Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44  All

Author Topic: RMM44: Firefly Mafia (Game over!)  (Read 110243 times)

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
Re: RMM44: Firefly Mafia (~1 spot left)
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 08:19:16 am »

/tag
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2017, 05:32:33 pm »

Only 1 spot here! Noone willing to take it?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2017, 06:05:34 pm »

/in
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2017, 06:43:18 pm »

good
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: RMM44: Firefly Mafia (full, pending confirmation)
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2017, 02:20:16 am »

ash, can you confirm your hammer?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2017, 06:12:09 am »

/confirmed!
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

CheesyJelly

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2017, 06:54:46 am »

Shiny!

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2017, 07:31:37 am »

PMs coming in the next few minutes! N0 will last 24 hours. Please read everything, confirm and ask any question you might have in your QT.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: RMM44: Firefly Mafia (D1)
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2017, 07:37:28 am »

Times have been difficult. Having two wanted guests on board, Serenity and her crew were forced to retreat from the central Alliance-controlled territory closer to the outer planets. Even here, they could feel the pressure. The prices on the heads of River and Simon Tam would inspire bounty hunters to try their luck would they ever be exposed.

During the last job, their previous business contact Badger had tried to double-cross them - apparently he too was willing to cooperate with the Alliance if it was worth his while. Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his crew narrowly escaped, forced to leave behind the cargo they meant to trade. Now they were still out there, free, yet with dwindling ressources. Supplies were ever harder to come by, and tensions among the crew on the rise.

Day 1 begins!

Current energy level: 25
Serenity uses 10 energy per night.

Vote Count 1.0

Not Voting (9): Teproc, Awaclus, Witherweaver, gkrieg13, pingpongsam, CheesyJelly, 2.71828...., LaLight, ashersky

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch or to approve a mission. Day 1 last until Friday, July 14, 7:30 am forum time.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 07:38:53 am »

vote: ww

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 07:39:28 am »

Hi.  I think energy is important.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2017, 07:43:05 am »

I'm open to suggestions on energy management that don't include much claiming, if any.  If any explanation without those would make it hard to follow your train of thought, probably better yo stay quiet.

I do worry that given the importance of energy, scum powers are skewed toward it.  Generally, they might tend toward robbery over killing, for example.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2017, 07:44:45 am »

Please take into consideration the importance of flipping with the most useful information to your fellow townies, btw.  You can pre-select your flip info, please get something down now.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2017, 07:45:14 am »

Guys, prepared in advance thoughts of the setup:

This setup is a feast of PoE. And the feast of WIFOM also. Let's talk about mass flavor claiming. And partial claiming.

The game can be won by town without ever lynching someone. This means, I guess, that either there is a vig, or some missions kill scum on them. More thoughts here would be appreciated. No Lynch here is good, because we will have more time to execute more missions and try to PoE by sending scum on missions and see if they fail or not. But! There is a little WIFOM here, because I for one, know that there is a mission which will automatically fail if I am on it. I wonder if everyone has the same. That's why I propose flavor claiming.

Pros:

1) we can sort out the missions and why they fail if they fail
2) Some of my powers aren't working on people who has some flavor names

Cons:

1) The captain will be outed (draft position is based on flavor. I didn't watch the show, but reached the wiki)
2) maybe some scum powers don't work on people with some flavor names?

There is 7 of us. There is 2 of them. We should be able to PoE very well if we just go and do missions.

Also, I have an optional idea to claim one of 3 powers. First thing, by the way: don't forget to submit which power will be flipped when you die in case you didn't see this in setup (I am looking at you, pps ;) ). I, for one, has one useless power. We may claim the most useless power because it serves some purposes:

1) Scum will correct their actions due to powers we may or may not use. We will give them their WIFOM back!
2) It will be easier to see what's going on in the setup
3) Scum will be forced to claim their night actions that look the most townie and if later they won't use it, it will look suspicious so they will be forced to use townie powers.

I think that scum has powers that directly influence ship's energy and also powers that can sabotage a mission. Partial claim of the powers will really mess up with them if they somehow will decide not to use it.

Some more random thoughts:

I'm pretty sure the initial captain is not scum
we should be concerned about ship energy, but not too much. It's pretty straightforward: we earn it on missions and lose it at night. Not really anything to talk about
I think in the end of the day we should consolidate our votes on ~2 people: the one we want to lynch (if we want to) and the one we want to be a captain. Scattering the votes around will only confuse us (that said, let's not do RVS plz). If we will end the day with the scummiest player having the most votes, he will be a captain! So be careful, please.
Don't be afraid to refuse a mission! Sometimes Captain will have shitty choice of mission so it would be better to carry on the regular day. Or give a choice to the First Mate.

Actually I think this game is less Mafia and more some crazy interesting bord game I would gladly play. So I'm playing. eager to listen to your thoughts!

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2017, 07:46:49 am »

No kidding. It's only scum's wincon after all. Reminds me of water in your Dune game kinda, though I didn't read the sequel to that.

Could everyone state their degree of familiarity with the show ? I'm a big fan, I know ash is not but he has seen a few episodes at least...

Flavor is obviously really important, and anyone familiar with the show already knows who the first two ranks are for example (flavor wise I mean), and probably has a good guess as to the whole hierarchy and a few of the PRs.

PPE: 3
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 07:47:39 am »

I'm open to suggestions on energy management that don't include much claiming, if any.  If any explanation without those would make it hard to follow your train of thought, probably better yo stay quiet.

I do worry that given the importance of energy, scum powers are skewed toward it.  Generally, they might tend toward robbery over killing, for example.

What exactly is energy management? How can we influence it other than through missions?

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2017, 07:48:48 am »

No kidding. It's only scum's wincon after all. Reminds me of water in your Dune game kinda, though I didn't read the sequel to that.

Could everyone state their degree of familiarity with the show ? I'm a big fan, I know ash is not but he has seen a few episodes at least...

Flavor is obviously really important, and anyone familiar with the show already knows who the first two ranks are for example (flavor wise I mean), and probably has a good guess as to the whole hierarchy and a few of the PRs.

PPE: 3

Haven't seen unfortunately. I know that the main character is Captain Hammer.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2017, 07:49:53 am »

I have seen the entire series and movie.  I just don't like it.

I agree that flavor is probably tied to initial ranks -- and have a pretty good reason to believe so.

I actually don't think flavor claiming hurts here, unless we really worry about manipulating captaincy.  But that manipulation will be hard to hide, so I'm not worried.

I disagree with some of LL's findings, but like that he put so much thought into this.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2017, 07:50:54 am »

What exactly is energy management? How can we influence it other than through missions?

Well, there could be Town powers that affect how much energy is used/obtained/needed/lost, etc.  there are the missions, of course.  There's contraband, and when to trade them in.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2017, 07:51:53 am »

I have seen the entire series and movie.  I just don't like it.

I agree that flavor is probably tied to initial ranks -- and have a pretty good reason to believe so.

I actually don't think flavor claiming hurts here, unless we really worry about manipulating captaincy.  But that manipulation will be hard to hide, so I'm not worried.

I disagree with some of LL's findings, but like that he put so much thought into this.

Yeah, flavor claim would be good.

What do you disagree with? :) Let's talk

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2017, 07:54:40 am »

Re: LL's big theory post

Vigs are definitely possible flavor wise. I can think of at least two characters who are pretty likely to have vig-like powers (in very different way), and really almost all of the characters except for, let's say three of them, could conceivably have killing capabilities.

We all (I think) know about one mission, but you're inferring a lot... and that's kind of indicative of your flavor already, unfortunately.

Definitely agree about no lynching day 1, missions seem more useful in every way. Also we can use votes to manipulate rank if we wish to.

Flavor claiming will out at least one protective role (Simon, who's a doctor in the show). I guess this is less of a big deal given the energy wincon for scum I suppose.

I very much disagree with your assumption about the initial captain not being scum. It's clearly stated in the OP that flavor is not indicative of alignment.

Also you misunderstand votes v rank. THe most votes you have, the worse it is for your rank. You want a low rank (captain is 1 at the start) to be in charge.

PPE: 5
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2017, 07:55:32 am »

Well, there could be Town powers that affect how much energy is used/obtained/needed/lost, etc.  there are the missions, of course.  There's contraband, and when to trade them in.

Then we can't talk about this management without partial claiming.

I think that Contraband is quite secondary in this game. If we convert it to energy, that would be awesome, but here's the thing: highly unlikely and useless would be to have this mission D1 and who knows who can be captain alignmentwise D2 and after

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2017, 07:58:03 am »

I will reiterate that the D1 captain can very much be scum, this is very clear in the OP.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2017, 08:04:20 am »

Re: LL's big theory post

Vigs are definitely possible flavor wise. I can think of at least two characters who are pretty likely to have vig-like powers (in very different way), and really almost all of the characters except for, let's say three of them, could conceivably have killing capabilities.

We all (I think) know about one mission, but you're inferring a lot... and that's kind of indicative of your flavor already, unfortunately.

Definitely agree about no lynching day 1, missions seem more useful in every way. Also we can use votes to manipulate rank if we wish to.

Flavor claiming will out at least one protective role (Simon, who's a doctor in the show). I guess this is less of a big deal given the energy wincon for scum I suppose.

I very much disagree with your assumption about the initial captain not being scum. It's clearly stated in the OP that flavor is not indicative of alignment.

Also you misunderstand votes v rank. THe most votes you have, the worse it is for your rank. You want a low rank (captain is 1 at the start) to be in charge.

PPE: 5

oh. I guess I should've watched the show in 24 hours I had... I actually mean it, no jokes.

noted about vigs

I don't think I outed myself given the following:

All other missions are unique. The order in which missions are distributed is predetermined and non-random. Every player has a "special" mission card in which their flavor name is mentioned. They will know what this mission card is.

using votes is good, actually.

Doctor is not really useful given that he can go onto a mission and scum can kill out of the mission... I guess it's doctor+ tho. I don't know. Also he can be scum also :)

voted vs rank noted, I was thinking it's the other way around the whole time.

Thanks!

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2017, 08:07:37 am »

@Teproc, @ash, @others who watched, may I ask you to make a list of people on the ship = possible mafia roles (preferably town/scum) for them?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.