Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Suggestion: Have a game queue.  (Read 2983 times)

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Have a game queue.
« on: June 11, 2017, 07:54:47 pm »

I see a lot of sign ups and not enough fills. What is the logic behind how games are queued? If it was me doing it, I would run one maybe two games at a time and alternating the types of games played rather than just having people post a sign ups thread whenever.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Suggestion: Have a game queue.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 08:02:20 pm »

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 08:06:38 pm »

Meme
Wins: M91, M96, NM10, M98, M102, M105
Losses: M100, M103, M104, M109, M112

MVPs: M91, M96
Win percentage: 54.5 (6/11)

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:36:38 pm »

We have a game queue. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13950.0

I ask because it seems a lot of the time games seem hard pressed to fill? Having a queue is great, but only if it is implemented correctly. Counted 4 separate sign up threads and that is too many for a forum this size. That's why I suggested running one maybe two games at at time - because it looks like it takes a lot to fill games here. You could do an overlap where one game runs and then like halfway through another runs, that's what I would suggest.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 08:58:01 pm »

I ask because it seems a lot of the time games seem hard pressed to fill? Having a queue is great, but only if it is implemented correctly. Counted 4 separate sign up threads and that is too many for a forum this size. That's why I suggested running one maybe two games at at time - because it looks like it takes a lot to fill games here. You could do an overlap where one game runs and then like halfway through another runs, that's what I would suggest.

Right now we have one very large game going (22 people). Once that is done I'm sure the games will start filling up again

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 09:28:24 pm »

I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 09:35:53 pm »

Right now we have one very large game going (22 people). Once that is done I'm sure the games will start filling up again

IMO, that is treating the symptom, not the cause. But if you guys are fine doing it this way, who am I to tell you different.

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 05:57:38 am »

IMO, that is treating the symptom, not the cause. But if you guys are fine doing it this way, who am I to tell you different.
While it is generally great that people not used to stuff point things out (don't know how the bias which leads to people inside not seeing obvious flaws is called) I think there isn't too much of a problem with 4 games at a time because we had 4-5 games running parallely in the past :-D
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 06:35:15 am »

I don't see value in restricting the number of game run at a time. If there's demand, open games will fill; otherwise not.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 01:13:49 pm »

I've said my piece.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 02:49:31 pm »

Yeah, but only in Reply #9 </Awaclus>

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 07:19:47 pm »

Games take forever to fill here. At least that is what it looks like to me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 07:25:16 pm »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They fill at exactly the rate that people want to play games.  Making an artificial limit on the games that can be running at once would mean that even though games would be filled faster, fewer games would actually get played.

I guess the upside is that you can play a game when you have time and you know better when it will start, the downside is that there would be fewer games actually being played.

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TWM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 07:38:26 pm »

4 days. Soooo long.
Wins: M91, M96, NM10, M98, M102, M105
Losses: M100, M103, M104, M109, M112

MVPs: M91, M96
Win percentage: 54.5 (6/11)

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 07:50:42 pm »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They fill at exactly the rate that people want to play games.  Making an artificial limit on the games that can be running at once would mean that even though games would be filled faster, fewer games would actually get played.

I guess the upside is that you can play a game when you have time and you know better when it will start, the downside is that there would be fewer games actually being played.

Yup. I guess things are just done differently here. I think I see a game or two that still hasn't filled since last I was here.

4 days. Soooo long.

Some game fill that fast? Not really that fast but :/

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 08:30:14 pm »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yup. I guess things are just done differently here. I think I see a game or two that still hasn't filled since last I was here.

4 days. Soooo long.

I just realized that you are probably looking at the couple of blitz games and the bastard game.  Well, there isn't much demand for bastard mafia I guess, and the blitz games were opened a long time ago and then forgotten about because scheduling them are hard.

As for just normal and RMM games, those usually fill pretty quickly, especially M games, because there aren't many people that won't play in normal mafia, but there are some that don't like to play in RMM.

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 09:07:34 pm »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 days. Soooo long.

I just realized that you are probably looking at the couple of blitz games and the bastard game.  Well, there isn't much demand for bastard mafia I guess, and the blitz games were opened a long time ago and then forgotten about because scheduling them are hard.

As for just normal and RMM games, those usually fill pretty quickly, especially M games, because there aren't many people that won't play in normal mafia, but there are some that don't like to play in RMM.

Thanks for the heads up, and not being an asshole.

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 09:08:42 pm »

oh hey wait i've seen this user on ms before hello guy
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 09:49:07 pm »

oh hey wait i've seen this user on ms before hello guy

Hi. Would I know your Username on MS? Have I played with you before? If you'd like to keep you alias private, that's fine. Would be nice if you could possibly send a PM my way to let me know who you are tho. TBH, I've played on quite a few sites, so I sometimes run into people I know from elsewhere, MS and MU being the two where this happens the most.

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 09:16:12 am »

my alias there is schadd_

i have not played with you

QuickSync

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 10:43:22 pm »

my alias there is schadd_

i have not played with you

IDK if I have seen you there or not. We should play sometime.

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 10:45:13 pm »

we probably will
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 19 queries.