Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What are some of the biggest misconceptions people have about this game?  (Read 2337 times)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile

From the ones I can recall:
--It's very similar to Magic: The Gathering
Inspiration has been drawn from it, but otherwise, the way it sells is quite different

--There's also a 'D' in "ABCD"
Action phase, check!
Buy phase, check!
Cleanup phase, check!
Draw phase, NOPE!
Never mind that this isn't in the rules (Cleanup consists of the "draw 5 cards), but it's been pointed out that if it were true, this would've mucked with Outpost from Seaside

--The vertical strip label strip for the box insert wasn't originally included
[imageid=393368]
That was actually thought up of by some BGG.com user.  He uploaded the file so others could print it out, but the publisher ended up including that in later copies.

--the booklet that gives an illustrated, step-by step directions of several sample turns (including how actions work) was also included later on.

-- +1 action means playing an action
-- cards are played into your discard
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:24:08 pm by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

That hybrid strategies are good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
+4

You don't play cards into the discard.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Loempiaverkoper

• Scout
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile

Well in various youtube boardgame channels when dominion is discussed someone mentions: "Just buying money can usually win".

I think there is confusion about money strategies vs actually only buying silvers, golds and provinces.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
+1

That the best way to play a non-engine is usually terminal draw big money.

That hybrid strategies are bad - or rather, that money strategies should be based around playing a single terminal action and any deviation from this is a "hybrid strategy" and thus worse.

I know this isn't a thing Awaclus believes (even you've advocated for non TDBM money strategies because they can incorporate helpful cantrips etc) but I think this advice is interpreted as "if it's not a full engine it better be Smithy Big Money" and that's why it works people up.

"Just buy good stuff" rarely works yeah.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

That the best way to play a non-engine is usually terminal draw big money.

That hybrid strategies are bad - or rather, that money strategies should be based around playing a single terminal action and any deviation from this is a "hybrid strategy" and thus worse.

I know this isn't a thing Awaclus believes (even you've advocated for non TDBM money strategies because they can incorporate helpful cantrips etc) but I think this advice is interpreted as "if it's not a full engine it better be Smithy Big Money" and that's why it works people up.

"Just buy good stuff" rarely works yeah.

But money strategies should be focused regardless of what cards you incorporate. Smithy/BM beats Smithy/Village/BM, but a ton of people at the level 20-50 range (based on my smurf experience) are playing strategies that resemble the latter and lose.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
+4

Listen to Awaclus.  He regularly plays with the top 50 players, which uniquely qualifies him to identify the most common misconceptions. ;)

Rules-wise, the most common misconception is people playing to the discard.  Obvs this is based on IRL experience and it's not an issue online.

Strategy-wise, the most common misconception is that buying Province is good when you spike $8 early.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
+1

Listen to Awaclus.  He regularly plays with the top 50 players, which uniquely qualifies him to identify the most common misconceptions. ;)

My smurf doesn't regularly play with the top 50 players.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile

My smurf doesn't regularly play with the top 50 players.
Point taken.  I think I didn't understand what you meant by "smurf" and I don't know anything about level ranges 'cause I don't play online.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
+3

That the top 50 players are good
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.