Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The power of social media and Torg RPG  (Read 2026 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
The power of social media and Torg RPG
« on: June 02, 2017, 02:34:06 pm »
+2

So this is an RPG, though there is technically card play.

I'm super-stoked about the Kickstarter for Torg Eternity. This is a reboot of the 1990 Torg game. I ran a campaign in college, and it was a lot of fun. I played in a campaign about 6 years ago, and it was very decidedly a '90s game. It was table-heavy and adhered to many of the philosophies of the '90s (which makes sense since it invented some of them). It was time for an update, and one company did it.

What's thrilling to me is that they made me appreciate Twitter. I normally hate Twitter. They capitalized on Twitter's strengths and launched a cool social media campaign: https://storify.com/USNAGames/invasion-day-1.

I may have to dust off my Twitter account for this. Well, I guess I don't. I don't know what storify is, but it looks like it compiles tweets into a single page. That's very nice.
A man has no signature

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: The power of social media and Torg RPG
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 09:24:40 pm »

So this is an RPG, though there is technically card play.

I'm super-stoked about the Kickstarter for Torg Eternity. This is a reboot of the 1990 Torg game. I ran a campaign in college, and it was a lot of fun. I played in a campaign about 6 years ago, and it was very decidedly a '90s game. It was table-heavy and adhered to many of the philosophies of the '90s (which makes sense since it invented some of them). It was time for an update, and one company did it.

What's thrilling to me is that they made me appreciate Twitter. I normally hate Twitter. They capitalized on Twitter's strengths and launched a cool social media campaign: https://storify.com/USNAGames/invasion-day-1.

I may have to dust off my Twitter account for this. Well, I guess I don't. I don't know what storify is, but it looks like it compiles tweets into a single page. That's very nice.

Well, that was a pretty engaging read if you ask me.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 08:04:36 am »

I thought so too, but I admit that I already know the story.

Out of curiosity, were you familiar with Torg at all before you read that? I am a little curious about people with no idea what's happening.

Somebody compared it to War of the Worlds, which is a fair comparison.
A man has no signature

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 01:50:26 pm »

Out of curiosity, were you familiar with Torg at all before you read that? I am a little curious about people with no idea what's happening.

Oh uh, sorry for the late reply, but no I has no previous knowledge of Torg. I am still at a loss as to how many of the races/threats presented were playable factions or some non-player character threat (e.g. the vampire plague).

I wonder if I would have understood this campaign at all if you didn't explain it in this thread.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 02:24:49 pm »

I am still at a loss as to how many of the races/threats presented were playable factions or some non-player character threat (e.g. the vampire plague).

That's fair. Considering that the intent was to capture that confusion on the initial day, I think it's appropriate that you had no idea how many invasions there are (spoiler: six obvious invasions and one silent invasion).

Of course it all makes more sense with the actual rulebook in front of you. This is akin to some official fiction being written, but it was done in tweet format, which was actually brilliant.

They keep promising to storify the rest of the tweets. I can't stand reading tweets on Twitter, so I hope they do compile the rest of the tweets.

I'll let the development team know that at least one uninvolved person found it engaging. Most RPGs don't take place in modern times, so Twitter is a very unlikely platform for in-game stories.
A man has no signature

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 11:39:54 pm »

Well, I am a bit familiar with the Warhammer 40000 universe. Torg felt a lot like WH 40k in how a bunch of vastly different races somehow are on approximately the same level in terms of warfare capability. I think that connection helped me get into it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.