Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Novice player, looking to improve  (Read 5339 times)

thrivingturtle

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: thrivingturtle
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Novice player, looking to improve
« on: June 20, 2017, 01:12:13 pm »
+4

Hi. My name is Jacob. I'm looking to improve my Dominion gameplay, through practicing with those better than me. My only experience is playing with my roommates and local friends, but whom only play on occasion. I became very familiar with the First edition this way, but I have purchased Second Edition of both the Base set and Intrigue. I would like to learn about how the new cards affect the game overall, which are important additions, and which should be avoided. (If there is a thread somewhere regarding this, I would appreciate a link to it. I'm new to this forum, and haven't dug into every nook and cranny.)

I am also looking for people to play regularly online with, to improve my game. Perhaps getting helpful tips during play, chastising me for making a stupid purchase, things of that nature (as well as practicing regular gameplay). Any help would be much appreciated.

(If there is a more appropriate place for this post, please let me know.)

Thanks a bunch!

-Thriving Turtle

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Novice player, looking to improve
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:36:55 pm »

I'd say all the new cards are pretty good.  If you're looking for tips, the strategy wiki has quite a few articles on pretty much anything you can think of:

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Strategy
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:52:34 pm »

I actually wouldn't recommend the wiki for strategy advice, a lot of the articles there are old or otherwise less than ideal. Best ways to improve at the game include watching high-level games on YouTube or Twitch, asking questions here or on the Discord channel if you have any particular boards you struggled with, and just playing a ton.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

thrivingturtle

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 02:25:42 pm »

Yes, sadly there haven't been any new articles posted recently, none of them talking about Second edition? What would it take to get new articles on the site? I like this forum, but I have limited free time to spend on sifting through threads. Up to date articles I'm sure would be welcome by many.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 02:44:57 pm »
+9

Yes, sadly there haven't been any new articles posted recently, none of them talking about Second edition? What would it take to get new articles on the site? I like this forum, but I have limited free time to spend on sifting through threads. Up to date articles I'm sure would be welcome by many.

I think the problem is that the standard for articles is too "high" these days. I think articles should mostly be for novice players like you, but most players here are not novices and so would prefer very complex articles with lots of exceptions and simulation data.

Like, for instance, what would I say about Poacher. Probably I would say, it's a good early buy. Be careful about buying too many, since once the pile runs out they get worse. It's better in 2-player games because piles don't run out as quickly. Try to gauge if there's another pile that's likely to run out early, and if there is then don't get many Poachers. Then I might talk about some combos for when Poachers do start discarding cards, like Tunnel or Diplomat. This is all really basic stuff, though; not useful for most of the people who actually post on the forum.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:53:07 pm by LastFootnote »

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1436
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 03:51:33 pm »
+2

You can find some strategic discussion of some of the second edition cards in the "Let's Discuss" subforum.  Just, be aware that most of the posts are speculation and not backed up by a lot of play experience.

Merchant
Bandit
Sentry
Artisan

Diplomat
Secret Passage
Patrol
Replace

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 04:46:56 pm »
+1

Oh, another thing I'd say about Poacher: it's fun to snipe the last couple if your opponent has most of them. Take that!

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 03:49:18 pm »

Being an amateur level player like yourself here are my thoughts on the cards added to Second edition additions to intrigue.

Respect the lurker, even if you aren't planning on going for lurkers, get a couple early so your opponent cannot just will themselves to gain whatever they

Replace is your friend. Buy them often. A remodel that doubles as a witch, might be my favorite card in the game.

In the presence of a discard attack, Diplomat is bonkers.

Courtier is also your friend. Buy them often. Synergies with all cards with 2 or more types, and is capable of being a non-terminal gold gainer, and + buy.

Mill is ok, a good target for vanilla tokens from adventures.

Patrol can make your deck very junk resistant. It's a little costly at $5, but can be very useful.

Secret Passage, decent card, in my opinion the weakest card added to the set. But seeing what it replaced, I'd take this over Saboteur, Scout, Secret Chamber, and Great Hall any day.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 08:21:11 pm »

I don't think the second edition cards ever got discussed that much, particularly not after people have had time to play with them.  You could probably resurrect any of the threads linked by aku_chi, and start new threads for the cards not covered.

Qvist also had some preliminary discussion in a video here.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 10:08:51 pm »
+1

I actually wouldn't recommend the wiki for strategy advice, a lot of the articles there are old or otherwise less than ideal. Best ways to improve at the game include watching high-level games on YouTube or Twitch, asking questions here or on the Discord channel if you have any particular boards you struggled with, and just playing a ton.

They're still a good place to start.  At the very least, it can help start thinking in terms of broad categories of cards (terminal draw, gainers, etc) rather than focusing on each specific card, and can help sort out non-intuitive interactions between cards.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 04:40:20 am »

They're still a good place to start.

I don't think so. You have to unlearn a lot of stuff from those articles when you're starting to play seriously.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

thrivingturtle

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 01:25:52 pm »

Thank you all. I think the best thing I can do is play often. I will be posting the results of my games in an effort to figure out what I'm doing well and what I'm doing poorly. Is the general discussion board a good place to do that?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 01:45:49 pm »
+3

I don't think so. You have to unlearn a lot of stuff from those articles when you're starting to play seriously.

See, this here is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Any article that would be actually useful to new players would be torn apart by the Awacluses of the world.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1436
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 01:46:33 pm »
+2

Thank you all. I think the best thing I can do is play often. I will be posting the results of my games in an effort to figure out what I'm doing well and what I'm doing poorly. Is the general discussion board a good place to do that?

Use the Game Reports board for that.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 04:12:27 pm »
+7

See, this here is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Any article that would be actually useful to new players would be torn apart by the Awacluses of the world.

There's more than one Awaclus?!?!?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 04:13:29 pm »
+5

I think the plural is "Awacli".

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 04:20:00 pm »
+1

I agree with Awaclus. When I started I had to basically relearn how to use chapel because I learned how from an old Theory article on the wiki and as a result I would almost always overtrash with it. So my strategy would beat clueless players but lose to good players pretty consistently.

I would say the wiki articles need some major updating.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 04:32:01 pm »
+1

That's certainly true, but I think the wiki is inherently not super suitable for articles, because you're missing the diversity of perspectives you have when someone posts an article on the forums and others comment on it.

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 04:37:10 pm »
+1

That's certainly true, but I think the wiki is inherently not super suitable for articles, because you're missing the diversity of perspectives you have when someone posts an article on the forums and others comment on it.

Of course the forum environment is more dynamic, but there is definitely a place for solid wiki articles that can cover the strategy basics and some of the nuances that are important for using certain cards well.  Also, even if the perfect thread to answer your question exists somewhere on the forum, it might be really hard to find depending on how clever or funny the OP tried to be when naming the thread, whereas the wiki is dead simple to navigate (assuming basic internet literacy).
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 04:40:26 pm »

Of course the forum environment is more dynamic, but there is definitely a place for solid wiki articles that can cover the strategy basics and some of the nuances that are important for using certain cards well.  Also, even if the perfect thread to answer your question exists somewhere on the forum, it might be really hard to find depending on how clever or funny the OP tried to be when naming the thread, whereas the wiki is dead simple to navigate (assuming basic internet literacy).

This. This is why I agree with everyone saying the wiki needs to be updated. Not saying I have the time to do it, but I could probably help.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 05:47:02 pm »
+4

The best wiki articles come from the dominionstrategy blog, which is now defunct.  We're living in the postmodern era of.ds, where people no longer believe in handing down answers from positions of authority.  What a time to be alive.  Later, I will tell kids how I Was There.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:19:16 pm by trivialknot »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 07:40:23 pm »
+4

I used to write a few articles but there are so many cards now that it's hard to know where to start. Whenever I play games I'm still learning about lurkers, castles, and catapults. I've got a few ideas that could make an new article, like self synergy and overwork, but they're obscure enough that they won't help people win many games, or people take it for granted without thinking about it.

I started writing stuff after Theory put one of our games onto his blog site. The analysis doesn't really stand up nowadays but that's not important. I felt like I was part of something and started contributing. I did write some rubbish along the way but that's not important either. Essentially, if you post stuff you'll get responses and find out more things even if this community seems jaded at times. You can always request articles. That might get people into action.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:47:05 pm by DG »

Omastar68

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Omastar68
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 11:10:57 am »

Hi. My name is Jacob. I'm looking to improve my Dominion gameplay, through practicing with those better than me. My only experience is playing with my roommates and local friends, but whom only play on occasion. I became very familiar with the First edition this way, but I have purchased Second Edition of both the Base set and Intrigue. I would like to learn about how the new cards affect the game overall, which are important additions, and which should be avoided. (If there is a thread somewhere regarding this, I would appreciate a link to it. I'm new to this forum, and haven't dug into every nook and cranny.)

I am also looking for people to play regularly online with, to improve my game. Perhaps getting helpful tips during play, chastising me for making a stupid purchase, things of that nature (as well as practicing regular gameplay). Any help would be much appreciated.

(If there is a more appropriate place for this post, please let me know.)

Thanks a bunch!

-Thriving Turtle

You could add me, I like to criticize people, and if you're looking for constructive criticism that works. I'm not great, but I'm ok. I try to play on Shuffle IT most days. I have plenty of free time for that, it's just my internet or something makes it really hard to connect so it's a little slow. I'd like to help, but expect to get nagged like every turn:)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:17:07 pm by Omastar68 »

thrivingturtle

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 04:32:08 am »

You could add me, I like to criticize people, and if you're looking for constructive criticism that works. I'm not great, but I'm ok. I try to play on Shuffle IT most days. I have plenty of free time for that, it's just my internet or something makes it really hard to connect so it's a little slow. I'd like to help, but expect to get nagged like every turn:)

o, same name there too

Thanks! I'll add you!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.