Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Person Seeking Advice  (Read 1475 times)

burnley822

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
New Person Seeking Advice
« on: May 22, 2017, 12:28:38 pm »
+1

Hi all,

I'm quite new to dominion, I've played Intrigue a few times in the past as an old flatmate used to have it and I really enjoyed it, so following a recent board game night in my flat that reignited things I've picked up the base game cards 1st edition for cheap on ebay. I was thinking of fleshing things out a bit with one of the expansions, currently available on amazon are Intrigue, Hinterlands, Adventures, Prosperity, Empires, Alchemy and Guilds and Cornucopia (those two are combined). What would anyone with more experience than me recommend I get?

Thanks!  :)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: New Person Seeking Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 01:08:52 pm »
+2

Intrigue - used to be an alternative starter set so it's fine for beginners - get the second edition rather than the first.
Prosperity - perfectly fine - adds colonies and platinum for 'bigger' games.
Hinterlands - perfectly fine - A solid mid complexity expansion without adding many new concepts.
Adventures - lots of additional concepts and with that comes complexity - certainly one to get but probably not for a beginner.
Empires - possibly the highest complexity - perfectly fine but maybe not for beginners.
Guilds and Cornucopia - two perfectly fine half sets, might not offer as much together as one of the main sets.
Alchemy - possibly the weakest expansion, plenty of others to try first.

So ... 2nd Edition Intrigue or Prosperity.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:38:33 pm »

Go all in: Get Dark Ages, Adventures, and Empires then play with Band of Mistfits, Storyteller, Crown, Black Market, City Quarter, Page, Peasant, Wine Merchant, Procession, Rats, and Murchinary.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 10:50:25 pm »

There have been plenty of threads on this, but this is certainly the right place to post a new one!  Personally, I'd get them in release order (maybe saving Alchemy for after Dark Ages or Guilds), as I think the complexity evolves quite naturally over the expansions.  And I would definitely recommend getting the 2nd edition of Intrigue if you do get the set (and pick up the Update pack for the Base set when you can - that should be the first thing, actually!)

What I would recommend, though, if you have the time, would be to go to each individual expansion page on the wiki (for example, you can find the Intrigue page here), and looking through the cards and the overall flavor of the set, and see which one best fits what you're looking for.  You can also go to dominion.games and try out some games with the cards before you buy any!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.