Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: At start of turn' rules clarification  (Read 3448 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
At start of turn' rules clarification
« on: May 26, 2017, 12:59:25 pm »

Hello, hello

My current understanding is the player can choose the order in which to 'resolve' ANY of the cards, that have the 'At the start of...' clauses (including Duration and Reserve cards).

And just to also clarify a player's turn is when the first card is 'played' and calling a card and acting on a duration card has not started a player's turn.

Again for each one can you direct me to the 'relevant' rule?

Thanks
-DooWopDJ

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:01:51 pm by DooWopDJ »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: At start of turn' rules clarification
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 01:09:19 pm »

You are correct on the first point. If you have multiple "at the start of your turn" effects, you choose the order. These include (currently) Duration cards, Reserve cards, and Prince.

However, you are wrong on the second point. A player's turn starts whenever the previous player's turn ends (assuming the game hasn't ended at that point). You don't have to play any cards ever on your turn. So by the time you are calling cards or resolving Durations, your turn has begun; it is your turn.

The rule is given in the Seaside rulebook, where Durations were first introduced:

If multiple cards resolve at the same time on your turn (for
example, Duration cards that do something “at the start of your
next turn”), you choose what order to resolve them.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 01:29:08 pm »

Caught by semantics again... I should have requested a clarification of that all the 'At the start... ' resolutions are required (if the player unless there is a 'may' clause) to be completed before a player begins 'play' of any (if any) cards, or buy or clean-up phase'
Thanks
-DooWopDJ

You are correct on the first point. If you have multiple "at the start of your turn" effects, you choose the order. These include (currently) Duration cards, Reserve cards, and Prince.

However, you are wrong on the second point. A player's turn starts whenever the previous player's turn ends (assuming the game hasn't ended at that point). You don't have to play any cards ever on your turn. So by the time you are calling cards or resolving Durations, your turn has begun; it is your turn.

The rule is given in the Seaside rulebook, where Durations were first introduced:

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 03:06:41 pm »
+2

Caught by semantics again... I should have requested a clarification of that all the 'At the start... ' resolutions are required (if the player unless there is a 'may' clause) to be completed before a player begins 'play' of any (if any) cards, or buy or clean-up phase'
Thanks
-DooWopDJ

That's correct. All "at the start of your turn" things must be done before you play a card. Unless of course the start of turn effect is to play a card, like with Summon. But you can think of start of turn like a mini phase that happens before the action phase on your turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 03:24:54 pm »
+4

But you can think of start of turn like a mini phase that happens before the action phase on your turn.

Start of turn is a part of the Action phase. A Summoned Crown knows what to do with itself (play an action twice).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 03:50:12 pm »

But you can think of start of turn like a mini phase that happens before the action phase on your turn.

Start of turn is a part of the Action phase. A Summoned Crown knows what to do with itself (play an action twice).

Right, mistake on that one. But it's a part of your action phase where you can't yet play a card, because once you do, you're past "the start".

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 05:48:15 pm »
+1

If you have multiple "at the start of your turn" effects, you choose the order. These include (currently) Duration cards, Reserve cards, and Prince.
Also Horse Traders and Summon. :)

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 07:05:41 pm »
+1

A player's turn starts whenever the previous player's turn ends (assuming the game hasn't ended at that point).

I don't think that's a good definition. Some things happen after the previous player's turn has ended but before the start of the next player's turn. Donate is the best example. Also, last I heard, the ruling was that decisions about which kind of extra turn to take are made between turns (so they escape the influence of Possession). So there's some kind of "in between turns" time.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 08:23:55 pm »

A player's turn starts whenever the previous player's turn ends (assuming the game hasn't ended at that point).

I don't think that's a good definition. Some things happen after the previous player's turn has ended but before the start of the next player's turn. Donate is the best example. Also, last I heard, the ruling was that decisions about which kind of extra turn to take are made between turns (so they escape the influence of Possession). So there's some kind of "in between turns" time.

You're right. What I said works in the context of the OP's question; that the player's turn has already begun at that point. But yes; there is also time between turns.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.