Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Beyond Awesome's Dominion Blog  (Read 2661 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Beyond Awesome's Dominion Blog
« on: April 26, 2017, 01:08:25 am »
+12

I started a blog. Let me know what you guys think. You can view it here http://beyondominion.blogspot.com.

Also, here is my first entry.

Well, here it is. My first official Dominion Blog. I hope you guys like it. In the future, I plan on adding some strategy discussion and also some lists. Lists​ are fun. I really liked jsh's idea for categorizing junking attacks. Qvists lists are fun, but something can be said for trying to figure out what trasher to buy or what village. Some list ideas I have are for best villages, best trashers and best alt VP. If you guys like those lists, I will create more.

Anyway today's post is more or less to say hi to everyone, and just write some random stream of thoughts pertaining to Dominion. Also, I promise future entries will be better. I'm typing this one from my phone. It's never a good idea to write an entire blog from one's phone.

I'm pretty excited about Dominion at the moment. Dark Ages shaked the game up a lot. And, Empires seems to be doing the same. Adventures also shaked up the game, but mostly by providing a lot of OP cards (Lost Arts, Peasant, Page, Save, Pathfinding). Whereas Dark Ages made people better players. While Empires doesn't have as many OP cards as Adventures, I do think it is changing the way we play the game and analyze boards. At least, for me, it's changing the way I play. For instance, I'm starting to notice estate pileouts, and I'm taking Gardens more seriously than before. Essentially, when there is any alt. VP, I give a moment to think of how that can impact the game moreso than I have in the past.

Speaking of Empires, Fortune is really nice. It's very strong, but does best in Engines that can reliably draw. Doubling your money is REALLY good. Though, I think City Quarter is the real Empires winner for best card (not counting Donate). With enough of these, you draw your entire deck and have all the Actions you need. And, man, you can spend an extra buy to get one and pay off the debt next turn. Debt is great.

One thing that bothers me about Empires is that I don't feel it got all the testing it needed. I feel some Landmarks and Events could have been improved or dropped from the game. Annex is weak. Conquest seems okay but almost never gets bought, at least by me.  Banquet is rarely good. People complain about Tax, but I actually like how it changes the game. Dominate and Donate also change the game a lot, especially Donate. I've heard people complain about Donate, but as far as Dominion cards go, I think it's balanced despite being crazy strong. Hey, it never misses the shuffle.

And, yah Landmarks. Some are game changing, but some just randomly give a VP edge to a player that was most likely ahead. I'm looking at you Colonnade. Right now, I like Mountain Pass. A lot of players don't know how to bid, the moment. A good strategy is to buy the first Province and then continue building an engine from there. Usually, players either underbid or overbid. If they underbid, take the debt, and if they overbid, they will likely have a hard time coming back after paying off the debt.

Speaking of cards not having enough play testing, Sauna/Avanto seems as if it may not have gotten all the testing it needed, but that's a post for another day.

That's all for today. Comments are appreciated.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Awesome's Dominion Blog
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 11:56:06 pm »
+1

I think one thing worth thinking about is who you're writing the blog for - if you're targeting the same audience as f.ds, maybe it makes more sense to just post to f.ds. But if you have other reasons to have a blog, go for it.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 12:00:31 am »

It was an idea that popped into my head. fds I'd my main audience, but I also want to reach out to other Dominion players. I hope to have my next entry early next week. I'm super busy this weekend.

Derg17

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Derg17
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 09:51:12 am »

I've found conquest BM to be pretty strong. It won't beat a decent engine I don't think, but on a semi weak board I think it should be the standard play. You want to open silver silver (or equvilant) and just buy conquest every turn you can. If you spike 6 on turn three or four I think this becomes VERY strong. But even with normal shuffles you should be able to conquest almost every turn by turn 5 or 6. That's two silvers and two points every turn. By the time you opponent wants to green your deck has so many silvers it can reliably hit 8 and you have a bunch of points. Anyone else ever do this? I think conquest BM is a thing and should be the stand play on many boards. (Or maybe I've gotten lucky the 4-5 times I've done it?)
twitch.tv/derg17
My youtube channel

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:06:03 am »

I've found conquest BM to be pretty strong. It won't beat a decent engine I don't think, but on a semi weak board I think it should be the standard play. You want to open silver silver (or equvilant) and just buy conquest every turn you can. If you spike 6 on turn three or four I think this becomes VERY strong. But even with normal shuffles you should be able to conquest almost every turn by turn 5 or 6. That's two silvers and two points every turn. By the time you opponent wants to green your deck has so many silvers it can reliably hit 8 and you have a bunch of points. Anyone else ever do this? I think conquest BM is a thing and should be the stand play on many boards. (Or maybe I've gotten lucky the 4-5 times I've done it?)

Interesting question. It's clearly stronger than Harem, and while an extra Silver does not seem like that much, that's essentially the difference between Harem and a 2 VP cantrip (i.e. double Great Hall), which should probably cost less than $5, while Conquest costs the same as Harem. And with another Silver gainer on the board, Conquest-BM may well become dominant.

OTOH, Harem-BM is hardly better than pure BM, I think. This calls for simulations!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:11:39 am by Holger »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:19:08 am »
+1

Interesting question. It's clearly stronger than Harem, and while an extra Silver does not seem like that much, that's essentially the difference between Harem and a 2 VP cantrip (i.e. double Great Hall), which should probably cost less than $5, while Conquest costs the same as Harem. And with another Silver gainer on the board, Conquest-BM may well become dominant.

OTOH, Harem-BM is hardly better than pure BM, I think. This calls for simulations!

In any BM regardless of Silver gainers, I think you should be buying Conquest over Gold 100% of the time.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 11:11:26 am »
+1

It was an idea that popped into my head. fds I'd my main audience, but I also want to reach out to other Dominion players. I hope to have my next entry early next week. I'm super busy this weekend.

You could always make an FDS discussion thread for each blog post. Not like there's an overwhelming amount of content here lately.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.