Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Playing Vassal  (Read 15444 times)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
Re: Playing Vassal
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2017, 02:31:12 pm »

Smugglers has no luck whatsoever to it, not sure what you're talking about here.

You can draw it after your opponent's E/E/E/C/C hand or you can draw it after their $5 hand.

Every single card in Dominion has luck when you consider the luck of drawing it at the wrong vs right time. Smugglers probably feels different because wrong or right time is dependent upon what your opponent did last turn rather than what other cards you draw with it. But still, cards like Vassal, Wishing Well, Mystic, Herald, Lookout, etc; have luck in regards to what happens when you play them, which is different.

*Edit* It's not fundamentally different, really. Vassal's luck is also just "when did you draw it"... did you draw it when you had an action on top or not? But it matters that you don't find out if you're lucky under after you play the card, since playing the card is expensive (costs an action). With Smugglers, if you draw it at a bad time (when your opponent didn't buy anything you want), you can just choose to not play it and play a better terminal instead. But with Vassal, you have to make a decision without all the information. So it's not so much about luck vs not, but about how much information you have/need before making a decision.

I'm not saying that the other cards don't have luck, it just seems like more of a blind kind of luck with tournament and, admittedly to a lesser degree, with vassal and smugglers too.  Obviously you can get horrible shuffle luck on any board, no matter how good you are, but with Vassal, there just seems to be more of an element that is out of our control.

Of course, this is just my opinion.  I just don't love how vassal works

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2017, 03:00:04 pm »
+1

In fact, it occurs to me that Vassal breaks a common rule of Dominion that we learned about with Tournament.... with Tournament, Donald said that the +1 action wasn't conditional because you shouldn't spend time deciding if you really want to play it or not. Mystic, Wishing Well, and Herald all follow this idea. The exceptions seem to be Tribute (removed in second edition), Golem, and Vassal. These are the cards that when you play, you have to rely on luck to determine if the card was terminal or not. Are there others I'm forgetting?

Well, there's only Avanto that I can think of now.
Sacrifice with +card token.

Well if we're going there.... Stables and Spice Merchant with + card token can do the same.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Sharajat

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 12:17:55 pm »
+1

How has no one mentioned Golem, the OG "hold my beer" card on whether you get another action.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.