Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: What will the next Dominion expansion be???  (Read 26102 times)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
What will the next Dominion expansion be???
« on: May 12, 2017, 12:12:39 pm »
+3

Clickbaity title, huh? Seriously though, a disclaimer: This thread is entirely speculation and guesswork on my part, albeit educated guesswork and informed speculation. Ever since the release of Adventures, I've been trying to predict what the next Dominion expansion will contain (assuming there is another one). And while for the most part I'm off, my crazy predictions have a habit of coming true:

I hope we get some cards that give +3 actions.

That was my first ever post on f.ds

So with that in mind, I'm wondering what the next Dominion expansion will contain. Every time, Donald surprises us with new and exciting content, but I believe there is a rhyme of reason to what the next expansion will contain. And with that in mind, here is what I think the next Dominion expansion will contain in terms of theme and mechanics.

Adventures was, in many ways, a sequel to Seaside. Though it added plenty of new mechanics, it saw the re-release of Durations, as well as other cards which have an effect later. After that, we had Empires, which picked up were Prosperity left off. New, strong and expensive cards and VP tokens. Coincidentaly, Seaside and Prosperity are, in order, the large Dominion expansions which add new card types. So, what comes after Prosperity, well, Cornucopia, but that is a small set. After that is Hinterlands, but that doesn't add too many new things. So we have Dark Ages. Dark Ages is the next in line of big Dominion sets with mechanis and features which could be fleshed out.

So, to stop beating around the bush, I think the next Dominion set will be a sequel of sorts to Dark Ages. I think we will see plenty of attack cards, maybe more Curse and Ruins type cards, as that seems the logical step after VP and then Treasure type cards. I believe the theme will be more dark and gritty then we have seen recently; Guilds was about Business, Adventures was about fun adventures (go figure) and Empires was about being great and powerful. This new set will be about conquest, warfare and other terrific stuff like that. I think we will see a Paladin, Arsenal, Seige, and more Knight-like stuff.

So those are my thoughts. Again, pure speculation, but we all love speculation, and I've given this quite a bit of thought. What do you guys think?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: What will the next Dominion expansion be???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 06:21:34 pm »

Any thoughts?

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 09:35:39 pm »
+9

It will be a normal size expansion.

It will contain cards.

At least one of the cards will have the word "Action" on it.

Most of the cards will have "Dominion" on the reverse.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 09:53:15 pm »
+7

The best way to make predictions is through extrapolation!  Since there was a big pause before Adventures, I'm just going to draw a line through Adventures and Empires.

The next expansion will...
...come out in August 2017
...will have 42 Landmarks
...will have 6 events
...will have 10 split piles
...will have 200 cards
...will have -2 traveler lines

Sounds exciting!

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 10:09:22 pm »
+2

The best way to make predictions is through extrapolation!  Since there was a big pause before Adventures, I'm just going to draw a line through Adventures and Empires.

...will have 6 events
...will have 200 cards

Sounds exciting!

This actually sounds like a pretty bad expansion.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 10:22:51 pm »
+1

...will have 6 events
...will have 200 cards

Sounds exciting!

Cheap, though. Unless it has like a million metal tokens or something.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 10:53:33 pm »
+5

...will have 6 events
...will have 200 cards

Sounds exciting!

Cheap, though. Unless it has like a million metal tokens or something.

Well it should have 192 metal tokens if we are extrapolating.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 11:03:44 pm »
+8

Is there a named rule for the rule "There's an appropriate xkcd comic for everything"?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 11:07:04 pm »
+5

Is there a named rule for the rule "There's an appropriate xkcd comic for everything"?

Well they need to make an xkcd for that first

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 11:11:59 pm »
+18

Adventures had cardboard tokens, Empires had metal. It would be diamond tokens next.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 11:36:00 pm »
+1

Adventures had cardboard tokens, Empires had metal. It would be diamond tokens next.
Why not zircon? It would be a lot cheaper...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 12:53:47 am »
+4

There we have it.  Confirmation that the next expansion will introduce gem stones as a new type of currency.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 09:27:00 am »
+1

There we have it.  Confirmation that the next expansion will introduce gem stones as a new type of currency.

Finally, the Puzzle Strike crossover expansion we were all clamoring for
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 09:26:42 am »
+2

I was just teaching Dominion IRL to a few newbies. I've hooked a great many gamers on it.

I was explaining how some cards, such as Village and Crossroads, add two or more actions to the action pool, allowing you to play more action cards that turn. One of them asked an interesting question:

"Are there any action cards that consume more than one action from the pool?"

No, but...wow. How powerful would an action card have to be to require spending two actions on it? What would be worth crowding your terminal space that much?

Anyway, just thinking about things that are relatively simple and haven't been done yet. A card like that would say, what, -1 Action? Maybe it could be played with only 1 action available, but would consume two if relevant, meaning that your counter would have to be at 3 if you wanted to continue your turn.

It does raise the question of negative stuff on the cards. There's already -1 Card in the form of cards like Courtyard. -1 Buy? Ouch. -1 Coin? Yes, there's a token, and debt, but no action card.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 09:52:53 am »
+1

I was just teaching Dominion IRL to a few newbies. I've hooked a great many gamers on it.

I was explaining how some cards, such as Village and Crossroads, add two or more actions to the action pool, allowing you to play more action cards that turn. One of them asked an interesting question:

"Are there any action cards that consume more than one action from the pool?"

No, but...wow. How powerful would an action card have to be to require spending two actions on it? What would be worth crowding your terminal space that much?

Anyway, just thinking about things that are relatively simple and haven't been done yet. A card like that would say, what, -1 Action? Maybe it could be played with only 1 action available, but would consume two if relevant, meaning that your counter would have to be at 3 if you wanted to continue your turn.

It does raise the question of negative stuff on the cards. There's already -1 Card in the form of cards like Courtyard. -1 Buy? Ouch. -1 Coin? Yes, there's a token, and debt, but no action card.

I feel like this is like Forum. How about a card which doesn't cost a buy? Simple things not done yet is most likely going to feature prominently next expansion.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Loempiaverkoper

• Scout
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 10:09:50 am »

Simple things not done yet ..

Haha, yeah, this being what most creative people hope to find in any theoretical science or art.
The good ones discovered it and leave the rest of us thinking: "I should have thought of that!"
Hope Donald strikes gold again :)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 10:32:13 am »
+4

Well they need to make an xkcd for that first

They have.  You just have to extrapolate.

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 11:46:32 am »

So, to stop beating around the bush, I think the next Dominion set will be a sequel of sorts to Dark Ages. I think we will see plenty of attack cards, maybe more Curse and Ruins type cards, as that seems the logical step after VP and then Treasure type cards. I believe the theme will be more dark and gritty then we have seen recently; Guilds was about Business, Adventures was about fun adventures (go figure) and Empires was about being great and powerful. This new set will be about conquest, warfare and other terrific stuff like that. I think we will see a Paladin, Arsenal, Seige, and more Knight-like stuff.

I think it is quite unlikely that we a see a 'classical' /recognizable Dominion expansion anytime soon. Donald mentioned a couple of times that the way to proceed after running out of simple ideas is to create a spinnoff, where you have new ideas to start from. So maybe th next Dominion-shaped thing will come with a game board or some kind of Meta-Story.

Yet, I think, the theme you described makes a lot of sense. It also fits to the three open topics where there is space left to play around with: Supply, preconditions and alternate currencies instead of Coins.

So here are my predictions:
- Victory cards will no longer simply sit in the supply, but you will need to fulfill certain tasks to 'free' them, i.e. play five actions in a row
- There will be cards that you unlock by trashing/trading certain card types to it, i.e. remove 3 Attack cards fom your deck to gain the Power Attack. Thematically this would fit the Siege theme quite nicely (losing Soldiers to gain the fortification)
- The cards you trade to this new card type might be filled up collectively, Farmer's Market Style (players consecutively add to the stock, the first player takes the price)
- The cards you trade to this new card type might be available for others to gain
- There will be an attack that requires you to fulfill a condition before you can use a certain card type again (i.e. pay 3$ to ransom Mountebank). Thematically this will be handled as kidnapping, maybe by placing a card on a new mat (Robber's den).
- There will be a card that when purchased, adds Victory Cards to the supply or goes directly to the supply as a Victory Card or multiple Victory Cards.
- There will be cards that you can purchase with Victory cards / Victory Points
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:47:33 am by BBL »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 11:48:30 am »

Worth noting Adventures and Empires were announced this time last year. With the work on the reprints still going on, I wouldn't be surprised if the next one came out in the fall, or later.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 02:33:54 pm »
+4

-1 Coin? Yes, there's a token, and debt, but no action card.
Poor House.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 02:52:03 pm »
+3

I feel like this is like Forum. How about a card which doesn't cost a buy?

I mean the other way around. A card so powerful that it also had -1 buy to nerf it. For example, Royal Blacksmith makes you discard coppers. Imagine a similar card which said +5 Cards, -1 Buy. If you played that as your only action you might have $10 coin, but...no buys! You would have to put it together with cards generating +1 Buy or you wouldn't be able to buy anything. Or if you played two Candlestick makers, then the Unicorn Blacksmith, you would have 2 buys, not 3.

At first I wondered if that would be too confusing, but basic subtraction is still pretty simple compared to the math mechanisms that already exist, such as doubling, or "half, rounded down."

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 03:27:34 pm »

I feel like this is like Forum. How about a card which doesn't cost a buy?

I mean the other way around. A card so powerful that it also had -1 buy to nerf it. For example, Royal Blacksmith makes you discard coppers. Imagine a similar card which said +5 Cards, -1 Buy. If you played that as your only action you might have $10 coin, but...no buys! You would have to put it together with cards generating +1 Buy or you wouldn't be able to buy anything. Or if you played two Candlestick makers, then the Unicorn Blacksmith, you would have 2 buys, not 3.

At first I wondered if that would be too confusing, but basic subtraction is still pretty simple compared to the math mechanisms that already exist, such as doubling, or "half, rounded down."

I understood what you meant. I just mentioned Forum as a "simple-concept-not-yet-done".

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 03:30:59 am »

You can't put -1 buy on +5 cards. Nobody would ever buy that unless you had +buy in the kingdom, which you don't always. It could work on something like Ambassador which makes you fine with skipping the buy anyway, but then it isn't much of a nerf anymore and/or the availability of the +buy makes it a crazy broken card.

There's the same problem with -1 Action. Either it's strong enough on its own and too strong with +actions or it's too weak without +actions.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 03:51:59 am »

There's the same problem with -1 Action. Either it's strong enough on its own and too strong with +actions or it's too weak without +actions.
Well, we already know some ways to get around this issue. I don't really think this kind of card is ever going to happen, but you can make it like "-1 Action. If this is the first time you played a [crazy card] this turn, ..."
If then it is ok to play this card with only one action left (of cause you would need to buy two villas to have an action again - not so great rules-wise), you can make it strong, but playing further [crazy cards] may not be overpowered any more.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 04:46:24 am »

Well, we already know some ways to get around this issue. I don't really think this kind of card is ever going to happen, but you can make it like "-1 Action. If this is the first time you played a [crazy card] this turn, ..."
If then it is ok to play this card with only one action left (of cause you would need to buy two villas to have an action again - not so great rules-wise), you can make it strong, but playing further [crazy cards] may not be overpowered any more.

But then it isn't such a simple concept anymore, is it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.