Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Chapel: Difference between turn 1/2 buy?  (Read 2210 times)

tdellaringa

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: tdellaringa
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Chapel: Difference between turn 1/2 buy?
« on: May 24, 2017, 09:30:14 am »
+1

Are there any articles talking about the differences between buying Chapel on turn 1 vs. turn 2? I'm wondering if one is preferable over the other regardless of your money available, and how it affects your turn 3/4.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Chapel: Difference between turn 1/2 buy?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:21:27 am »
+1

Are there any articles talking about the differences between buying Chapel on turn 1 vs. turn 2? I'm wondering if one is preferable over the other regardless of your money available, and how it affects your turn 3/4.

This seems like it wouldn't be about Chapel but rather about the cards that would cause this to make a difference (e.g., Noble Brigand), so I would expect any such discussion (if it exists) to be in articles about those cards. 

There is the strategy issue where if you are first player, buying it on your first turn gives more information to your opponent than buying it on your second turn.  I would think that's fairly negligible, though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (ī。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 11:19:26 am »
+3

If it's immediately obvious that you're buying Chapel no matter what, buy it T1 to hide what other card you're buying. If it isn't, buy it T2 to hide that you're going for it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 11:20:52 am »
+2

Because you usually (barring cards like Noble Brigand, as mentioned above) reshuffle after turn 2, from the perspective of your turns 3/4 it doesn't matter whether you buy Chapel on turn 1 or turn 2.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 12:47:29 pm »
+1

Traveling Fair and Scouting Party can make a difference going for it t1/2.
If T-Fair is out, buy it on $4 and top deck. With Scouting Party, buy Chapel t1 and party t2
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:10:25 pm by Beyond Awesome »

gloures

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +257
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 09:57:58 pm »

I would just add, while what Awaclus said can be relevant sometimes, do not change your opening buys just because of that, if the other card youīre going for costs 4 you buy it on the turn you have 4 on hand, be that turn 1 or 2. (In a similar vein to what he said, though, itīs frequently a good move to not play all your treasures if you donīt need all your money, if you buy chapel, for example, on turn 1 showing 3 coppers, your opponent will know you did not open 2/5 and can plan with that knowledge, also on endgame showing a lot more money than necessary, might be a hint to your opponent that the rest of your shuffle might be susceptible to duding, etc...)

Adding to the list of cases of Chapel openings that matter between turn 1 or 2, I would say itīs missing possibly the one that possibly matters the most. Turn 1 Summon on Chapel is quite possibly one of the best openings out there and itīs not nearly as good on turn 2, ...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:59:27 pm by gloures »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (ī。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 06:02:02 am »
+1

(In a similar vein to what he said, though, itīs frequently a good move to not play all your treasures if you donīt need all your money, if you buy chapel, for example, on turn 1 showing 3 coppers, your opponent will know you did not open 2/5 and can plan with that knowledge, also on endgame showing a lot more money than necessary, might be a hint to your opponent that the rest of your shuffle might be susceptible to duding, etc...)

That's why it's a good idea to enable the autobuy (or whatever it was called) option when you play online. You can just click on the card you want to buy, and it automatically plays exactly enough dollars to buy it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 08:47:18 am »

(In a similar vein to what he said, though, itīs frequently a good move to not play all your treasures if you donīt need all your money, if you buy chapel, for example, on turn 1 showing 3 coppers, your opponent will know you did not open 2/5 and can plan with that knowledge, also on endgame showing a lot more money than necessary, might be a hint to your opponent that the rest of your shuffle might be susceptible to duding, etc...)

That's why it's a good idea to enable the autobuy (or whatever it was called) option when you play online. You can just click on the card you want to buy, and it automatically plays exactly enough dollars to buy it.

Of course, you have to be careful to play your treasures manually or use the play-all-treasures feature when you want to buy multiple thing in a turn while autobuy is active.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (ī。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 09:42:25 am »

Of course, you have to be careful to play your treasures manually or use the play-all-treasures feature when you want to buy multiple thing in a turn while autobuy is active.

Or if you want to buy Borrow or debt cards.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.