Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Taking Notes - Against the Rules?  (Read 10155 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
Taking Notes - Against the Rules?
« on: May 26, 2017, 10:49:05 am »
+2

Hello,hello

I have a few players who are not the best at remembering things while playing.  It does not bother me they 'take notes', as it make them a better player/opponent for me.  Is there an 'unwritten' gamer's rule, that 'note taking' is probably not allowed or not.   How does the Dominion community handle this?

Thanks
-DooWopDJ
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:50:48 am by DooWopDJ »

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Notes - Against the Rules?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 10:50:57 am »

i'm pretty sure there is upwards of one of our top players that does
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 10:53:13 am »
+1

At tournaments you're not allowed to.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 11:01:28 am »

Ctrl+F the log.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 11:02:33 am »
+2

Ctrl+F the log.
There's no log IRL
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 11:20:55 am »

This has been discussed at great length in the past (I'll see if I can track down a thread or two), and it absolutely is against the rules to take notes. If all players agree to allow it, then it's playing a variant, which of course is fine, but still a house-rule / variant. If you do so without letting other players know you are doing it, it is cheating.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 11:24:48 am »
+2

Found it:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=876.0

Also here:

We finally have an official ruling on the legallity of an automatic point counter?
A point counter is for sure a game variant, not allowed by the rules.

I encourage people to play whatever game variants they want, provided they comply with local laws and are agreed upon by all players.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

DooWopDJ

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 12:01:21 pm »

Well a few points
1. Should (or can) this thread be moved to the "Rules' section of the Forum?
2. Taking notes is not allowed (otherwise the game is a variant)
3. Gaming usually has a 'mental memory' component, that for the most part is allowed, but may be a 'banishable' offensive in some settings
4. Noobs posts can bring up old threads, so be warned this noob has lots of questions and points, so hopefully I can find a suitable thread to add to instead of making new posts.
Thanks
-DooWopDJ

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 01:34:18 pm »
+5

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=876.msg13546#msg13546

Quote from: DonaldX
"It is not up to any rulebook to say that you can't use a memory aid; rather it is up to the rulebook to specifically allow it, or else you can't use one. It doesn't matter how much the game for you is not about this memorization, how much the memory thing seems tangential to whatever fun the game provides; you do not get to use anything other than your brain to handle that memorization, unless of course you are explicitly playing a variant. You also do not get to - and this is important - scrawl notes to yourself on your belly using your own blood. Games between players are played between players, and "players" do not by default include notebooks or pencils, even makeshift ones that are constructed from the players. Expecting all rulebooks to repeat this is nonsense, and anyway would offend people who don't like to talk about blood.

My original long essay on this topic also addresses the question of glasses; I will leave that as an exercise for the reader here."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 11:31:57 am »
+2

Donald X also has a quote on that topic about playing tic tac toe in a van while yodeling, which is now one of my goals.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 11:40:13 am »
+8

I usually view taking notes during a board game as a "competition-level" rule rather than a "game-level" rule. (Of course, I'm coming at this from chess, where there are loads of competition-level rules, none of which you need to know if you're just playing a friendly game.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 09:16:46 pm »
+2

I usually view taking notes during a board game as a "competition-level" rule rather than a "game-level" rule. (Of course, I'm coming at this from chess, where there are loads of competition-level rules, none of which you need to know if you're just playing a friendly game.)

I agree, but it seems odd that someone playing a friendly game would feel it necessary to take notes.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 09:39:31 pm »
+3

I agree, but it seems odd that someone playing a friendly game would feel it necessary to take notes.

Right.

If you're in a competition, then you're obviously bound by the rules to not take notes.

But if it's a friendly game, then you're not really competing in the heavy sense, so you don't need to take notes.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DooWopDJ

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 11:12:05 am »
+1

After consideration of my opponents inability to memorize certain aspects of the game (they cannot remember if they bought all of the cards for Museum), I prefer to make the game more 'playable' for them (if they prefer to take notes, then I can take notes myself, but I would rather want them to play the game and enjoy it.  Just because I can remember things better should be my advantage.  I want my ability to know how to play the kingdom at hand to be the deciding factor, not my ability that I have the advantage of having more VP then they do, and end the game on piles.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 11:26:09 am »
+1

After consideration of my opponents inability to memorize certain aspects of the game (they cannot remember if they bought all of the cards for Museum), I prefer to make the game more 'playable' for them (if they prefer to take notes, then I can take notes myself, but I would rather want them to play the game and enjoy it.  Just because I can remember things better should be my advantage.  I want my ability to know how to play the kingdom at hand to be the deciding factor, not my ability that I have the advantage of having more VP then they do, and end the game on piles.

No problem playing that way if you want; so long as you recognize that you are playing a variant.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 02:38:55 pm »
+17

No problem playing that way if you want; so long as you recognize that you are playing a variant.

Yes to be safe you'll want everyone to fill out the Variant Contract in which all players affirm their understanding that an actual game of Dominion has not been played, and that they will under no circumstances claim that they have played a game of Dominion in speech, print or semaphore to any other entity living, dead, or fictional.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 05:47:35 am »
+9

Yes to be safe you'll want everyone to fill out the Variant Contract in which all players affirm their understanding that an actual game of Dominion has not been played, and that they will under no circumstances claim that they have played a game of Dominion in speech, print or semaphore to any other entity living, dead, or fictional.
On the plus side, if you play a variant you can give players the option of leaving a deadlocked game without starving to death. I hate it when that happens.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 10:58:26 am »

What about taking notes or using counters to indicate things regarding tracking, like how many actions, coins, or buys remain? For someone who is bad at math or has memory issues it seems like it would be cheating to not let them do this, unless you want to supervise everyone else's turns. (Good luck with those KC-KC-Pawn turns)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 01:29:39 pm »
+6

To me, at least, things that help you keep to the rules are very different from things that help you play better.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 02:43:50 pm »

In the electronic version, both players have to consent to the use of the log, but the interface automatically keeps track of your available Actions, Buys, and Coins, as well as keeping track of your Durations, Set-aside cars, trashed cards that continue to affect the game state, etc. I think that it's perfectly reasonable to keep track of such things (with scratch paper, a play mat, or an app) during face-to-face games.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 04:33:02 pm »

In the electronic version, both players have to consent to the use of the log

Really? I thought the log was always there.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 10:15:06 pm »

In the electronic version, both players have to consent to the use of the log

Really? I thought the log was always there.

It is. I'm not sure what electronic version Marcory is referring to.

buckets

• Scout
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 12:58:58 am »

Maybe they just want to learn more about the game/their strategy.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 11:09:31 am »
+1

Yeah, the rules are not moral imperatives; you can do whatever you want as long as everyone's okay with it (my group's always used a lot of little rule changes, e.g., making Throne Room optional before 2nd edition came out).  If someone brings a notepad to the table and starts taking notes, and no one objects, you're fine.  If some secretly hides a notepad on his lap and starts taking notes under the table, that's a problem (if you have to hide the fact that you're doing it, it's probably cheating).  If you want to scrawl notes on your belly in your own blood, and no one says "That's disgusting, stop that!" scrawl away.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2018, 04:00:02 am »

As a courtesy, for one game, each player has announced how many points they thought they had (and FWIW, all of us were correct on how many Provinces we each had!  8) )
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 21 queries.