Dominion > Puzzles and Challenges

An "Empty the Supply" Variant

(1/4) > >>

JacquesTheBard:
Am I allowed to submit a puzzle if I don't have my own solutions worked out yet?  A puzzle with 13 radically different variations?

Whatever, let's do this.

One of the most popular challenges on this subforum is the "Empty the Supply as quickly as possible" challenge. We have plenty of variants of it. Trying to reduce the number of needed turns, trying to carry out such a solution in Dominion online... one might consider this old problem thoroughly solved.

But I was bored and came up with a variant that makes it more challenging. What if you were only allowed to create your solution using cards / events from a single expansion? So far I've gotten close to developing an 8 turn solution for Adventures. I tried to do something similar for Prosperity and Empires, but couldn't quite get it to work.

If we count the 1st and 2nd editions of Dominion and Intrigue as expansions, we have 13 different expansions. 13 different solutions to the single-expansion supply emptying problem. As for special rules... I recommend we stick to only 2 events when finding solutions for Adventures or Empires. Everything else is fair game. Some expansions will have more interesting solutions than others (Alchemy in particular looks like a real slog), so only solve the ones you think would be particularly fun for you to try your hand at.

I hope you enjoy this challenge! Well... 13 challenges, technically.

liopoil:
I like the idea... but for most expansions it's going to take more turns than I would like to count. The only expansions where I think there's much of a chance of it being less than, say, 17 turns are prosperity, dark ages, adventures, and empires... I'd love to be surprised though

JacquesTheBard:
Like I said, Alchemy is garbage. Most expansions surprise me, though. Remember that Hinterlands has Haggler, which is quite good for this sort of thing.

Cornucopia is probably the most frustrating to work on. Everything that gives buys or gains decreases your handsize, and all draw is Menagerie or Hunting Party, so you need to constantly keep in mind what your hand looks like to play optimally.

Dark Ages is incredibly intimidating. There are so many amazing ways to gain cards through Procession-Fortress chains, Market Square tricks, Trashing Feodums and Hunting Grounds, and Beggar for quick elimination of copper. I know it's there; I just can't put it together.

JacquesTheBard:
So I can DEFINITELY get Adventures (with one player) in 8 turns. I'm trying to optimize the solution, but in practical terms I'm just changing the amount of money I have on the final turn. The supply gets emptied on that turn no matter what. Should I sideline the whole optimization thing and just share what I have?

luser:
Base is bit sloggy but its interesting that mine is great here as it trashes treasures without decreasing handsize.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version