Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Miser/Fountain Miser/Gardens  (Read 2522 times)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
Miser/Fountain Miser/Gardens
« on: June 20, 2017, 05:14:09 pm »

I read the Miser Thread, and I didn't see anyone mention this, but is has anyone tried/had success with Miser on a gardens board or with Fountain in the kingdom? Miser is usually pretty slow and not a great option, but I have always wondered if it would be any good with gardens or fountain, since you get to keep your coppers. If so, what would be the best way to make it work?

I don't own Adventures so I haven't tried it out on my own yet.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Miser/Fountain Miser/Gardens
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 05:23:15 pm »
+1

I think Miser is hard to pass up on Fountain boards. I haven't really thought about Miser/Gardens, but that also seems potentially good.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:12:20 pm »
+2

Yeah, Miser tends to be good with Fountain. I don't think it's amazing with Gardens.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 07:02:22 pm »
+1

My guess would be that Miser isn't a great addition to a Gardens rush or Gardens slog, but Gardens might be good alt-VP for an engine built with Miser as its trashing/economy card.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 04:15:12 pm »

These have kind of been my thoughts as well.
Miser would give you some "trashing" where normally you don't want any of that on a gardens board, and later you could buy a gardens or a duchy any turn it showed up, but I'm guessing by that time the game is almost over already and you would have been better off buying a gardens in the first place. 
Still, if anyone happens to try using miser as part of a gardens strategy, let me know how it goes.  I love finding ways to make bad cards good.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 04:50:16 pm »

These have kind of been my thoughts as well.
Miser would give you some "trashing" where normally you don't want any of that on a gardens board, and later you could buy a gardens or a duchy any turn it showed up, but I'm guessing by that time the game is almost over already and you would have been better off buying a gardens in the first place. 
Still, if anyone happens to try using miser as part of a gardens strategy, let me know how it goes.  I love finding ways to make bad cards good.

Miser is not really a bad card, it's just not as good as most other trashers. It's worth getting very often when it's the only trasher on the board.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 11:29:48 am »

Miser is good in slower games with no way to trash Copper.  Fountain gives you an incentive to keep Copper even outside those instances, so this makes sense.  As for Gardens, you really want to be buying and gaining things every turn, and Miser doesn't really help you do that.  It makes it harder to buy Silver early on so that you can maybe get Provinces later, but most of your points should be from Gardens, if that's what you're going for.  And a Gardens slog doesn't really mind having lots of Copper anyway.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 22 queries.