Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Breath of the Wild  (Read 32273 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2017, 04:37:51 pm »

The Forest Dweller's Sword? Isn't there a minigame which gives you an unlimited supply of them? The one which leads to one of the Lost Woods Shrines, specifically.

From what I read; alhough you can replay the mini game multiple times, you only get to keep the gear when doing it the first time. Although now I'm questioning what's stopping you from taking a picture of the gear while doing the challenge (with the selfie feature).

Or maybe what I was reading is just that the sword is missable in that you can't get anymore;  not necessarily missable for getting the picture.

*edit* yeah, it's that. In fact you can take pictures of the forest gear sitting next to the trial; you just can't get it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 05:18:43 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2017, 07:27:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure there's also a cabin somewhere, where you can take pictures of a bunch of shields, including the Kite shield.  I don't think you can take the Kite shield though.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2017, 09:28:21 pm »

I'm pretty sure there's also a cabin somewhere, where you can take pictures of a bunch of shields, including the Kite shield.  I don't think you can take the Kite shield though.

Yeah, Selmie's place.  The page I found about the forest stuff said the same about the kite. So there's "missable" as in stuff you can only get a limited number of, and then there's missables in terms of stuff you can't get pictures if you miss all chances.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2017, 11:37:47 am »

So anyone played the new stuff yet? I've only had a few hours with it so far.

Trial of the sword is hard. Only had time to try it once; and only got to floor 11 or so.

Korok mask is pretty helpful. Not so much for koroks on mountain peaks; the range is such that you'd have to be headed to to peak before it alerts you. But great for riding your horse around and getting alerts of ones near the path.

Hero's path on the map is awesome and helpful for finding stuff you've missed. I'd assumed that it would only work for places you went after the DLC was released; or after you turned it on. I guess they were tracking that info all along and just hadn't unlocked the ability to see it.

Haven't tried hard mode. But I heard that there's a white lynel on the Great Plateau! And it seems you can have both a hard mode file and a regular file at the same time; so that's awesome.

5 Shrines to go!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2017, 12:51:57 pm »

Playing through on Master Mode currently. It's fun, but there's a few elements I dislike. Mainly, the enemy HP recovery kicks in way too quickly, and is way too dramatic. It basically forces you to focus efforts on a single enemy at a time, and make sure you're getting potshots in to prevent recovery. Which yeah, does make it harder, but it really narrows combat options. Some of the really fun stuff, like blowing up a bunch of explosive barrels near the enemy then swooping in to finish them off, just don't work at all.

It is nice getting to explore the game again, and find my footing again against much tougher enemies. Some new strategies have become relevant as well. I've focused mainly on getting the initial main quest done, followed by getting all the DLC items.

Of the DLC items, the most powerful by far is Majora's Mask. It makes all Bokoblins, Moblins, Lizalfos and even Lynels non-aggressive towards you, like the four Kilton masks combined into one. Absolutely insane - you can just walk into enemy camps, steal their stuff and leave without wasting any weapon durability. The Phantom Armour is really nice as well, early in the game - it's as good as 2* Barbarian gear, which means it's beating out most stuff in terms of early protection while also giving +50% attack. Will eventually get outclassed, I'm aware, but for the time being it's fantastic. The Korok Mask is quite nice too, I'm not overly fussed about Koroks on this playthrough (already got a reasonable amount of inventory slots, and I don't want them all) so I'm not gonna use it much, but for completionists it's probably fantastic.

On my way to get the Travel Medallion now, and then I'm gonna focus on Shrines to get my Master Sword. I'll probably wait a bit before doing the Trial of the Sword, especially as I haven't even done it on Normal mode... that could be fun on Master Mode.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2017, 12:30:14 am »
+2

Aaaand I accidentally beat the game. I was exploring Hyrule Castle to see what I could find; expecting to have to go through a long series of rooms and puzzles and enemies... kind of like the divine beasts. After exploring one area, I found myself back outside and climbed up a wall to try to get into a different entrance. And suddenly a cutscene is playing and I'm fighting Ganon. I guess you don't actually have to do Hyrule Castle to fight Ganon.

So now we'll go back and finish the rest of the stuff. At just over 50% according to the map percentage. I could use that to calculate how many locations we're missing.

I also tried the Master Sword challenge two more times, and died two more times before getting to the second rest area. It's quite difficult.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2017, 05:54:33 pm »

Just finished the Trial of the Sword. Honestly, the hardest part is the Beginning Trials, which sounds weird but basically the second half of it has some really awkward setups (Lizalfos with water everywhere, this weird little raft in the wind section). You also get minimal healing items and weaker weapons, which makes thing harder.

The middle trials are probably the easiest. They've got the weirdest gimmicks (dark rooms, wind puzzles, nothing but Guardian Scouts at the end) but nothing is really difficult in it. You get plenty of healing items to keep you going, and while I didn't find them I've heard there's also three Ancient Arrows to obtain.

The later trials maybe give the beginning trials a run for their money. They're long, which is of course not great, but they give you a TON of healing stuff - five hearty food items, which mean five lots of full recovery with +1 or +2 extra hearts, plus up to 6 fairies. However, there's some difficult sections in there. The first two sections limit which kinds of weapons you can use due to weather effects - the first has lightning, so no metal, and the second has extreme heat, so no wood. The third section is cold, and unlike the heat section you don't get armour for it so you need to rely on food effects - but I found a single 12:30 cold resist meal took me through the entire thing with a minute or two (and several other meals) to spare. The final section has lots of nasty enemies - Guardian Stalkers, Skywatchers and Turrets, a Silver Lynel along with several other enemies and so on - but if you found all the Ancient Arrows you can take most of them out easy, and as mentioned before, you have a TON of healing effects here, which makes it honestly not that bad. I had two pretty fun late floors here - I ran out of Ancient Arrows and had to deal with one floor with a Stalker, Skywatcher and Turret. Ended up sneaking around to the Turret first, then lured the Stalked, and finally Bomb Arrowed down the Skywatcher and finished it with arrows to the turret. The other fun floor has a Silver Lynel, with like 10 Red Bokoblins with Spears/Bows on horses roaming around as well, plus a Guardian Turret in one corner. So I lured everything to the opposite corner, focused on sniping the Bokoblins first, then dueled with the Lynel.

All in all, a fun challenge. I've heard there's one particularly horrible floor in the Master Mode version, which I'll give a go later, once I have more hearts, I think.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2017, 01:12:10 pm »

Just finished the beginning trials; so I'll hold off reading your spoilers until I get further. I think it took me 5 tries total. It's not that it's ridiculously hard; just pretty unforgiving in how a minor slip up in combat can cost you a pretty big number of hearts.

I did discover a bit of cheese though. One of the hardest parts of the trial seems to be the very limited amount of food items they give you to heal with. However, there are lots and lots of trees around. And you can cook a bundle of wood to get some rock-hard food, which restores 1/4 heart. It's tedious and annoying to cook huge amounts of wood one at a time, but it does the trick.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2017, 12:02:14 pm »

Finished 120 Shrines. In the ended, needed a guide to find just 4 of them.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2017, 05:39:38 pm »

Fought my first few Gold Bokoblins today. Bloody hell are they fast with a bow. Melee attacks I don't think were affected though. They're no harder to avoid than other Bokoblins with melee attacks, but when they do hit, they hit extremely hard (48 base attack, or 12 hearts of damage + whatever their weapon deals before subtracting defence)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2017, 05:56:52 pm »

I've been collecting Koroks. The Korok Mask and the map feature where you can see your steps really help with that. Now you know, hey I never actually climbed that mountain there, and oh look, my head is glittering.

The one where you have to make a horse jump three gates to get the Korok, that one totally stumped me, though. I had to look it up.

I wish, for the thousandth time, that there was a wider variety of enemies in the game. So sick of stal-monsters.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2017, 02:27:56 am »

I cleared Master Mode Beginner Trials on Tuesday. Was pretty intense. Floor 11 was awesome. Floor 9, the Thunder Wizzro trolled me hard, constantly going out over the water where I could deal minimal damage or else let him heal.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2017, 10:29:00 am »
+1

Finally finished all 3 trials (regular mode). I'm also on the Great Korok Hunt. We're following the interactive map at ZeldaDungeon; it's super nice. We've cleared out the east coast and are working our way westward. At just below 400 currently.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2017, 05:35:45 pm »

Finished Master Mode Trial of the Sword today.

Middle Trials, despite being the easiest on Normal, were somehow the hardest on Master. I think it's a combination of the lack of good weapons with much quicker enemy scaling that does it - especially in the wind section, where bombing enemies is hard. Like, a Red Bokoblin with 13 HP dies to basically anything nice and easy. A Blue one with 72 HP? That's like 4-5 Bombs, and they need to be delivered with little gap between them or else they heal. Black is up to 240 HP compared to a Blue's normal 72, so they eat through weapons, and have a greater chance of getting flung off the edge - which means you don't get their weapons.

After the wind section, the dark section is pretty scary on Master as well, due to the increased enemy detection it can be hard to bait and kill like you might do on Normal. And after that, the Guardian Scout section... everything there is one level higher, and that means a TON more HP for basically everything. Those 13 HP Guardian Scout I's you OHKO? Now 375 HP Scout II's. And those Scout II's? Now 1,500 HP. In the second room of the Scout section, I used up about 2/3rds of my weapons. And in the room after that I had no choice but to bait and push everything into the water to kill it.

The Final Trials I cleared first try, was half disappointed with them. The Lightning section is easy. The fire section was also easy. Also I found out that the one chest I despawned by somehow pushing it through the ground? Had Ancient Arrows in it. Pretty annoyed about that, 3 more Ancient Arrows makes a big difference. The cold section... I think you get a bit more warm food than in Normal mode, and you probably need it since it takes longer to kill everything. But this section also had the hardest enemy in the trial - a Gold Moblin. Never mind the White and Silver Lynels, this thing... just use an Ancient Arrow, okay? He's not worth the hassle. Massive damage to you (I think he has a 27 might Spiked Moblin Club, and 48 base attack means... 75 attack? So 18 3/4 hearts per hit), recovers quickly, elemental resistances all around... just don't do it. Final Guardian section is easy if you use Ancient Arrows wisely. Lynels, Skywatchers, Stalkers, Turrets. There are 8 of those total, plus the Gold Moblin, that's your 9 Ancient Arrow allotment. I actually killed 1 Stalker and 2 turrets without them so ended up with 4 Ancient Arrows left.

All in all, it was fun. I did the whole thing on a max of 15 hearts, which mostly only hurts for the Final Trials because Hearty food (in short: Eat Hearty food before going in to get to 30 max hearts anyway. After that you're still healing the same amount from food inside, so it doesn't really matter if your max is 15 or 27. The Final Trials are an exception because you get 6 Hearty ingredients, so can make up to 6 Full Health +1-3 extra heart meals, and of course more normal hearts means more healing from them). But the final trials aren't too hard anyway so it doesn't matter much.

I'm going to enjoy finishing off the rest of my Master Mode playthrough with the powered up Master Sword. Honestly, the fact the beam costs no durability might be my favourite part of the full power Master Sword. Means I basically have an unlimited use, 20 power Magic Rod, that delivers a decent amount of stun on enemies.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2017, 12:45:55 am »

I keep forgetting about the beam; don't think I've ever used it for combat. Interesting that because of it; yellow hearts can be better than real hearts; as you can take damage and still be at full health.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2017, 03:20:01 pm »

Just got BotW and the DLC. I started a game on master mode. It's super hard.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2017, 04:20:56 pm »

I bet!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2017, 09:12:36 pm »

You're crazy.

How's it going though? Honestly, once you get past the Great Plateau, things become a bit easier. BotW's difficulty curve is all kinds of upside down, and that's especially true on Master Mode.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2017, 01:49:18 pm »

You're crazy.

How's it going though? Honestly, once you get past the Great Plateau, things become a bit easier. BotW's difficulty curve is all kinds of upside down, and that's especially true on Master Mode.

I'm through about 40 shrines and 2 divine beasts.

It was rough going for a while. Literally just didn't bother killing things because it was near impossible without breaking all my weapons. Then I got the shiekah armor and just snuck around backstabbing things to death and it's working real well. The game get significantly easier as I've progressed.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2017, 07:40:48 pm »
+1

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Link to the Past
3. Majora's Mask
4. Link Between Worlds
5. Link's Awakening
6. Ocarina of Time
7. Wind Waker
8. Minish Cap
9. Oracle of Seasons
10. Oracle of Ages
11. The Legend of Zelda
12. Zelda 2
13. Twilight Princess
14. Spirit Tracks
15. Phantom Hourglass
16. Skyward Sword
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2017, 07:54:58 pm »

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Link to the Past
3. Majora's Mask
4. Link Between Worlds
5. Link's Awakening
6. Ocarina of Time
7. Wind Waker
8. Minish Cap
9. Oracle of Seasons
10. Oracle of Ages
11. The Legend of Zelda
12. Zelda 2
13. Twilight Princess
14. Spirit Tracks
15. Phantom Hourglass
16. Skyward Sword

Am I the only person who like Skyward Sword? I guess I am.

As much as I enjoyed BOTW, I'm quite worried it's not going to stand the test of time, at least for me.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2017, 07:58:23 pm »

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Link to the Past
3. Majora's Mask
4. Link Between Worlds
5. Link's Awakening
6. Ocarina of Time
7. Wind Waker
8. Minish Cap
9. Oracle of Seasons
10. Oracle of Ages
11. The Legend of Zelda
12. Zelda 2
13. Twilight Princess
14. Spirit Tracks
15. Phantom Hourglass
16. Skyward Sword

As much as I enjoyed BOTW, I'm quite worried it's not going to stand the test of time, at least for me.

You are allowed to like what you want. Personally, I loathed the game.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2017, 12:43:18 pm »

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Link to the Past
3. Majora's Mask
4. Link Between Worlds
5. Link's Awakening
6. Ocarina of Time
7. Wind Waker
8. Minish Cap
9. Oracle of Seasons
10. Oracle of Ages
11. The Legend of Zelda
12. Zelda 2
13. Twilight Princess
14. Spirit Tracks
15. Phantom Hourglass
16. Skyward Sword

I liked SS just fine. Only played it once though. I'll make my own list soon.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2017, 12:53:23 pm »
+1

My list...

1. Majora's Mask
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Link to the Past
4. Skyward Sword
5. Breath of the Wild
6. Wind Waker
7. Twilight Princess
8. Link's Awakening
9. Oracle of Seasons
10. Oracle of Ages
11. The Legend of Zelda
12. Zelda 2

I did not play Link Between Worlds, Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, or Minish Cap, and have not ranked them.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2017, 02:26:56 pm »

1: A Link to the Past
2: Breath of the Wild
3: Oracle of Seasons & Ages
4: Ocarina of Time
5: The Wind Waker

6: Majora's Mask
7: Link's Awakening
8: Skyward Sword
9: A Link Between Worlds
10: The Minish Cap

11: Twilight Princess
12: The Legend of Zelda
13: Adventure of Link
14: Phantom Hourglass
15: Spirit Tracks

Broken into three sublists of masterpiece, great and good Zelda games. I also grouped both of the Oracles together, because they are sorta one game split into two pieces.

We'll have to see if BotW does stand the test of time like the rest of the top of my list.

Oh, I almost forgot!

16-18: Wand of Gamelon, Zelda's Adventure, The Faces of Evil
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:32:19 pm by Tables »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.