good that it guesses scum right at least, say, 90% of the time

Also consider whether you are doing these things without telling anybody that you are doing so, or whether you declare that you are using these tools.

I feel like at some point this should be illegal, but I'm not quite sure where the cutoff point is.  I've seen people do the first things and I think it's perfectly legitimate, but I thought of how one would go about writing something like scenario 3 and started wondering about the legality of it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
Re: Legality of external tools?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 01:08:01 pm »

I've been thinking about this recently.  Consider each of the following scenarios:

1. You write a script or something that compiles information from a mafia game (votes, wagons, reads, etc.)
2. You write a script or something that compiles data from multiple mafia games
3. You write a script or something that uses this data, compares it to the current game, and shows similarities and differences between current play and past play, etc.
4. You write this and it also tries to give you an educated guess as to who scum is
5. You give your program other ways to figure out the scum
6. Your program gets so good that it guesses scum right at least, say, 90% of the time

Also consider whether you are doing these things without telling anybody that you are doing so, or whether you declare that you are using these tools.

I feel like at some point this should be illegal, but I'm not quite sure where the cutoff point is.  I've seen people do the first things and I think it's perfectly legitimate, but I thought of how one would go about writing something like scenario 3 and started wondering about the legality of it.
I think the cutoff is pretty clearly between 2 and 3.

If it's just data-gathering, no problem.  If it's actually attempting to analyse the data, rather than just gather and organise it for you to look at, that's a problem.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 01:11:19 pm »

6 will never happen, so this is all a moot point. I think everything listed is completely fine.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 01:13:25 pm »

6 will never happen, so this is all a moot point. I think everything listed is completely fine.

Vote: Teproc

obvscum.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 01:13:48 pm »

Not sure I agree.  External assistance (even if not very good), without the knowledge of other players, definitely violates the implied social contract of game-playing.

But everything up to 2 is not external assistance, it's just automated note-taking.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 01:17:33 pm »

6 will never happen

Challenge accepted.

(just kidding)
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 01:19:08 pm »

To be clear, I do think you can identify patterns that help scumhunting with this. We do this already, from memory rather than through scripts: X lurks more when he's scum, Y sheeps less when he's town, etc. So there is certainly a way that this could help you find scum... but metas evolve, and if such tools were to become particularly effective, they'd evolve even more as a means to escape that analysis, and in fact use it against town.

Really though, mafia is a game made of many things that are simply not quantifiyable, so such a tool's effectiveness would always be very limited. And again, it would only be doing something we already do, just more thoroughly... but also with less subtlety, considerably so.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 01:24:54 pm »

I wanted to do a bag of words machine learning approach to see if just from taking the words a certain person uses shows that they are scum. I stopped for two reasons. One, I didn't think it would work very well, because there just isn't enough data. Even for Robz, there aren't that many scum games to pull from. Two, it seemed like too much work. If I had more time, I might try it to see if anything comes of it. I would never really use it for a real game though, but I thought it would be interesting.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 05:24:53 pm »

I wanted to do a bag of words machine learning approach to see if just from taking the words a certain person uses shows that they are scum. I stopped for two reasons. One, I didn't think it would work very well, because there just isn't enough data. Even for Robz, there aren't that many scum games to pull from. Two, it seemed like too much work. If I had more time, I might try it to see if anything comes of it. I would never really use it for a real game though, but I thought it would be interesting.
I'm definitely very conscious about this.

I probably suck at it too, I think it might totally work on me.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 06:02:58 pm »

I'm definitely very conscious about this.

I probably suck at it too, I think it might totally work on me.

Well I probably would've tested it on you, because you have a lot of data.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 05:02:32 am »

I actually did 1, 2 and 4. But definitely not 6 ;D

CheesyJelly

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 10:31:02 am »

I'm really interested in this question.  Especially given that some people have a strong cut-off point for what is acceptable.  What if it were the following:

1. You write down on paper some information from a mafia game (votes, wagons, reads, etc.)
2. You write down on paper information from multiple mafia games
3. You compare your notes to the current game, and look for similarities and differences between current play and past play, etc.
4. You use this information to try to make an educated guess as to who might be scum
5. You use other means (e.g. basic statistics or other analysis) to guess who might be scum
6. Your method gets so good that you can guess scum right at least, say, 90% of the time

To me, all of the above is perfectly acceptable.  And so I don't see why automating the process makes it illegal.  Better, of course, to be open about the fact that you use such methods, but I think the onus is on players to make the differences between their scum and town games as small as possible.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 11:26:45 am »

This.

For what it's worth, I have used a calculator without telling anyone in past Mafia games. I don't see what's the difference between that and this.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 08:15:26 am »

I think the data collection and sorting stuff is all legal to the point that it's not worth discussing.  I could envision some setups that could exclude it purposefully, but it would be for specific timing mechanics or something, I think.

On creating an AI to play the game for you -- because that's what this is, right? -- I think that would be an interesting conundrum.  It's not cheating, to get clear.  I think it damages the community, though.

Once I know this is occurring, I have to purposefully change the way I play/vote/post every game to feed false data to the robot.  That would have to include playing against your wincon, I think, as any alignment.  It could mean using random words in each post to create false positives.  And all sorts of other strategies that end up bring for the meta-game and not the actual game bring played.

It's never been against the rules to play for future games instead of the current one, bug it is frowned upon.  I think robot assistants would make it the required norm.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 09:27:50 pm »

If you manage to do 6 you should not play forum mafia anymore and rather use your brain capacity for more useful things :-D
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 09:49:06 pm »

If you manage to do 6 you should not play forum mafia anymore and rather use your brain capacity for more useful things :-D

Be right back. Going to find some upvotes to give elsewhere haha
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

MafBot

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 09:51:58 pm »

Hope it's legal LOL

Would it, uh, be legal to use AI as means of communication and interfacing in addition to forming reads? Because I hope to be able to do that

~dev
I am a bot, bleep bloop.

!pointcount [player]: report running total of points for [player].
!review [decision number]: review a certain decision given new and compelling information.
!explain [decision number]: gives a brief explanation of the reasoning for a certain decision (work in progress!)
!request: give a note for the developer. New commands can be considered.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 09:53:03 pm »

Hope it's legal LOL

Would it, uh, be legal to use AI as means of communication and interfacing in addition to forming reads? Because I hope to be able to do that

~dev

You are schadd
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

MafBot

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 09:55:18 pm »

You say that with a lot of confidence...

~dev
I am a bot, bleep bloop.

!review [decision number]: review a certain decision given new and compelling information.
!explain [decision number]: gives a brief explanation of the reasoning for a certain decision (work in progress!)

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 09:56:51 pm »

I just want to clarify because I expect a lot of people think you are me.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 10:05:37 pm »

It has the voice of you.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 10:12:03 pm »

It has the voice of you.

It's actually not me this time though and I don't know who but I think schadd because he's funny.

MafBot

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 10:12:19 pm »

In theory I would be able to have the bot emulate specific persons' speech patterns. But at present I'm just a person typing.

-dev
I am a bot, bleep bloop.

Forum Mafia

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 10:14:55 pm »

Alright,  let's hash this out.

MafBot

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2017, 10:18:22 pm »

Alright,  let's hash this out.
You are schadd

does my predictive algorithm work?
~dev
I am a bot, bleep bloop.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 19 queries.