Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gaining, with nothing to Gain  (Read 2373 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
Gaining, with nothing to Gain
« on: May 31, 2017, 10:49:05 am »
+1

Hello, hello

When a player (either your or another player) attempts to Gain a card, and if there are no cards to Gain, do I still get the benefit of the Gain?
My guess is no, and this question may just be an unlikely scenario in gameplay.

And if there is a 'rule' that covers this scenario, please post the link to the rule or clarification (if there is one).
Again, if this has already been posted in a different thread, please post that thread link (if there is one).

Also I appreciated the tolerance of my 'newbieness' of my posts.

-Thanks
-DooWopDJ
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:50:41 am by DooWopDJ »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Gaining, with nothing to Gain
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 10:52:56 am »
+6

When a player (either your or another player) attempts to Gain a card, and if there are no cards to Gain, do I still get the benefit of the Gain?
Please be way way more specific.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 11:58:52 am »

Perhaps emptying all piles and then trying to gain?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 12:32:22 pm »

My apologies.  I was thinking there could have been 'gain' benefit, but I could not find a specific scenario that would create this condition.  It seemed possible that a player would gain a card, but that card would not longer be available to gain and not be able to use the 'gain advantage'.  So disregard the question. (unless master players could think of a situation where my question would still be likely scenario.
-Thanks
-DooWopDJ

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 12:59:46 pm »
+1

Only thing I can think of are cards like Ironworks or Replace, and no, you wouldn't get any benefit, since you fail to gain a card, and hence the bonus isn't defined.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 07:02:16 pm »
+2

If you try to gain something, but you don't gain it, then nothing that would happen as a result of gaining it happens. For example, if Duchess and Tournament are in the game, and you use Tournament to gain a Duchy, but the Duchy pile is empty, then you would not be able to gain a Duchess. Similarly, you can't buy a Duchy, reveal a Trader to instead gain a Silver, and then gain a Duchess.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 05:51:15 am »

If you try to gain something, but you don't gain it, then nothing that would happen as a result of gaining it happens. For example, if Duchess and Tournament are in the game, and you use Tournament to gain a Duchy, but the Duchy pile is empty, then you would not be able to gain a Duchess. Similarly, you can't buy a Duchy, reveal a Trader to instead gain a Silver, and then gain a Duchess.
I guess the "exception" to this - though it's not really an exception, it's something else entirely (but might seem similar to new players) - is if you have a card that says:

"Gain a snatz. Trash a card from your hand."   Then even if you don't gain a snatz, you still get the trash benefit - it's not conditional on the snatz-gaining. 
That said, I don't think there are any cards where this causes confusion - all the cards of the "gain something (that you maybe don't want) for some benefit" type have an "if you do" clause.

"Gain a snatz.  If you do, trash a card from your hand."  This is once again like the Duchess case.  If there's no snatz's to gain, you don't get the trash benefit.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 08:18:50 pm »

Ah, those three little words... "if you do"

They make all the difference. I can't tell you how many times people at the IRL table have read a card and said "why is this worded so strangely?" I end up explaining all of the lovely broken things you could do if the card/event was missing those three little words, or if the instructions were in a different order, or if some of the text was above the line or below the line.

Kudos to Donald X for continuing to get better at anticipating when there will be rules issues or exploits and heading them off in the wordings and/or behaviors of newer cards.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.