Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Reaction cards  (Read 1733 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
Reaction cards
« on: May 31, 2017, 09:55:15 am »

Hello, hello

I need a clarification of how Reaction cards are 'activated'.  This may be an unrealistic scenario, but I still want to understand the intent of the Reaction card.

If a player plays an Attack card, but the 'attack' does not negatively impact me (such as a player attacking me with attempting to give me a Curse card, but the Curse pile is empty), do I still gain the benefit of having the Reaction card?

And if there is a 'rule' that covers this scenario, please post the link to the rule or clarification.
Again, if this has already been posted in a different thread, please post that thread link.

-Thanks
-DooWopDJ

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Re: Reaction cards
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 10:24:56 am »

If a player plays an Attack card, but the 'attack' does not negatively impact me (such as a player attacking me with attempting to give me a Curse card, but the Curse pile is empty), do I still gain the benefit of having the Reaction card?

Yes.

And if there is a 'rule' that covers this scenario, please post the link to the rule or clarification.

I'm not sure the full rules for Reaction cards as a type have ever been spelled out in full. However, the FAQ for Secret Chamber in the rule book at least says "You can reveal Secret Chamber whenever another player plays an Attack card, even if that Attack would not affect you."

And, in general, you don't need a clarification for this. Secret Chamber, Diplomat, Horse Traders, and so on say "When another player plays an Attack card"; they don't say "When another player plays an Attack card that affects you" or anything like that.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 10:26:26 am »

Even if you have blocked an attack with Moat, you still can react with Beggar for example
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 10:26:40 am »

I need a clarification of how Reaction cards are 'activated'.  This may be an unrealistic scenario, but I still want to understand the intent of the Reaction card.

Again, if this has already been posted in a different thread, please post that thread link.
The key concept here is, that cards actually don't care about things that they don't specifically care about.

Moat says "When another player plays an Attack card..." So that's when you can use that ability - other things you can imagine mattering but which weren't specified, such as would the Attack card actually do anything to you, do not matter.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 02:14:50 am »

The key concept here is, that cards actually don't care about things that they don't specifically care about.

Moat says "When another player plays an Attack card..." So that's when you can use that ability - other things you can imagine mattering but which weren't specified, such as would the Attack card actually do anything to you, do not matter.

Another example is tunnel, which specifically cares about being discarded, regardless of what kind effect is discarding it. It might be an attack, or one of your own cards or event buys. As long as it's not during clean-up.

So yeah, in general reading the cards tells you all you need to know in Dominion. There are a few additional rules that regulate some specific card interactions, but they do not come up often. In my opinion the only one worth keeping in mind is the so-called lose track rule, especially if you're playing with dark ages.

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 02:47:01 am »
+3

I think for me the most unintuitive part of reactions is that the reacting-to-something period can just go on and on until you run out of reaction cards or interest. Reveal a Diplomat; draw and reveal a Caravan Guard; draw and reveal a Horse Traders; on and on, all supposedly "when" an attack card was played. It's consistent with how Dominion works in general but I'm not sure just reading each individual card will get you there.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 10:59:44 pm »
+1

The trickiest one to understand, I think, is Lighthouse / Champion. You can't let the attack affect you even if you want it to (like Minion's discarding), but you can use a reaction card (like Horse Traders) despite blocking the attack.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.