Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: What will the next Dominion expansion be???  (Read 26110 times)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
What will the next Dominion expansion be???
« on: May 12, 2017, 12:12:39 pm »
+3

Clickbaity title, huh? Seriously though, a disclaimer: This thread is entirely speculation and guesswork on my part, albeit educated guesswork and informed speculation. Ever since the release of Adventures, I've been trying to predict what the next Dominion expansion will contain (assuming there is another one). And while for the most part I'm off, my crazy predictions have a habit of coming true:

I hope we get some cards that give +3 actions.

That was my first ever post on f.ds

So with that in mind, I'm wondering what the next Dominion expansion will contain. Every time, Donald surprises us with new and exciting content, but I believe there is a rhyme of reason to what the next expansion will contain. And with that in mind, here is what I think the next Dominion expansion will contain in terms of theme and mechanics.

Adventures was, in many ways, a sequel to Seaside. Though it added plenty of new mechanics, it saw the re-release of Durations, as well as other cards which have an effect later. After that, we had Empires, which picked up were Prosperity left off. New, strong and expensive cards and VP tokens. Coincidentaly, Seaside and Prosperity are, in order, the large Dominion expansions which add new card types. So, what comes after Prosperity, well, Cornucopia, but that is a small set. After that is Hinterlands, but that doesn't add too many new things. So we have Dark Ages. Dark Ages is the next in line of big Dominion sets with mechanis and features which could be fleshed out.

So, to stop beating around the bush, I think the next Dominion set will be a sequel of sorts to Dark Ages. I think we will see plenty of attack cards, maybe more Curse and Ruins type cards, as that seems the logical step after VP and then Treasure type cards. I believe the theme will be more dark and gritty then we have seen recently; Guilds was about Business, Adventures was about fun adventures (go figure) and Empires was about being great and powerful. This new set will be about conquest, warfare and other terrific stuff like that. I think we will see a Paladin, Arsenal, Seige, and more Knight-like stuff.

So those are my thoughts. Again, pure speculation, but we all love speculation, and I've given this quite a bit of thought. What do you guys think?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: What will the next Dominion expansion be???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 06:21:34 pm »

Any thoughts?

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 09:35:39 pm »
+9

It will be a normal size expansion.

It will contain cards.

At least one of the cards will have the word "Action" on it.

Most of the cards will have "Dominion" on the reverse.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 09:53:15 pm »
+7

The best way to make predictions is through extrapolation!  Since there was a big pause before Adventures, I'm just going to draw a line through Adventures and Empires.

The next expansion will...
...come out in August 2017
...will have 42 Landmarks
...will have 6 events
...will have 10 split piles
...will have 200 cards
...will have -2 traveler lines

Sounds exciting!

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 10:09:22 pm »
+2

The best way to make predictions is through extrapolation!  Since there was a big pause before Adventures, I'm just going to draw a line through Adventures and Empires.

...will have 6 events
...will have 200 cards

Sounds exciting!

This actually sounds like a pretty bad expansion.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 10:22:51 pm »
+1

...will have 6 events
...will have 200 cards

Sounds exciting!

Cheap, though. Unless it has like a million metal tokens or something.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 10:53:33 pm »
+5

...will have 6 events
...will have 200 cards

Sounds exciting!

Cheap, though. Unless it has like a million metal tokens or something.

Well it should have 192 metal tokens if we are extrapolating.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 11:03:44 pm »
+8

Is there a named rule for the rule "There's an appropriate xkcd comic for everything"?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 11:07:04 pm »
+5

Is there a named rule for the rule "There's an appropriate xkcd comic for everything"?

Well they need to make an xkcd for that first

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 11:11:59 pm »
+18

Adventures had cardboard tokens, Empires had metal. It would be diamond tokens next.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 11:36:00 pm »
+1

Adventures had cardboard tokens, Empires had metal. It would be diamond tokens next.
Why not zircon? It would be a lot cheaper...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 12:53:47 am »
+4

There we have it.  Confirmation that the next expansion will introduce gem stones as a new type of currency.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 09:27:00 am »
+1

There we have it.  Confirmation that the next expansion will introduce gem stones as a new type of currency.

Finally, the Puzzle Strike crossover expansion we were all clamoring for
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 09:26:42 am »
+2

I was just teaching Dominion IRL to a few newbies. I've hooked a great many gamers on it.

I was explaining how some cards, such as Village and Crossroads, add two or more actions to the action pool, allowing you to play more action cards that turn. One of them asked an interesting question:

"Are there any action cards that consume more than one action from the pool?"

No, but...wow. How powerful would an action card have to be to require spending two actions on it? What would be worth crowding your terminal space that much?

Anyway, just thinking about things that are relatively simple and haven't been done yet. A card like that would say, what, -1 Action? Maybe it could be played with only 1 action available, but would consume two if relevant, meaning that your counter would have to be at 3 if you wanted to continue your turn.

It does raise the question of negative stuff on the cards. There's already -1 Card in the form of cards like Courtyard. -1 Buy? Ouch. -1 Coin? Yes, there's a token, and debt, but no action card.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 09:52:53 am »
+1

I was just teaching Dominion IRL to a few newbies. I've hooked a great many gamers on it.

I was explaining how some cards, such as Village and Crossroads, add two or more actions to the action pool, allowing you to play more action cards that turn. One of them asked an interesting question:

"Are there any action cards that consume more than one action from the pool?"

No, but...wow. How powerful would an action card have to be to require spending two actions on it? What would be worth crowding your terminal space that much?

Anyway, just thinking about things that are relatively simple and haven't been done yet. A card like that would say, what, -1 Action? Maybe it could be played with only 1 action available, but would consume two if relevant, meaning that your counter would have to be at 3 if you wanted to continue your turn.

It does raise the question of negative stuff on the cards. There's already -1 Card in the form of cards like Courtyard. -1 Buy? Ouch. -1 Coin? Yes, there's a token, and debt, but no action card.

I feel like this is like Forum. How about a card which doesn't cost a buy? Simple things not done yet is most likely going to feature prominently next expansion.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Loempiaverkoper

• Scout
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 10:09:50 am »

Simple things not done yet ..

Haha, yeah, this being what most creative people hope to find in any theoretical science or art.
The good ones discovered it and leave the rest of us thinking: "I should have thought of that!"
Hope Donald strikes gold again :)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 10:32:13 am »
+4

Well they need to make an xkcd for that first

They have.  You just have to extrapolate.

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 11:46:32 am »

So, to stop beating around the bush, I think the next Dominion set will be a sequel of sorts to Dark Ages. I think we will see plenty of attack cards, maybe more Curse and Ruins type cards, as that seems the logical step after VP and then Treasure type cards. I believe the theme will be more dark and gritty then we have seen recently; Guilds was about Business, Adventures was about fun adventures (go figure) and Empires was about being great and powerful. This new set will be about conquest, warfare and other terrific stuff like that. I think we will see a Paladin, Arsenal, Seige, and more Knight-like stuff.

I think it is quite unlikely that we a see a 'classical' /recognizable Dominion expansion anytime soon. Donald mentioned a couple of times that the way to proceed after running out of simple ideas is to create a spinnoff, where you have new ideas to start from. So maybe th next Dominion-shaped thing will come with a game board or some kind of Meta-Story.

Yet, I think, the theme you described makes a lot of sense. It also fits to the three open topics where there is space left to play around with: Supply, preconditions and alternate currencies instead of Coins.

So here are my predictions:
- Victory cards will no longer simply sit in the supply, but you will need to fulfill certain tasks to 'free' them, i.e. play five actions in a row
- There will be cards that you unlock by trashing/trading certain card types to it, i.e. remove 3 Attack cards fom your deck to gain the Power Attack. Thematically this would fit the Siege theme quite nicely (losing Soldiers to gain the fortification)
- The cards you trade to this new card type might be filled up collectively, Farmer's Market Style (players consecutively add to the stock, the first player takes the price)
- The cards you trade to this new card type might be available for others to gain
- There will be an attack that requires you to fulfill a condition before you can use a certain card type again (i.e. pay 3$ to ransom Mountebank). Thematically this will be handled as kidnapping, maybe by placing a card on a new mat (Robber's den).
- There will be a card that when purchased, adds Victory Cards to the supply or goes directly to the supply as a Victory Card or multiple Victory Cards.
- There will be cards that you can purchase with Victory cards / Victory Points
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:47:33 am by BBL »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 11:48:30 am »

Worth noting Adventures and Empires were announced this time last year. With the work on the reprints still going on, I wouldn't be surprised if the next one came out in the fall, or later.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 02:33:54 pm »
+4

-1 Coin? Yes, there's a token, and debt, but no action card.
Poor House.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 02:52:03 pm »
+3

I feel like this is like Forum. How about a card which doesn't cost a buy?

I mean the other way around. A card so powerful that it also had -1 buy to nerf it. For example, Royal Blacksmith makes you discard coppers. Imagine a similar card which said +5 Cards, -1 Buy. If you played that as your only action you might have $10 coin, but...no buys! You would have to put it together with cards generating +1 Buy or you wouldn't be able to buy anything. Or if you played two Candlestick makers, then the Unicorn Blacksmith, you would have 2 buys, not 3.

At first I wondered if that would be too confusing, but basic subtraction is still pretty simple compared to the math mechanisms that already exist, such as doubling, or "half, rounded down."

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 03:27:34 pm »

I feel like this is like Forum. How about a card which doesn't cost a buy?

I mean the other way around. A card so powerful that it also had -1 buy to nerf it. For example, Royal Blacksmith makes you discard coppers. Imagine a similar card which said +5 Cards, -1 Buy. If you played that as your only action you might have $10 coin, but...no buys! You would have to put it together with cards generating +1 Buy or you wouldn't be able to buy anything. Or if you played two Candlestick makers, then the Unicorn Blacksmith, you would have 2 buys, not 3.

At first I wondered if that would be too confusing, but basic subtraction is still pretty simple compared to the math mechanisms that already exist, such as doubling, or "half, rounded down."

I understood what you meant. I just mentioned Forum as a "simple-concept-not-yet-done".

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 03:30:59 am »

You can't put -1 buy on +5 cards. Nobody would ever buy that unless you had +buy in the kingdom, which you don't always. It could work on something like Ambassador which makes you fine with skipping the buy anyway, but then it isn't much of a nerf anymore and/or the availability of the +buy makes it a crazy broken card.

There's the same problem with -1 Action. Either it's strong enough on its own and too strong with +actions or it's too weak without +actions.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 03:51:59 am »

There's the same problem with -1 Action. Either it's strong enough on its own and too strong with +actions or it's too weak without +actions.
Well, we already know some ways to get around this issue. I don't really think this kind of card is ever going to happen, but you can make it like "-1 Action. If this is the first time you played a [crazy card] this turn, ..."
If then it is ok to play this card with only one action left (of cause you would need to buy two villas to have an action again - not so great rules-wise), you can make it strong, but playing further [crazy cards] may not be overpowered any more.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 04:46:24 am »

Well, we already know some ways to get around this issue. I don't really think this kind of card is ever going to happen, but you can make it like "-1 Action. If this is the first time you played a [crazy card] this turn, ..."
If then it is ok to play this card with only one action left (of cause you would need to buy two villas to have an action again - not so great rules-wise), you can make it strong, but playing further [crazy cards] may not be overpowered any more.

But then it isn't such a simple concept anymore, is it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 05:11:45 am »
+5

There's a very early Dominion outtake with –1 Buy. I think it was a Workshop variant.

EDIT: Yep, it was called "Workshop".

Workshop: Action, $3
+1 Action
–1 Build (Buy)
Gain a card costing $3 or less.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:14:41 am by LastFootnote »

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 10:07:03 am »

But then it isn't such a simple concept anymore, is it.
Definitly not. :D Thats why I said I don't think this will appear as a real card.
I'm sure though Donald already thought about cards like these ;)

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 11:12:10 am »

I think simplicity will come in the form of new mechanics.  For instance, the debt mechanic allowed for new ideas, where most of the complexity was hidden in the rules of debt.

I don't think -buy or -action are likely.  That space has been available for exploration since the very beginning.  So the fact that it hasn't been done yet probably means it isn't very good.

I expect some mechanics to return from previous sets, but only the kind of mechanics that don't use additional components.  So, landmarks may reappear, but not the kind that hand out vp chips.  There won't be more looters or reserve cards, but I expect more split piles.

I haven't seen anyone speculate on whether it will be a. "large" set (like dark ages and adventures).  That's what I'm hoping for, because more dominion.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 11:29:28 am »
+3

Coming from a Baker Idiot, I really want Coin Tokens to make a comeback. I feel like there are a lot more possibilities for them than just the few cards in Guilds.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 12:25:47 pm »
+2

There's a very early Dominion outtake with –1 Buy. I think it was a Workshop variant.

+1 Action
–1 Build (Buy)

I assume you were able to stack these to mitgate the -1 Build (Buy)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 02:30:24 pm »

+1 Action
–1 Build (Buy)

I assume you were able to stack these to mitgate the -1 Build (Buy)

I assume so too, but I'm not 100% certain.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 05:16:18 pm »
+5

+1 Action
–1 Build (Buy)
And that turned into Workshop.

Yes markusin, you could play multiples and just really not be able to buy anything. It's a Dominion card, that's how they work.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 06:03:51 pm »
+1

Coming from a Baker Idiot, I really want Coin Tokens to make a comeback. I feel like there are a lot more possibilities for them than just the few cards in Guilds.

This could be cool. Guilds I think is cool and themy.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Rodel30

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
    • Main site
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 01:59:32 pm »

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a large Alchemy style expansion. Maybe some action cards that give +Potions, or cards that have two costs (e.g. 1 potion and 2 coins or 5 coins). I love the Alchemy expansion, but it's such a nuisance to play with because of limited number of cards that actually use potions. Or maybe there could be an event that allowed you to use a buy to spend coin to get +1 potion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 04:37:03 pm »
+2

I wonder if there's any "rules" left that can be broken. I mean things like:

Your first 2 turns will have either and or and (Broken a whole bunch now, but not until Hinterlands).
No card will cost (Broken in Prosperity)
No card will cost (Broken in Dark Ages)
We will never have an Action-Treasure card (Broken in Empires)
No card will cost besides Provinces (Not counting Peddler because the cost is special; broken with Prince)

What other unwritten rules of card design do we have in Dominion?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2017, 06:14:36 pm »
+1

The only things you can buy are cards (Adventures)
Well, all the things printed on physical cards you can buy (Empires)
Durations stay out for one more turn (Adventures)
Okay, Durations EITHER stay out for one more turn or for forever (Empires)
Nothing can cost more than (Empires)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2017, 07:43:07 pm »

Also, you use the coins (and potions) you have this turn to buy cards (broken a little with Guilds, and then massively with Empires)
Your turn goes Action-Buy-Cleanup and it's done (Empires depending on how you count Black Market)

I guess that one direction could be "alternative costs" for cards? Instead of paying $6, you can pay $5 and discard a card? $6 for one, or $8 for two copies?

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2017, 08:02:29 pm »
+2

A card (or card-shaped object) can't change the victory conditions (I'm thinking of something more dramatic than Colony)

An attack cannot target a specific player (I doubt this ever changes)

Treasures can't be Durations

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2017, 08:10:01 pm »
+3

A card (or card-shaped object) can't change the victory conditions (I'm thinking of something more dramatic than Colony)

An attack cannot target a specific player (I doubt this ever changes)

Treasures can't be Durations
Also there are still only three game end conditions - 3 piles, Provinces, Colonies (where available).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2017, 09:22:06 pm »
+1

Also there are still only three game end conditions - 3 piles, Provinces, Colonies (where available).

Landmark - Medieval Aliens

If you field $100 or more in a turn, you win.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2017, 11:01:21 pm »
+2

The order of discard piles don't matter.
The order of the trash doesn't matter.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2017, 11:14:23 pm »

An action card that cost $0.
-The Compulsive Completist

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2017, 12:15:19 am »
+1

There are plenty of those. A kingdom card that cost $0 would be one that hasn't happened yet, though.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2017, 12:20:02 am »
+1

Could we see a zombie card that returns from the Trash if it has X cards on top of it?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2017, 01:01:38 am »
+3

Could we see a zombie card that returns from the Trash if it has X cards on top of it?

The trash isn't ordered like a discard or draw pile.  It's just a bunch of cards.  That's why the 2nd edition comes with a great big mat to spread it all out on.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2017, 04:40:16 am »
+3

I wonder if there's any "rules" left that can be broken. I mean things like:

Your first 2 turns will have either and or and (Broken a whole bunch now, but not until Hinterlands).
No card will cost (Broken in Prosperity)
No card will cost (Broken in Dark Ages)
We will never have an Action-Treasure card (Broken in Empires)
No card will cost besides Provinces (Not counting Peddler because the cost is special; broken with Prince)

Another rule that was broken multiple times is: cards come from the supply, by either buy or gain. BM sort of broke it creating a parallel supply, but then it became normal after Cornucopia, Dark Ages, and Adventures.
And another was "sifters reduce hand size".

Rules still to be broken:
you start with 7 coppers
you start with equal decks (these two are broken in my very own fan expansion, but I doubt they'll ever be broken in official Dominion)
Supply piles are made of 8+ cards
You cannot directly trade buys for any other resources, nor coins for actions, nor actions for most other resources. You can trade actions for coins with Diadem, and I think all other trades can happen: cards for coins (eg Vault), coins for cards (Storyteller), coins for buys (Travelling Fair), cards for buys and actions (Hamlet). Uh, sort of weird rule but it's there. I guess you could summarize it with "-Action/coin/Buy doesn't happen"

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2017, 09:28:45 am »

Of the mentioned stuff, I'd really like to see a change to the starting decks and a change to the  ending conditions. We have seen it in fan cards, but you could definitely have a Kingdom card that when it's in the game, one of your starting Coppers is replaced with a special Copper that interacts with that card somehow. And alternate win conditions are the best.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2017, 11:14:21 pm »
+1

One more rule that was broken: you can't play actions after you enter your buy phase (villa)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2017, 11:29:55 pm »
+1

One more rule that was broken: you can't play actions after you enter your buy phase (villa)

You can only play cards during your turn (Caravan Guard)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2017, 03:39:28 am »

Dominion Legacy
After each game, mark up individual cards to reflect new text and attributes
After 15 games, cards need to be torn up :D

Cards that cost 2 Buys to buy
Cards that cost 2 actions to play
Cards that also cost actions (+actions, not action cards) to buy
Cards that also cost coins or +buys to play

I'd like to see the "consumable tokens" being expanded in other essential attributes
Action token
Buy token
Card draw token
Trashing token
Discount token
these are similar to player tokens in Adventures, but that's the whole point, as these are the bread and butter attributes of the game.  Plus, those player tokens get moved around, as opposed to being physical things to be spent.

You can spend any of those to get 1 of that.  For example, spend an Action token to get +1 action, then spend a Trashing token to Trash 1 card.

Moat token.  Spend one when an attack is played so you the attack doesn't affect you.

"Pick a pile from the Supply.  All cards in that pile also have the 'Treasure' keyword!"
Thief says it's time to trash and steal some Provinces!
Mercenaries, even though it's not in the Supply
However, we do have Ruins.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:43:27 am by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Q

• Salvager
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2017, 04:45:44 am »

I guess that more Reserve cards will appear, Landmarks seem unlikely but perhaps some permament Events without VP tokens, and perhaps some kind of merger card, i.e. an expensive card that plays like two cheaper cards.

Cards that cost 2 Buys to buy
Cards that cost 2 actions to play
This sounds interesting but it should be guaranteed that extra Buys respectively villages are present in the Kingdom. You could easily do that via split piles with the villages respectively + Buy cards on top. So perhaps Donald might do the concept after all as it has now become possible to implement via the help of another mechanism

Loempiaverkoper

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2017, 10:55:20 am »

Will we see new cards that do this? Would it be fun to have a reaction negate its own action cost? like:

5 Cargo Ship
+3 cards
-------------
When another player plays an attack you may play this card from your hand.

(since it is not your turn you are not spending your starting action)

Q

• Salvager
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2017, 11:25:19 am »
+1

Will we see new cards that do this? Would it be fun to have a reaction negate its own action cost? like:

5 Cargo Ship
+3 cards
-------------
When another player plays an attack you may play this card from your hand.

(since it is not your turn you are not spending your starting action)
Interesting idea but probably too strong. Caravan Guard's reaction only converts a delayed Peddler into a Peddler whereas this converts a Smithy into a double Lab.

Loempiaverkoper

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2017, 12:25:30 pm »

So more generally:
terminal X   ->  nonterminal X by reaction

any fruitful ideas here? money, buys, gains?
o another one: cantrip -> village by reaction

EDIT: I now realize Diplomat brings a lot of these ideas together. But maybe there are still nice possibilities here.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:28:01 pm by Loempiaverkoper »

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2017, 12:40:32 pm »

We don't have an Action-Reaction-Reserve card, do we?

Horse Traders is very close to this idea, except its return must be your next turn.

How much better would Guide be if it was also a Reaction that let you put it on your Tavern mat in response to an Attack?

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2017, 12:56:52 pm »

I hope the OP is right! I'd love to see more TfB cards (or whatever term you want to call those cards) and also more cards that give benefits when trashed.  There are so many fun interactions in Dark Ages.  I want more! Most of my favorite cards involve trashing.

Maybe cards that say "when you trash this, each other player gains a curse (or ruins)" or "When this is trashed, each other with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card"

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2017, 01:02:15 pm »
+1

Ooooo, or a card that says "Trash a card from your hand.  That card goes to your discard pile.  Gain $3"  Turns everything into a psuedo Fortress, and activates all of the fun trashing abilities.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2017, 01:17:30 pm »
+1

-snip-
I dunno... Most of this seems like the classic fan card stuff that comes up again and again. +Action tokens, -Action tokens, giving other piles the Treasure keyword. I seriously doubt Donald X. hasn't already considered and ditched most of these things.

On the topic of predictions I don't see coming true:
-Repeating old component-dependent mechanics (reserves, tokens, ruins, potion)
-Alchemy II, although this is pretty much a no brainier.
-Weird supply cards like Black Market, or Co0kiel0rd's Secret Society. Confusing. Maybe as another promo though.
-Generic messy rules stuff, like giving other types to cards.
-Team rules/cards.
-A new type of Landscape card.
-Another currency.

There are some things that I've seen in fan cards that could come true:
-Putting cards on other supply piles (like Kru5h's Rabbits). Spilt piles adds some precedent here, but tricky to work out.
-More funky card combos and dual cards.
-Cards with piles outside the supply, like Murchinary.
-Funky card costs, like 0, 1, 8+.
-Cost Increasing. This might go under the category of funky rules stuff, but it was playtested in adventures before so the scrapped card could live on...
-We now there used to be a different bonus on Wedding that Donald saved. Probably would return, though no clue as to what it would entail.

So far the most recent expansions have been sequels to old expansions, Adventures = Seaside, Empires = Prosperity. If that holds true, Hinterlands, Cornucopia, or Dark Ages would be next up (skipping Alchemy and the updated Base and Intrigue). There's definite room for new things coming from the "when buy" triggers of hinterlands. Villa shows this. Cornucopia was a small expansion and much loved, so new variety cards could come. Who knows? Another card that uses Prizes complete with a new set?  Dark Ages also has some room for new stuff. I doubt Ruins would ever make a comeback, but on-trash effects can come as well as other trash-related mechanics. Who knows even, maybe another set of knights!
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2017, 09:53:12 am »
+10

Things we haven't seen so far:
  • Cards that affect the next game
  • Cards that care which expansion a card is from
  • Cards with fractional coin cost
  • Diagonal cards
  • Cards printed on other materials, e.g. cloth
  • Cards that let you react with emoji
  • Cards that affect the previous game
  • Cards that give you a "moral victory"

Loempiaverkoper

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2017, 10:03:16 am »
+4

Cards that give you a "moral victory"
Ignoring Possession can be a moral victory.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2017, 02:08:18 pm »
+3

• Diagonal cards

Dominion: Unglued

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2017, 02:10:40 pm »
+5

• Diagonal cards

Glue
- Reaction

When you pick this card up, you can't put it down again.

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2017, 03:28:55 pm »
+8

• Diagonal cards

Glue
- Reaction

I was really looking for synergy with Horse Traders from a card called Glue.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2017, 09:52:36 am »
+3

• Diagonal cards

Glue
- Reaction

I was really looking for synergy with Horse Traders from a card called Glue.

They do synergize: You can discard Glue with Horse Traders.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2017, 03:11:27 pm »
+2

Cards that affect the previous game

Revisionist
- Action
If you won the previous game, you lose it instead and win this game.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2017, 10:14:58 am »
+1

Archers

Each Player throws a card as far as they can.  Whoever's card went the farthest is unaffected.  The other players gain a curse.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2017, 08:42:32 am »

Archers

Each Player throws a card as far as they can.  Whoever's card went the farthest is unaffected.  The other players gain a curse.

That should read "The other players must sing 'dum, de-dum, de-dum, de-dum, dum de-diddly di do' or gain a curse".

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2017, 02:23:48 pm »
+2

Archers

Dominion:  Catapult

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2017, 11:01:22 am »
+11

Quick Nocturne speculation:  "Cleanup" will be renamed "Qleanup" to preserve the alphabetical ordering of phases when Night cards are used.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2017, 11:15:16 am »
+2

Archers

Dominion:  Catapult

We already have that.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2017, 08:49:46 pm »

So now that we've seen sequel-shaped things for Seaside, Prosperity, and presumably Dark Ages, what do people think we'll see next? Base set and Intrigue are too simple, plus they just got new cards. Alchemy will likely never see a sequel based on its reception and just the potion mechanic in general. A Hinterlands sequel I don't see happening, just based on how invisible the theme would be. We've seen when-gain stuff in every expansion except Guilds since Hinterlands.

So that leaves three options: Cornucopia, Guilds, or something altogether new. I guess there could be like a second Seaside sequel but I don't think so, not yet anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of Cornucopia/Guilds mash-up. They're already together in many people's minds based on being sold together, and they kind of go together. There's definitely more to do with coin tokens, but not really a while expansion's worth. I also don't think we'll ever see another small expansion, since all three small expansions ended up being parts of larger products. What do you guys think, assuming there is another expansion yet.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2017, 09:26:10 pm »
+4

We've seen when-gain stuff in every expansion except Guilds since Hinterlands.

What's overpay, chopped liver?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2017, 09:26:54 pm »
+1

Something spanning most concepts for a special 10th anniversary expansion

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2017, 09:48:55 pm »

We've seen when-gain stuff in every expansion except Guilds since Hinterlands.

What's overpay, chopped liver?

Yeah, I guess overpay is a variation of when-gain.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2017, 11:44:51 pm »
+2

I, too, find the idea of -1 Action intriguing.

But then I realised: if you squint, the Journey token is a fixed and streamlined version of it.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2017, 09:17:44 pm »
+2

Wow, just got back from vacation and look what happened! I called this new set, well kinda at least.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2017, 01:07:14 pm »
+2

Predictions on card names:

Countess
Wolfsbane
Huntsmen
Werewolf

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2017, 02:01:36 pm »
+2

Predictions on card names:

Murderer
Village Council
Shun or Exile
Rebels
Blessing

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2017, 03:04:40 pm »
+2

Out of my fan card thread, I'm predicting I'll need to change 15-20 names because they are used in Nocturne.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2017, 03:28:24 pm »
+2

Out of my fan card thread, I'm predicting I'll need to change 15-20 names because they are used in Nocturne.

Well at minimum you'll probably want to change "Heirloom".

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2017, 04:03:08 pm »
+3

Dominion: Nocturne

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2017, 03:54:07 am »

It will contain cards.

Not if the a future Dominion expansion uses dice!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2017, 03:16:56 pm »
+1

It will contain cards.

It will likewise contain meeples, a spinner and monopoly money.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2017, 05:18:45 pm »
+1

It will contain cards.

I was hoping for a rondel and tokens representing different goods, ranging from raw materials to finished products.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2017, 08:34:51 pm »
+2

It will contain cards.

I was hoping for a rondel and tokens representing different goods, ranging from raw materials to finished products.
I'm thinking a metric ton of miniatures, some kind of zombie kitten Cthulhu, a collaboration with a webcomic artist and a multi-million-dollar Kickstarter campaign.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2017, 09:33:00 am »
+5

Prediction: There will be at least one "ghost" or "haunted" card that forces each other player to top deck cards from their hand.

ajon

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2017, 10:07:18 pm »

I'm rather new here and pretty late to the conversation I think, but commenting on the -1 action/buy idea, I think it can work with another thing I considered might be neat if it was ever implemented. The basic idea would be transformation of resources.

So if a card had -1 action, -1 coin to start, it could then allow transformation of actions/buys/coins into the others. Maybe it would need to let you play money like black market.
So you have 6 actions at the end of a turn and 16 coins, but only one buy? Maybe x number of actions can turn into one buy, and into whatever the - cost of the coin was to buy double province.

This could essentially make kingdoms with no engine into an engine using big money and converting the excess money into actions/buys. Would this actually beat big money? Who knows.

A second idea would be similar to overpaying but be "overplaying" So if you use two actions, a card does something extra? Or a card may be returned to hand which also costs 1action. So if you have 3 actions, you can play it twice. Once to play, once to return it, another to play it again.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:11:55 pm by ajon »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2017, 11:29:44 pm »

I'm rather new here and pretty late to the conversation I think, but commenting on the -1 action/buy idea, I think it can work with another thing I considered might be neat if it was ever implemented. The basic idea would be transformation of resources.

So if a card had -1 action, -1 coin to start, it could then allow transformation of actions/buys/coins into the others. Maybe it would need to let you play money like black market.
So you have 6 actions at the end of a turn and 16 coins, but only one buy? Maybe x number of actions can turn into one buy, and into whatever the - cost of the coin was to buy double province.

This could essentially make kingdoms with no engine into an engine using big money and converting the excess money into actions/buys. Would this actually beat big money? Who knows.

A second idea would be similar to overpaying but be "overplaying" So if you use two actions, a card does something extra? Or a card may be returned to hand which also costs 1action. So if you have 3 actions, you can play it twice. Once to play, once to return it, another to play it again.

Well, there are already lots of cards that transform one particular resource into another particular resource. Hamlet turns Card into Action and Buy, Storeroom turns Card into Card and Coin. For a long time there were suggestions about turning Coin into Card, and then we finally got Storyteller. I think someone somewhere else made a list of the possible transformations and which ones had and hadn't been used. I think the remaining transformations haven't been used because they'd be useless on a lot of boards. Action to Something Else transformations would be useless on boards where there's no way to get surplus actions, and even if there is, often you'll buy just enough +actions to play all your terminals and no more. Diadem turns Action into Coin, but it was probably made into a Tournament Prize because of how niche it is. Buy to Something Else transformations would be even more niche, probably.

Actually, I don't think we've seen Coin to Action or Coin to Buy transformations. Those could potentially be useful.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2017, 11:36:34 pm »
+7

Travelling Fair turns coin into buys.
Villa turns coin into actions.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2017, 09:18:49 am »

Travelling Fair turns coin into buys.
Villa turns coin into actions.

Ah, yes, good point. It didn't occur to me to consider the Buy phase as well. So it looks like the only ones that haven't been used are the Action to Something and Buy to Something ones, which, as I already said, would be rather niche. Though admittedly, it would occasionally be useful to turn all those extra Buys you got from your Grand Markets into something else.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2017, 09:36:11 am »
+4

Action to Something Else transformations

All terminals are practically that.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2017, 10:55:57 am »
+2

And almost all cards and events transform your buy into something (the exceptions being events that give +1 Buy, Forum, and arguably Villa).

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2017, 07:23:35 pm »
+1

And almost all cards and events transform your buy into something (the exceptions being events that give +1 Buy, Forum, and arguably Villa).
Expedition turns Coins and a Buy into Cards, too.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2018, 08:20:56 am »
+2

Dominion: Renaissance

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2018, 09:21:22 am »
+4

Dominion: Renaissance

No, now this thread is about what will come after that. I haven't seen all the Renaissance cards yet and I'm already bored of them!

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2018, 03:20:14 pm »
+1

Multi-level projects
Artifacts that give you States
+Buy tokens, called Woodcutters
+Card tokens, called Smiths
Unpleasant purple landscape cards where you have to pay to turn them off
Blue landscape cards that do a thing when you do a thing (but you don't buy them)

Before anyone else suggests it:

Morrissey
Cost: $6
Types: Action
+4 Smiths

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2018, 04:19:37 pm »
+4

I don't think you're taking these ideas far enough.  I would suggest:

Artifacts that flip your Journey token and when it's face up you get your choice of a Coffer, Villager, Woodcutter or Smith as well as a Traveler that can subsequently be exchanged for the next Boon, and when it's face down you get the next Hex, which may or may not give you a State and, if it doesn't, will give you a Ruin.

Man, I am totally inspired to make some fan cards now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 20 queries.