Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: REQ: How to handle playing errors, either unintended or intentional  (Read 3207 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile

Hello, hello

Dominion has given me the change to build a community of family and friends, and we all play the game with 'positive intent'.

However there are times when a player is going through the course of their turn they 'forget' to 'follow the rules'.
Example: Player plays a 'Bandit Camp' card as the First Action, then Draws a Card, then 'forgets' to "Gain a Spoils".  Continues to play their next Action card.  At this point they have 'cheated', or forgotten to follow the rules.  In this case the 'mistake' would could be 'corrected' during the turn, but the 'mistake' could be 'remembered' after the player has ended their turn.

Currently we have an 'informal' guideline in place, that the next player (in turn) can decide if the previous player should be 'allowed' to correct the error or not.  But sometimes the error is not corrected because the subsequent action would not have taken place.

And yes some players can intentionally 'forget' to follow all of the required steps in a turn, so that they would benefit.

How do other players handle this situation?

Thanks
-DooWopDJ

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
+3

Well if you are talking about a casual game among friends, then the question and same answer should apply to any game you play together; there's not really any Dominion-specific answer.

For my play group, we do as much as we can to fix the mistake, as long as it is fixable. Meaning, if a person realized that they never took the Spoils , and they haven't even reshuffled their discard pile into the deck yet, then definitely let them go ahead and take it. If they have already shuffle, probably still let them take it and shuffle it into their deck. But maybe not if there are things that do deck-inspection in the game like Rabble or Mystic.

In a tournament game, the organizer of the tournament would need to decide on the rules to use. But I definitely think it should be up to all players to help enforce the rules as they go. Meaning, if I see you forget to take your Spoils, and I hope you just don't notice, then I'm basically cheating. So I should say something.

And if people are intentionally forgetting things, like not taking a Spoils because it would hurt their deck in the current situation, then they are cheating... if it's a casual game, just don't play with cheaters. If it's a tournament game, the organizer of the tournament needs to decide on how to enforce rules against cheating.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
Re: REQ: How to handle playing errors, either unintended or intentional
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 07:29:12 pm »
+3

I had a game with my wife and two daughters in which I realized that my deck was much leaner than it should've been. Apparently at some point I had left the table between turns and put my hand of 2E,3C in my pocket. Effectively I had taken a free turn in which I trashed 5 junk cards. Obviously, I gained a huge -- probably insurmountable -- advantage because of this, so I shuffled the cards back in and decided that the appropriate remedy was to skip two turns.

I eventually lost but the game was competitive. It's hard to say if I over-corrected or not.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 01:41:58 am »
+17

One time my brother accidentally shuffled the entire pile of Secret Chambers into his deck. That game didn't go well for him.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 04:27:28 am »
+6

One time my brother accidentally shuffled the entire pile of Secret Chambers into his deck. That game didn't go well for him.

I once placed my whole discard pile into the trash by mistake. And there I was cursing my witches for never showing up.  ::)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 12:30:15 pm »
+13

And there I was cursing my witches

How the tables have turned!

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 03:19:38 am »
+2

2p game, opponent asked how I was able to buy 2 Festivals when I didn't have one prior to then, and it was the only source of +Buys.  Yeah, I goofed.  It's supposed to be "cause and effect", not the other way around!

I let him make the call on how to resolve this, of which he suggested I put one of the Festivals back.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 03:32:12 pm »
+1

In a 4 player game my cousin and I were using the same discard pile once. That took a while to sort out. So always make sure you don't sit too closely to your opponents.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 05:59:49 pm »
+2

In a 4 player game my cousin and I were using the same discard pile once. That took a while to sort out. So always make sure you don't sit too closely to your opponents.

Once my brother thought that the curses set aside to not be in the game was his discard pile.  He didn't notice until the end of the game.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 05:46:37 am »

I'm occasionally accused by my fellow players of being 'overly helpful' in reminding others of stuff (mostly in resources in Settlers of Catan, but also in instances of Dominion). My rule of thumb; 'If it would happen automatically in an online game (due to computer AI deciding it), then I remind someone who forgets. If it's optional, I don't.'.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 12:14:18 pm »
+4

Once my brother thought that the curses set aside to not be in the game was his discard pile.  He didn't notice until the end of the game.

And then he won due to a mix of Gardens, Fairgrounds, Quest, and Museum; that cheater!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 03:03:02 pm »
+1

This is the best argument I've seen for standardizing deck/discard location. It's much better than "because it makes me happy to see them all the same."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.