Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Breath of the Wild  (Read 32250 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2017, 02:55:41 pm »

Random thoughts (just my opinions here)

- I could see Link to the Past overtaking BotW again for me. I used to like Majora's Mask the most, and still like it quite a bit. However, LTTP is just one of those games I can always replay whenever I'm feeling like a game while MM takes some serious time investment. There's a magic to LTTP that has never gotten stale for me. And now we have LTTP randomizers, so it's even better than it used to be! Give it a try if you love the game and haven't done so.
- BotW is the only open world game I've ever played that felt like it got the concept right. Sure, it's a flawed game in many respects, but the general amazing feeling I got exploring the world made up for everything I disliked about the game. It was also the first 3D Zelda game that didn't treat the player like an idiot. If you've never played the Souls games and liked the combat and lack of tutorial in this, I'm just saying, you owe it to yourself...
- On a recent replay of the Oracle games, I came to realize Seasons is just flat-out better than Ages in most respects. Some of the later dungeons in Ages are particularly awful; the Goron mountain and Jabu Jabu's Belly are major blights on the game. It gets very tedious navigating the overworld too. I wouldn't say it's a tier below Seasons, but it's far less enjoyable to play again.
- Wind Waker would easily be in my top 3 if they had actually finished the game. It has some of the highest highs in all of the games, but it's lacking in so many areas and the difficulty level is insulting to say the least.
- I could write a thesis on why I hate Skyward Sword, but the big points are 1) Controls that fail about 10% of the time I use them, 2) the worst overworld in the series, attempting to mask itself with 'hey flying is cool guys' 3) ridiculous padding and over-reliance on fetch quests, 4) ill-conceived attempt to re-establish the canon of the series instead of having a coherent plot. Thanks for ruining Minish Cap btw 5) Fi
- Link Between Worlds is underrated by people who thought it was too short. IMO it's the perfect length for a top-down action adventure game. I also like how BotW sneakily reused several of its formula mix-ups and nobody noticed. (Traveling on walls-> climbing, Rentals -> starting with all the techniques, emphasis on vertical movement, etc)
- Just my feelings, but the era from Twilight Princess to Skyward sword was a dark one for me. I genuinely felt that Nintendo was mishandling this series entirely, and am quite glad Aounma has taken it in new directions since SS.
- Link's Awakening has the best plot in the series. It's kitschy and juvenile, but at least it doesn't have delusions of grandeur. It's a simple, fable-like tale that anyone can enjoy and doesn't overstay its welcome. If you love this game, please also check out the English fan translation of Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru, one of its Game Boy contemporaries. You'll probably dig it.
- I actually dislike the original LOZ quite a bit, and even disliked it when I was a kid. While I appreciate its originality, I'm very happy to never play it again. I find it funny some praise its 'puzzles' when the only real puzzles in the game are 'where do i place a bomb' and 'where can i grind for bombs.' More power to people who get enjoyment out of the game, but I can only personally appreciate it as a stepping stone.
- Zelda 2 might have been more fun for me if I had owned it as a kid. The controls are just too stiff for me to get into it these days, even though I like the type of game it is. Amazing soundtrack, that said.
- The DS games probably would have been more fun if they didn't require the Stylus to play.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2017, 03:09:19 pm »
+1

- I could write a thesis on why I hate Skyward Sword, but the big points are 1) Controls that fail about 10% of the time I use them, 2) the worst overworld in the series, attempting to mask itself with 'hey flying is cool guys' 3) ridiculous padding and over-reliance on fetch quests, 4) ill-conceived attempt to re-establish the canon of the series instead of having a coherent plot. Thanks for ruining Minish Cap btw 5) Fi

Fi is indeed the worst and brings down the entire game.

The reason I like SS so much is that dungeon design is really important to me, and I really liked the SS dungeons. Lame dungeons is chiefly why I don't like BoTW as much as everyone else. Dungeon design also brings Wind Waker down a bit while partly redeeming Twilight Princess, which was pretty bad in most respects but had some cool dungeons toward the end.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2017, 05:14:40 pm »

I really don't see how I can give a full ranking to them all. I guess I can take a shot, but it's a fair bet that outside of the top couple and bottom couple; any that are close to each other could be rearranged and I'd still agree with the order. Leaving out the few I haven't played.

1. Breath of the Wild - Ok, so I haven't even finished played it for the first time, vs having played many others multiples times... but still, I've already spend FAR more hours on it than any other game ever, and have had more fun playing it than any other game ever.

2. A Link to the Past

3. The Minish Cap - Also only played once; recently. But basically it has most of the stuff I like about A Link to the Past.

4. The Wind Waker - The best story. And while everyone says it's too easy and the combat sucks; I really like the combat.

5. Majora's Mask

6. Ocarina of Time

7. Phantom Hourglass - The touch controls really annoyed me at first, but after a little while I liked it. And I loved the puzzles that required you to draw on the map to find landmarks.

8. Twilight Princess

9. Skyward Sword

10. Legend of Zelda

11. Adventure of Link - This isn't even a Zelda game. It's still fun. But not Zelda.

While I have played Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, and Oracle of Ages; I've only played them once each about 10 years ago, so I can't rank them.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2017, 05:16:20 pm »

Nobody's mentioned Four Sword or Four Swords Adventures yet. And I just now noticed that ZeldaDungeon doesn't list them; which I could have sworn it did before. They may be different in a lot of ways; but they're still actual Zelda games. I haven't played them.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2017, 05:24:25 pm »

- Wind Waker would easily be in my top 3 if they had actually finished the game.

What do you mean?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2017, 05:41:08 pm »
+3

So it isn't just that the creators have admitted content was cut; the game FEELS incomplete too. Like, one of the weirdest things about it is that you get the Fire and Ice Arrows from little ten-minute puzzles accessible without any kind of work. They feel like they were supposed to be in regular dungeons. Makar and the Ruto girl are reintroduced somewhat randomly into the plot lategame and feel like they were meant to interact with Link more in the midde of the game. The third pearl is given to you in a story sequence by the giant fish guy, and clearly there was supposed to be something more to that, like a third early game dungeon. Many sections of the overworld are completely empty, which you could say is an intended part of the atmosphere, but feels suspicious regardless. And then there's the triforce quest, which almost universally is a hated part of the game. I think that if there was more content like the ghost ship gating the pieces and the charts had been introduced earlier in the game and acquired gradually, players might have felt more fulfilled by the quest. It all points to obvious development issues with the game, and interviews have confirmed it.

I'm not saying I hate Wind Waker, but it probably needed another year of development time and a bunch of stuff was cut to make some deadline, which is a shame since it does so much right.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2017, 06:18:52 pm »

So it isn't just that the creators have admitted content was cut; the game FEELS incomplete too. Like, one of the weirdest things about it is that you get the Fire and Ice Arrows from little ten-minute puzzles accessible without any kind of work. They feel like they were supposed to be in regular dungeons. Makar and the Ruto girl are reintroduced somewhat randomly into the plot lategame and feel like they were meant to interact with Link more in the midde of the game. The third pearl is given to you in a story sequence by the giant fish guy, and clearly there was supposed to be something more to that, like a third early game dungeon. Many sections of the overworld are completely empty, which you could say is an intended part of the atmosphere, but feels suspicious regardless. And then there's the triforce quest, which almost universally is a hated part of the game. I think that if there was more content like the ghost ship gating the pieces and the charts had been introduced earlier in the game and acquired gradually, players might have felt more fulfilled by the quest. It all points to obvious development issues with the game, and interviews have confirmed it.

I'm not saying I hate Wind Waker, but it probably needed another year of development time and a bunch of stuff was cut to make some deadline, which is a shame since it does so much right.

I actually agree with this so much.

Although I have to say I didn't mind the third pearl thing. I felt the way it was done added weight and a sense of (ultimately fake) urgency to the narrative. Unlike the "Hey by the way here have the fire and ice arrows".
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2017, 07:14:52 pm »

Nobody's mentioned Four Sword or Four Swords Adventures yet. And I just now noticed that ZeldaDungeon doesn't list them; which I could have sworn it did before. They may be different in a lot of ways; but they're still actual Zelda games. I haven't played them.

Aw, shoot. I figured JSH's list was complete and just used that, but I also felt like something might be missing. Should have gone with my gut.

Which is a shame since I really like FSA.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2017, 07:24:49 pm »

Yeah, I only very briefly tried the Four Swords game that was on GBA. It was probably more fun multiplayer. I have never had a single friend IRL who plays Zelda games, so not much chance of that ever happening, especially since those came out when I was in high school/college. I generally consider those and the uh Hyrule Warriors games as spinoffs. Multiplayer-"only" games being considered mainline entries in a series is a personal peeve of mine. At least it's not as bad as FFXI/XIV and Dragon Quest X getting numbered titles.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2017, 11:42:34 pm »
+3

I was running today IRL and tried to catch a leaf I thought was a hightail lizard.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2017, 11:54:13 pm »

Progress update:

All side quests, shrines quests, main quests, and shrines complete.

857 koroks found; just 43 to go. They're all in the Hebra mountains.

All 4 Moldugas killed; medal obtained.

2 or 3 Hinoxes and Taluses remaining to kill to get those medals.

2 star fragments away from all non-amiibo armor obtained and upgraded, including all the circlets and earrings.

Opening pretty much all chests that the sensor picks up on the way to koroks... the game doesn't ever tell you how many chests you've done or how many you have left, sadly. But it is possible to clear the world of all chests, with a couple exceptions:
- The chest game in Lurelin village.. 3 chests that are always there, and always set off the sensor.
- Chests on eventide island respawn.
- There's a couple glitched chests that are literally impossible to ever get, even though they set off the sensor.

All in-shrine chests, which are tracked, are done.

Not sure how many map locations we might be missing; won't know until we have 900 koroks and see if that shows 100%.

*Edit* Forgot pictures. We're also completing the compendium, without buying any pictures except a few which are missable and we can't get. We've done all the enemies and ingredients; just have some equipment and creatures left.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:22:24 am by GendoIkari »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2017, 03:53:38 pm »
+1

I finally broke down and bought the Switch version today. I haven't finished my Wii U run, which I still plan to do. I plan to use my Switch copy to play Master Mode. Also I plan to use amiibos for the master mode run, assuming that's a thing you can do.

This means I also have to re-buy the DLC on Switch. Dammit, Nintendo! Make that sort of thing cross-buy.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2017, 04:47:03 pm »
+1

I finally broke down and bought the Switch version today.
I hope not to do that.

I got to where all there was to do was find Koroks and remaining Taluses and Hinoxes (and upgrade stuff I was never wearing), and it was getting dull so I started over. I had more than half the Koroks and a lot of Taluses and Hinoxes, all honestly dammit. I am of course getting close to the same point much faster in the new game, except my stuff is less upgraded because I haven't killed as much stuff.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2017, 12:47:35 pm »

Finally got this a couple weeks ago and am pretty blown away. I had put off getting a switch until I could actually find it at msrp, but my wife decided to just pay the third party upsell and get it for me as a birthday present. I also had a medical thing which kept me housebound for about a week at around the same time, so I've already put in about 50 hours or so, with 2 divine beasts done and about 60 shrines. Not sure I see myself ever going for full-Korok completion though.

Also, I dunno if this has been discussed before, but this game must have one of the biggest discrepancies between any% and 100% speedruns (~39 minutes v ~33 hours) ever. The fact that someone has already done a 100% speedrun is nuts on its own. The first part is linked below, though commentary is in french. There are some pretty fantastic tricks, like how he gets to the hyrule field tower around minute 56 in the video. And no, I do not intend to watch the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PrbroUjmDY

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2017, 01:20:52 pm »

Also, I dunno if this has been discussed before, but this game must have one of the biggest discrepancies between any% and 100% speedruns (~39 minutes v ~33 hours) ever. The fact that someone has already done a 100% speedrun is nuts on its own. The first part is linked below, though commentary is in french. There are some pretty fantastic tricks, like how he gets to the hyrule field tower around minute 56 in the video. And no, I do not intend to watch the whole thing.

A couple of the 100% rules surprise me. I wouldn't have thought the compendium would be required, just because the pictures/figurines are not required in WindWaker 100%; and it's basically the same thing. And I'm surprised it does NOT require all armor or upgrades; only the "non-sellable" armor. I guess that's because they put sellable armor in the same category as a breakable weapon; but still.

I'm curious if filling out the compendium is done mostly through picture taking or buying the pictures; or a mix of both.

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2017, 02:03:17 pm »

I was running today IRL and tried to catch a leaf I thought was a hightail lizard.

An IRL bunch of bananas triggered me to to think they were in game mighty bananas. I'm sure they did that game item twinkle thing.

Cuzz

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2017, 03:30:28 pm »

A couple of the 100% rules surprise me. I wouldn't have thought the compendium would be required, just because the pictures/figurines are not required in WindWaker 100%; and it's basically the same thing. And I'm surprised it does NOT require all armor or upgrades; only the "non-sellable" armor. I guess that's because they put sellable armor in the same category as a breakable weapon; but still.

I'm curious if filling out the compendium is done mostly through picture taking or buying the pictures; or a mix of both.

Yeah I think the standard they use is "permanent inventory" and that's just how they chose to interpret it. I forgot that the compendium was part of it--that must be mind numbing either way.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2017, 10:10:32 pm »
+2

899 Korok seeds.

The sad part is that according to the interactive map that we've been using to find them all, we have them all. Meaning, at some point we accidentally marked off one that we didn't actually get. So now we have to go through them all and compare them to the in-game map to find which one we're missing. Very glad they show up on the in-game map, so we don't have to visit all 900 locations to check.

We do have 99.91% map percentage, meaning we have 100% of the locations done. Also got all 3 medals for killing all mini-bosses. Still several pictures left.

Cuzz

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2017, 09:27:48 am »

899 Korok seeds.

The sad part is that according to the interactive map that we've been using to find them all, we have them all. Meaning, at some point we accidentally marked off one that we didn't actually get. So now we have to go through them all and compare them to the in-game map to find which one we're missing. Very glad they show up on the in-game map, so we don't have to visit all 900 locations to check.

We do have 99.91% map percentage, meaning we have 100% of the locations done. Also got all 3 medals for killing all mini-bosses. Still several pictures left.

How many hours?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2017, 10:32:27 am »

I finally broke down and bought the Switch version today.
I hope not to do that.

I get precious little time to play video games in front of a television these days, so having the portable version is a big deal for me. As luck would have it, I now have an hour-long bus ride to and from work each day. It's hard to regret buying the Wii U version though, since I got plenty of entertainment out of that. I'm glad I didn't wait the 5 months between when the Switch was released and when I was actually able to find one.

I started up Master Mode and played a bit. Just raised the tower on the plateau. It's nice to have to actually use up weapons in order to fight the harder monsters, meaning I don't (yet) have to constantly figure out which awesome weapon to drop in order to pick up a new one. I have run out of weapons mid-combat once already, though.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2017, 01:04:42 pm »
+1

899 Korok seeds.

How many hours?

273:59.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2017, 03:17:01 pm »
+1

I get precious little time to play video games in front of a television these days, so having the portable version is a big deal for me. As luck would have it, I now have an hour-long bus ride to and from work each day. It's hard to regret buying the Wii U version though, since I got plenty of entertainment out of that. I'm glad I didn't wait the 5 months between when the Switch was released and when I was actually able to find one.
I see. We might end up in a similar situation for some game, wanting the kids to be able to play it in the car.

I guess I should be working on getting a Switch now, so we have it for Mario next month.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2017, 03:19:08 pm »
+4

899 Korok seeds.
You can get 901 you know. There's a road in the NW that suddenly makes a Korok appear, far away, while you're going down it. We had this happen, and I saw a video confirming that the number then can go up to 901.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2017, 07:55:22 pm »
+1

899 Korok seeds.
You can get 901 you know. There's a road in the NW that suddenly makes a Korok appear, far away, while you're going down it. We had this happen, and I saw a video confirming that the number then can go up to 901.

Neat. Also, with a glitch involving the Master Sword Trial and a not yet completed Divine Beast, you can get unlimited Korok seeds; just keep getting the same one over and over.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.