Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wharf - Worker's Village - Island win by the skin of my teeth  (Read 1223 times)

KenN

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Wharf - Worker's Village - Island win by the skin of my teeth
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:15:38 pm »

I am new to Dominion (since Christmas) and have been enjoying playing on Isotropic.  Here's a game I won by one point (good enough, right?)

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120211-234624-fe31c636.html

Well, I wonder if I played this the best.  I never bought gold or silver.  In turn 11 I got a peddler and 7 copper. My wharves, villages and peddler got me 5 buys.  So I bought a province and the rest of the peddlers.

Here's the question:  Would this have played better if I had bought two islands instead of the province.  I would have been able to slide a province/estate out of the way.  On the other hand, we both bought provinces in each of the following hands, so I would have lost by one vp. 

What's the "best" play in this situation?

Also, my opponent and I were discussing the game afterwards.  I felt that Wharves won the game for me.  He said that he was not convinced.  It was so close, that really perhaps I won out of pure dumb luck? ;)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Wharf - Worker's Village - Island win by the skin of my teeth
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 08:02:40 pm »

Well right off the bat I will say that Worker's Village/Great Hall is usually a terrible, terrible opening. However, with the presence of Peddlers, it might actually be kinda good here. Though if I was playing it I would open Baronr/silver then buy wharves and worker's villages and no more money from then on, looking to mass peddlers and a couple KC's.

Wharf is a super strong card, and I think it was the difference between your two strategies here and you were certainly right to pick it up. In fact, you'd probably have done even better with another pair of wharves, looking to draw your whole hand each turn. And I would say you were right to take provinces over Islands. Provinces win games, usually.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.