Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Cornucopia Prize: Trusty Steed  (Read 4062 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Cornucopia Prize: Trusty Steed
« on: May 31, 2017, 01:00:15 pm »

Hello, hello
The Trusty Steed is the only 'Deck discarder' that does not have the 'may' option in the '...deck into your discard pile...'  I am guessing that most players would want to put the 4 Silvers into their deck, but I am curious why not include 'may' as an option?  Or is there just never a reason to not discard my deck into the discard to get access to my pile?
-Thanks
-DooWopDJ

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Cornucopia Prize: Trusty Steed
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 04:52:59 pm »

Well, it's already optional, right?  You can choose other options.  So there's no reason for a second "you may."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 04:56:16 pm »

Well, it's already optional, right?  You can choose other options.  So there's no reason for a second "you may."

But what if you wanted 4 Silver, but not the discard flip?

DooWopDJ, the "let's discuss" forum is a series of threads where each was created about a specific card for the purposes of talking about strategy and such. A question like this could probably go in the interview with Donald X thread if you wanted an answer from Donald himself. Otherwise, just general dominion discussion probably.

But don't worry too much about that stuff; if it actually matters a mod will move it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 10:52:38 am »

The only real thing to discuss here, is when if ever you would get the four silvers.  To have gotten provinces your coin economy is already fairly decent (unless it took you like a chain of 4+ tournaments to get it) so absent a feodem situation, why would I ever want 4 silvers rather than either +2 coins or + 2 cards? i guess if you have like mega draw, princess and bank i could see it.  But one reason no one is discussing this is that almost no one ever even gets the silvers.  I think I may have done it once.  But i'm not sure. And I've played this card 100's or times if not more.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 12:54:07 pm »

Topically: to keep your Recruiters fed?

Trusty Steed, Watchtower, Conquest combo?

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 10:17:23 pm »

Topically: to keep your Recruiters fed?

Trusty Steed, Watchtower, Conquest combo?

yeah, but anything feeds recruiters and unless u have a bunch of em the silver would just muck up most decks.

The watchtower part is interesting.  I guess maybe in an aqueduct deck gaining em to pump the VP might work.  But I'd still probably rather have the watchtower to trash em after.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Dwhit

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 08:25:29 pm »

If your watchtower trashes the silvers do you still get +VP?

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 10:04:56 pm »

I've taken silvers many times.  It doesn't need a combo to be good.  It's just okay.  You do it when you're playing a money thing.  It keeps your deck viable for a longer period of time, especially if someone's playing Followers and there's no trashing.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 11:08:45 pm »

If your watchtower trashes the silvers do you still get +VP?
Yes - when you react with watchtower, you have still gained the Silvers first so they still count. This is different to Trader, which replaces the card you would have gained with a Silver, so whatever it was in the first place you never gained it.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 08:40:29 pm »

The only real thing to discuss here, is when if ever you would get the four silvers.  To have gotten provinces your coin economy is already fairly decent (unless it took you like a chain of 4+ tournaments to get it) so absent a feodem situation, why would I ever want 4 silvers rather than either +2 coins or + 2 cards? i guess if you have like mega draw, princess and bank i could see it.  But one reason no one is discussing this is that almost no one ever even gets the silvers.  I think I may have done it once.  But i'm not sure. And I've played this card 100's or times if not more.

There are lots of options:
Forge bait (e.g. get a plat from three, or pair up with the estate from Followers for a province). For the price of 2 draw you can get 4 gains & $12 value. Slightly less flexible but doing that with Workshop requires 4 draws and 4 actions. If you need lots of value for some scaling TfB ... Stead is an elite level gainer.

Convert them into +buys (and +coin) with Forager/Spice merchant, particularly good if Princess is the only other +buy
Bishop bait, without draining short piles; Followers drains two piles so a long Bishop come-back (say by locking them with Rabble/Followers) is hard, particularly if they snag Bag. Other heavy trashing scenarios are possible, but Bishop is one of those cases where you really do want to trash a huge amount of copper. Tomb is another option for similar reasoning. Of the treasure gainers, few are as potent as Stead for TfB.

Keeping a good Stables/Magpie/Story teller to treasure balance, particularly if you are trashing coppers for anything. One play of Stead every few Stables gain is pretty effective at both increasing you reliability and your overall payload. With Storyteller, each silver is pretty close to being a Lab.

No draw games. You can get Stead not to hard on boards with say trashing (e.g. Chap) and no net draw outside of prizes (e.g. no Moat/Smithy/Lab/etc.). It isn't too hard to get fast Prizes, but once you start duchy gaining you will quickly tank your money density. Steed is better here than Bag and if you also have Followers is vastly better at building out money.

Quick cash infusion. Suppose you build up Province with some combo of TfB (e.g. Moneylender) and Tournaments; once you both start having provinces and you run low on TfB targets, your engine crumps without a new cash infusion. Buying $8 worth of coin is typically a two turn proposition. Steed does it in one. If draw is cheap (e.g. Hgrounds, Rsmithy/Chap, or Kc/Pearl diver) you are often better taking the silvers and just buying more draw.

Fishing for top deck. Obvious case is Star chart to hit some other clutch card (e.g. a unique card in a Hop game game, a Count after burning a couple of Madmen). More commonly if you track your deck and this is your best option to win you may well want to burn your draw deck to place potentially winning cards back in the discard back into draw position (e.g. you have a lead, one colony left, two Pdivers in hand and two Remodels in the discard, no coin in hand).

Counterfeit, Swashbuckler ... there are a huge number of potential combos.

All that said, I play many games without ever touching the option. However, when it is useful, it is often extremely clutch.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.