Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alexander Hamilton musical  (Read 4743 times)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
Alexander Hamilton musical
« on: June 29, 2017, 05:53:12 am »
+2

Hey guys!

Some time ago my girlfriend fell in love with the Broadway musical Alexander Hamilton. After long and stubborn denial I decided to listen to it and... I got lost! Can not listen to anything but it since then.

Trick is that they put a lot of RnB features into what would be a normal musical. Since I am not a huge RnB fan, suddenly this feels really natural and interesting. Musical tells us the story of one of the Founding Fathers of America (to be sincere, I've never heard of him before), his participation in Independence War and what came after that. I admit, I have never known much of USA history, but now I am somewhat obsessed with it, even read a really cute book "The Beginner's American History" by D.H. Montgomery (it was written in 1892, but I realised that in the end). But, well, my cultural development is not the topic to discuss.

Have you heard the musical? What do you think of it?
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Hamilton musical
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 07:49:46 am »

I've heard the soundtrack. The music is not my style, so I do not get sucked into it like many of my friends, but I cannot deny that the lyrics are intelligently written.

And yeah, while I knew a few facts about Alexander Hamilton already, this show brings some more into light.

It's interesting that the Federal Reserve (I think) was contemplating replacing Hamilton's picture on the $10 bill before the musical and that public outcry has stayed their hand. I figure that if anybody deserves their face on US currency, it would be the first secretary of the treasury. I think he deserves that honor even more than any US president.

I haven't seen the musical yet. When I get a chance, I'm certain I'll take it. Sadly I just won't get into it as heavily as others because of the musical style, but I can overlook that and focus on the rest of the genius.
A man has no signature

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 07:54:51 am »

I've heard the soundtrack. The music is not my style, so I do not get sucked into it like many of my friends, but I cannot deny that the lyrics are intelligently written.

And yeah, while I knew a few facts about Alexander Hamilton already, this show brings some more into light.

It's interesting that the Federal Reserve (I think) was contemplating replacing Hamilton's picture on the $10 bill before the musical and that public outcry has stayed their hand. I figure that if anybody deserves their face on US currency, it would be the first secretary of the treasury. I think he deserves that honor even more than any US president.

I haven't seen the musical yet. When I get a chance, I'm certain I'll take it. Sadly I just won't get into it as heavily as others because of the musical style, but I can overlook that and focus on the rest of the genius.

yeah, I've heard about the bill, that's pretty cool.

I'm not sure you can see it anywhere... Tickets to Broadway are bought for like million years forward and while it goes in there there can't be any official recording. The best I have found while looking for it was CamRIP illegal video with deleted sound and playing original songs instead which is lame. So I only have listened to it but one day I would gladly go watch if I am given the chance

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 08:09:24 am »

Eventually they put shows on across the country with Broadway Across America. They are usually high-quality productions. Tickets can get pretty costly but still cheaper than on Broadway, I believe. I even think I saw it advertised as coming to my city in 2018.

And after enough time, local theatres can start producing it. I can wait. I'm not that gung ho to see it. This is in sharp contrast to the Book of Mormon where I drove 3 hours to see it because it wasn't at my city yet (even though Kansas City should be the second most obvious choice for playing the Book of Mormon).
A man has no signature

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 08:11:49 am »
+1

Eventually they put shows on across the country with Broadway Across America. They are usually high-quality productions. Tickets can get pretty costly but still cheaper than on Broadway, I believe. I even think I saw it advertised as coming to my city in 2018.

And after enough time, local theatres can start producing it. I can wait. I'm not that gung ho to see it. This is in sharp contrast to the Book of Mormon where I drove 3 hours to see it because it wasn't at my city yet (even though Kansas City should be the second most obvious choice for playing the Book of Mormon).

well, I am very, very far from America :D

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 09:19:00 am »

That would make things difficult. I'm not sure how Broadway shows are handled outside of America. I'm sure it varies from country to country.

I imagine there will be a televised version. They may be milking it on Broadway for as long as they can.
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 11:08:33 am »
+1

I heard the soundtrack for the first time about a year or so ago, and after I did, I listened to the entire thing through every day for about 2 months. Then for a while I listed to it about once a week. Now it's more like once a month.

By far one of the best musicals I've ever heard. And as one of those "the entire thing is music" musicals, as opposed to the "lots of talking and then they break out into song" style; listening to the soundtrack gives you the full plot. I can't wait to see it live some day. I regret not getting the chance to see it on Broadway when Lin Manuel was still performing in it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 12:04:37 pm »

I heard the soundtrack for the first time about a year or so ago, and after I did, I listened to the entire thing through every day for about 2 months. Then for a while I listed to it about once a week. Now it's more like once a month.

By far one of the best musicals I've ever heard. And as one of those "the entire thing is music" musicals, as opposed to the "lots of talking and then they break out into song" style; listening to the soundtrack gives you the full plot. I can't wait to see it live some day. I regret not getting the chance to see it on Broadway when Lin Manuel was still performing in it.

He isn't anymore?! Like at all?! God, I can't imagine anyone else at this place. That's too sad

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 12:15:15 pm »

He isn't anymore?! Like at all?! God, I can't imagine anyone else at this place. That's too sad

He stepped down a few months ago. I've heard his replacement is good (picked by Lin Manuel I believe).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 12:18:31 pm »

He stepped down a few months ago. I've heard his replacement is good (picked by Lin Manuel I believe).

Well, i guess i have generally found it too late. More importantly, is LaFayette/Jefferson still there? :)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 12:54:18 pm »

I believe the actors playing Jefferson and Burr are stepping down or already have. There is an original cast recording that was made but it's not available yet.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 03:34:29 pm »

I believe the actors playing Jefferson and Burr are stepping down or already have. There is an original cast recording that was made but it's not available yet.

Do you mean a video recording? The soundtrack is the original cast.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 05:28:13 pm »

Do you mean a video recording? The soundtrack is the original cast.

Video.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 06:39:27 pm »

The sad thing about the $10 bill is they basically used the musical as an excuse to delay putting the first woman on a US bill. I believe it was going to be Harriet Tubman on that bill.  But then they basically said, "oh look, there's a musical about Hamilton now, screw Harriet Tubman, we have to keep him".

Edit: didn't realize this wasn't rsp. I guess if anyone wants to argue we can start a new thread, but it's not like I want to argue with people anyway.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:40:55 pm by J Reggie »

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 07:10:49 pm »

The sad thing about the $10 bill is they basically used the musical as an excuse to delay putting the first woman on a US bill. I believe it was going to be Harriet Tubman on that bill.  But then they basically said, "oh look, there's a musical about Hamilton now, screw Harriet Tubman, we have to keep him".

Edit: didn't realize this wasn't rsp. I guess if anyone wants to argue we can start a new thread, but it's not like I want to argue with people anyway.

yeah, not really rsp :) have you heard the musical itself?

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TWM
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 07:35:50 pm »

I thought it was because they would rather replace a racist, perpetuator of mass genocide instead of someone who actually advanced and helped a young country. But the fact that it needed a musical for people to realize this is sad.
Wins: M91, M96, NM10, M98, M102, M105
Losses: M100, M103, M104, M109, M112

MVPs: M91, M96
Win percentage: 54.5 (6/11)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 08:16:48 am »

I think more women should be represented on our currency, and it is especially admirable that they were looking at a woman of color who was present during one of the darkest periods of American philosophy.

But I would contend that Hamilton absolutely deserves to be memorialized on the money considering the hand he had in the first treasury. The only other person that I feel should be guaranteed a spot would be the first president. Everyone else could be swapped in and out for all I care—and this does include venerable greats like Franklin and Jefferson.

It's not that I think Hamilton was a better person than all of the others, but it just makes sense for the money to pay homage to its roots.

But if Tubman were to replace Jackson on the $20 bill, I would shed nary a single tear.
A man has no signature

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 08:19:00 am »

I think more women should be represented on our currency, and it is especially admirable that they were looking at a woman of color who was present during one of the darkest periods of American philosophy.

I think you mean american geology.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 08:57:01 am »

Well, if you can't see it, you can always read the hit biography by Ron Chernow on which the musical is based.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 11:33:57 am »

I found a digital copy of Spamilton: An American Parody at the library and I enjoy about as much as the real thing, it's that funny.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:36 am »
+1

I found a digital copy of Spamilton: An American Parody at the library and I enjoy about as much as the real thing, it's that funny.

looks like Google Music has it so I will listen to it :) Thanks :)

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.