Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Breath of the Wild  (Read 32256 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Breath of the Wild
« on: April 20, 2017, 11:17:33 am »

Ok, so there's a Switch thread where this game has been discussed a little bit, but this really needs it's own thread. I know several people here are playing this, so let's discuss it! Please use spoiler tags for spoilers; preferably with a non-spoilered note that lets people know if that spoiler is safe for them or not.

I'll start by saying I'm really blown away by this game. I'm a big fan of all Zelda games; and I had some reservations when I heard about the open-world nature of this game. I like to "100%" Zelda games, so I was worried that this game wouldn't allow that, and would be more about playing as much as you wanted until you had enough. But that doesn't seem to be the case; there's at least a few different ways in which you can consider the game to be "100%" done eventually.

But everything from the game play to the story; it's just so fantastic. Every time I play, it's so hard to put it down for the night. There's always just one more thing I want to do before quitting. I find myself spending the days thinking about what I'm going to get to do that night when I play next.

So my own progress... some minor post-Hateno but before-any-dungeon spoilers:

I recovered my first memory, and just love the way the story is playing out. Slowly learning about the past the way you do is probably the best storytelling that's been in a Zelda game so far. And the fact that you can (presumably) get these memories in any order, says a lot about the nature of the storytelling. Started taking pictures of everything I can find; I love filling out the compendium. Though I do really wish there was a way to add a picture to the compendium without saving the photo in the album... periodically having to go through and delete all your useless photos, while avoiding accidentally deleting the ancient photos, is annoying.   But still spending more time just exploring than furthering the actual game. I love going to just random areas just to see what I find. Get so excited when I spot a new shrine, or activate a new tower.

Negatives.... hardly any. As mentioned before, the Wii U has a very annoying thing where the gamepad screen flashes the whole time; we literally had to cover it with post-it notes to stop the annoyance. And if you play with the pro-controller for increased comfort, you lose the motion controls. It annoys me that they would have made both the Wii U and Switch pro controllers compatible with both;  so it would just be "pro-controller" and "pro-controller+ with motion controls". Why do they need to be non-compatible??

Um, I don't like that outside chests respawn. Clearing all enemy camps could have been a fun 100% challenge. Then again, with the limited nature of weapons; they had to make sure that you couldn't end up in a theoretical state of weapons all being gone.

Not a fan of having to choose between hearts and stamina with each upgrade. Also related to my "completionist" nature; I want to get all the upgrades; not have to choose between them.

But hey, those are all minor complaints compared to the positives.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
Re: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 12:01:52 pm »

I don't think chests respawn.  There are just a lot of chests.  I like to have my radar set to chests and then I just wander around opening them all.

If you look through the Wii U Home menu (the one that comes up when you press the home button), I think there's an option to turn the gamepad screen off.  I haven't tried it myself.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 12:16:16 pm »

periodically having to go through and delete all your useless photos, while avoiding accidentally deleting the ancient photos, is annoying.

I'm fairly certain that it's impossible to delete the ancient photos. And I don't mind going back and deleting the other ones now that I've discovered the mass-delete function.

Not a fan of having to choose between hearts and stamina with each upgrade. Also related to my "completionist" nature; I want to get all the upgrades; not have to choose between them.

I'm also fairly certain that these both cap out. So if you always choose stamina, for example, your stamina meter will eventually max and you'll have to choose hearts instead.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:18:47 pm by LastFootnote »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 01:31:54 pm »

periodically having to go through and delete all your useless photos, while avoiding accidentally deleting the ancient photos, is annoying.

I'm fairly certain that it's impossible to delete the ancient photos. And I don't mind going back and deleting the other ones now that I've discovered the mass-delete function.

I have not found such a function, that would help a lot! As for accidentally deleting Ancient Photos, maybe it was just story/flavor text, but when you first get them, you are told to be careful not to delete them because you can't get them back.

I'm also fairly certain that these both cap out. So if you always choose stamina, for example, your stamina meter will eventually max and you'll have to choose hearts instead.

From what I've read, they do both have caps, but you don't get enough upgrades to cap both; you have to choose one to be short. Though of course you can use food/potions to get the extra missing hearts from temp hearts. But moreso it's the decision you have to make throughout; I know I could have more stamina than I currently do, but only if I sacrifice life. That's just not the type of decision I enjoy; I'd prefer the game deal with that automatically; either by having both upgrade together, or by having different collections of things upgrade each. Just personal preference.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:37:46 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 01:34:05 pm »

I don't think chests respawn.  There are just a lot of chests.  I like to have my radar set to chests and then I just wander around opening them all.

I read that they do, when looking up what all the blood moon does. But I haven't checked it myself.

If you look through the Wii U Home menu (the one that comes up when you press the home button), I think there's an option to turn the gamepad screen off.  I haven't tried it myself.

Tried that... it's silly; it only turns off the screen until you touch a button on the game pad. I guess for people who are playing with a pro controller.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 02:22:40 pm »

I read that they do, when looking up what all the blood moon does. But I haven't checked it myself.

I've never seen a chest respawn, though weapons that you find outside chests do. Though I don't think those respawn with the blood moon, or at least not every blood moon.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 04:16:23 pm »

I've beaten the game, and currently completed 110 shrines.

So, obviously, this is a great game, no question. The world is so huge, and hasn't stopped feeling huge, despite how much I've been playing the game. I'll still stumble across a new area and wonder in amazement that I hadn't found it yet.

However, I do have some complaints. The main quest is simply too short and too easy. The biggest thing is, I miss the long, complicated dungeons of older games. The puzzles in most of the shrines are easy (and repetitive), and the Divine Beasts are a piece of cake. And they all look and feel the same. I love that in more traditional Zelda games, there are massive aesthetic differences between various dungeons. Really miss that. BotW's Hyrule Castle is cool, but it's also way too easy, since you can super jump to the top of it pretty easily if you completed Revali's Divine Beast.

There aren't enough different kinds of enemies, either. Battling Lynels and Stone Taluses (Talusi?) is fun, but boy do Lizalfos and Moblins get old fast.

And I found the story way too razor-thin. Even Skyward Sword, which was too light on plot for my tastes, had a much more developed story.

So that sounds like a lot of complaints. But I did really like it! Just doesn't quite live up to the hype for me.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 09:32:07 pm »

I haven't beaten it, but I do have all the shrines. I had all but 5 prior to Speaking to Impa and proceedng to Hateno for the camera, but I'm just weird. I enjoy the exploring aspect of the game.

The puzzles in the shrines were, as you say, easy and somewhat repetitive. The mazes were fun - especially if you did them with no climbing. I also enjoyed the Divine Beasts. They weren't hard, but the scale of them made them fun.

My biggest complaint was that at a certain point... Things like fighting became not only irrelevant, but also detrimental due to the weapon system. Once I had the gear I wanted, it would rarely break because I would rarely use it - skipping most encounters (Moblins, I'm looking at you) unless Master Sword was up and I needed to.

The story itself is also, as mentioned, paper-thin. Especially playing the majority of the game the way I did - from the moment I could leave the starting area to the moment I got the "You've done all you can do, go kill Ganon", I needed to speak to 2 people. --- Yes, I had done the Divine Beasts already, but those are technically optional and CAN be done 100% independent of the actual story. My point is that, having completed everything I could except collect Korok seeds following my departure from the Plateau, I decided to finally actually follow the story and was pretty much told "You're done already". I expected it to be easy and straightforward, but I also expected there to be more.

I haven't actually played now in the last three days because I don't WANT to be done... But outside Gannon and Korok Seeds, there's just not a whole lot left.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 11:12:07 pm »

After you defeat Ganon, talk to Kilton, who asks you to kill every single miniboss in the world.  You probably won't get anything for doing it, but it's a thing you can do.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 02:46:31 pm »

I'm surprised at the comments about a thin story. To me, the background of the events that occurred 10,000 years ago, followed by the background of the events that occurred 100 years ago, make for a richer and deeper story than I'm used to from a Zelda game. Of course there aren't as many "required steps" that you need to do to beat the game, but I don't really see how that equates to story. And in terms of getting story from talking to people, while maybe there's only a couple people you are required to talk to, there are many times more people to talk to with interesting things to say that relate to the story than in any other Zelda game. It being optional doesn't matter for that.

I guess I would compare that part of it to Metroid Prime (another really great game with a really good story). You can go through all of Metroid Prime without learning a single thing about why you are doing anything you are doing, or anything that happened before. But if you want to enjoy the full experience, you can read the hundreds of scannable things that fill you in on what is going on.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 02:54:14 pm »
+1

If I were re-designing the game, I would remove as many as half of the shrines (those "Major Tests of Strength" one finds everywhere cease to be "major" in any sense of the word very early on), and instead add three really involved, sophisticated dungeons. A ruined temple in the Faron/Floria area, a hunted mansion in north Akkala, and an ice palace in Hebra, since you barely have reason to visit those places, anyway. Maybe each of these dungeons has a key you need to access the Ganon's sanctum, or something.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 02:55:07 pm »

Haven't played yet but I find it important to differentiate between story and lore. Lore is background history that sets the stage for the current story. It's passive, even if it requires effort on your part to uncover it. Story is what unfolds around you as you play. It's active.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:01:41 pm by jonts26 »

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 03:00:14 pm »

As for the story, I just didn't find any of the stuff from 100 years ago to be all that interesting. I can't put my figure on why, exactly. There didn't seem to be anything novel about it, I guess. Compared to Skyward Sword, which was also pretty straightforward, but had that time travel twist at the end that I really like.

BotW also suffered, in my opinion, from lack of a good villain. SS and TP at least had Girahim and Zant making mischief, as the big bad hid in the background. It's left to the Yiga Clan and the Guardians to sort of fill that role, which, don't get me wrong, the encounters with people who turn out to be Yiga clan members are some of my favorite moments in the game. But it just wasn't enough for me.

It sounds like I'm complaining a lot, but I did really like the game!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 07:20:31 pm »

Ok, I get it. Fewer in-game events that occur which actually change things. A necessity of the open-world style, and something I had been worried would make me not like it as much. But I found it hasn't bothered me at all; I really enjoy learning about the lore; and uncovering new facts through the ganingnof new memories (though I've only gotten one so far).

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 07:29:29 pm »

For me, I just enjoy my story to be gated a little more.

Obviously I enjoy the open world aspect - I equate shrines to, say, Hunts in FFXV. I could run from place to place exploring and solving and completing and just enjoying the overall experience. And I enjoy talking to everyone. It builds the depth of the world.

But by the lack of forced gating of any real nature it removes any deep character development. Link is, of course a pretty straightforward character - but they still could've presented him with more in depth reasons to go and do various tasks that build towards a more pressing need to defeat Gannon.

As it was, you're basically told you're the hero, Gannon is the bad guy, go kill him.

I dunno. Still hugely enjoyed the game.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 12:58:12 pm »

My brother and I (he has the left joycon and I have the right) were doing a major test of strength where you need to use Cryonis to stop his spinny move, and my brother forgot to get it out in time and we ended up putting it up underneath him.  It shot him up into the air, and when he came down, he got stuck in his pose and was slowly sliding.  It was hard to hit him because his shield was acting a bit funky, but he finally went into the corner and we found an angle we could hit him at.  We got a bunch of free hits until our weapon broke, which made him flinch which made him go back to normal.  Definitely the biggest bug I've seen in the game so far.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 06:35:28 pm »

The biggest bug in the game is the blood moon, which sometimes spawns two or three times in rapid succession, even in the middle of the day. Apparently it can even happen right after you beat Ganon, forcing you to immediately fight him again.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 06:38:06 pm »

The biggest bug in the game is the blood moon, which sometimes spawns two or three times in rapid succession, even in the middle of the day. Apparently it can even happen right after you beat Ganon, forcing you to immediately fight him again.

How do you cause that?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 08:27:09 pm »
+5

Here I am with a Zelda review or something. Things I wanted to say about the game. Some of it may be spoilery from your perspective and well none of it is blacked out. I don't think it would possibly spoil anything for me, but YMMV.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a Zelda game, with elements of an open-world RPG. I will compare it to Skyrim and Fallout 4, because that's easy.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 give you three things to maybe find joy in: exploring, building up your guy, and combat. Zelda adds puzzles to that.

* Exploring *

Exploring the wilderness is just fantastic in Skyrim and Fallout 4. It's what Bethesda excels at: giving you a place to walk around and pick flowers. Exploring the dungeons is much more repetitive and dull; better in Fallout 4 than in Skyrim. It was easier for them to give you a sense of exploring different places with varying office buildings rather than varying caves.

Exploring is great in BotW. It is not as good as in Skyrim and one thing you will notice is how much empty space there is, how many blank mountains and open fields. But a couple things really spice this up. You can climb every mountain, and you can jump off the top and glide to some distant point; you feel really unconfined. And everywhere there are koroks to find and plants to collect. You never climb a mountain and think, that was pointless; you get your korok and you get to glide off.

There is one significant negative to exploring in BotW, which is, it rains too much. Rain makes it so you mostly can't climb (with tons of stamina you can make some progress on short climbs). Okay I get it, but uh. I have set the controller down and waited for the rain to stop. The first time you do that, you should figure, this is bad, we need to fix this. There is no wait feature except building a fire and sitting by it, and that isn't always possible.

And then, some of the elements are just not there visually; perhaps limits of the system. Like, there is a mushroom forest. It is the most boring mushroom forest you have ever seen. The giant mushrooms are all the same straight verticle shape. They are spaced out in an area and uh it's just a joke. Shivering Isles (Oblivion expansion, the game before Skyrim) had a mushroom forest; it was gorgeous, the mushrooms all different and bendy and intertwining and scenic.

Exploring dungeons isn't so much a thing in BotW; there are the divine beasts but they are just like a few shrines stapled together. The shrines themselves are very small dungeons and well that's a nice change of pace, I enjoy going in, doing my puzzle, being done with it. You don't explore them so much as see them, but that's fine.

* Building up your guy *

The dream for me in an RPG is to have it be that every guy is different, that if I play again I'll have a much different guy. The reality is that either every guy ends up the same, or there are some very small number of builds, and you can pick one to go for and that's it. The spell guy, the sneaky guy. You know.

Skyrim does not do great on building up the guy. The interface for perks is awful, but beyond that, well. You build up abilities and perks and get better equipment and I enjoy it some. It's not interesting though, it's not like you ever have a combo or something. Fallout 4 is better, it has a good system marred by them blurring together weak abilities with meaningful ones. You want the fun weak abilities but are a chump if you take them. Easily fixed: divide the abilities into two categories, fun and meaningful, and every level let you take one of each (and be careful how you divide them). Anyway I enjoyed building up my Fallout 4 guys. They overlapped a lot due to the essential abilities, but were not identical.

BotW makes everyone the same in the end. The stats you build up are hearts and stamina; in the end you max out at 27 hearts and 3 wheels of stamina, or 30 hearts and less stamina, or 28 or 29 hearts and a corresponding amount of stamina. Stamina is "do more before getting tired" and hearts are "take more hits before eating." I don't see why you don't automatically max out stamina (did I mention you'll still have 27 hearts) but whatever, it's not an interesting difference.

You build up a set of abilities, but there aren't many and again everyone gets the same ones. Four it gives you early on, it makes sure you have them so it can just factor that in everywhere else in the game. You can upgrade some of them later and also get a camera and a shrine detector. And you get access to abilities from food and elixirs and armor, which I will get to in a moment.

You also build up equipment. Unlike in an RPG, you do not build up your weapons, except insomuch as you will have a better collection at a given time later in the game. The weapons break, that's the thing. They break, and you switch weapons, and that one breaks. This is novel, I mean Skyrim and Fallout 3 had weapons degrade and you could repair them but this is a whole different experience. And it's great, I am totally with them on this thing. In Skyrim you will have your good weapon and it will be your best weapon for a while and you will only use that weapon. And then you'll get a better one and switch, but that doesn't happen that often. Mostly you just use what you always use. And in BotW you can't do that. You have the fun of how spears are different from swords and boomerangs and axes; you play with them all, it's fun the game forces you to have.

Armor does not break. You can upgrade it, repeatedly, by collecting stuff and bringing it to a fairy. It gets harder and harder; at some point it's like, am I really going to go fight lynels to get the hooves for this thing I'm probably never wearing. So people may quit at different points along the way, may care more about whatever suit than whatever other suit. But it all goes the same direction. There's some joy to building up the stuff but uh. It's nothing like the dream.

Another thing you do is collect uh stuff you could sell but often don't. Some of it goes into upgrading armor; a lot of it goes into making food or elixirs. You find a pot and light a fire under it and cook up some Simmered Fruit or Meat and Mushroom Skewers, to eat later when you're injured. This is the biggest negative of the game for me: the interface acts like you are going to just cook once in a while, but you cook a lot. I want to click on four things and then make 10 of that dish (and have them stack in my inventory). I don't want to just get to make one at a time, and have it go out of my inventory to show the items bouncing in the pot, which is what it actually does. And your inventory isn't sorted; stuff you cook is mixed with stuff you never cook, and items you'll cook together (e.g. two things that both have the heat-resistance ability) are separated by random distances across multiple pages. Just, cooking is way more work than it had to be, way way more work.

Furthermore, you can make food or elixirs. Food is made out of uh food, elixirs out of one "critter" - a frog or bug or something - and then monster parts. Food heals you; food and elixirs can grant temporary bonuses, e.g. +speed for N minutes. The abilities overlap 100%; everything an elixir can do, food can do (maybe it's 95%; I don't remember a flame guard food). And you can only have one effect on you at a time; eat a +attack snack and you lose your +speed. The upshot is, elixirs have no special identity and no real function, they are just food that doesn't heal you (and sometimes does even). It would have been easy to separate out abilities between the two and have elixirs mean something. I would have just confined food abilities to +hearts and +stamina and the super versions of those.

I also think it's sad that the basic food ingredients that really distinguish foods name-wise are things you have to buy in stores, for the joy of getting a differently-named food; you can make an apple pie or salmon paella, but mostly you will make the same basic dishes out of your random fruits and mushrooms and meats. Ah, another meal of Simmered Fruit.

And finally you build up inventory slots by finding koroks. You build up a bunch of ways really, and it's fun to build up, even if you don't get to head towards a unique final guy.

* Combat *

Combat in Skyrim just sucks. Man. So bad. It's better in Fallout 4; it's not great but I mean, there's a certain amount of joy to shooting the stuff. Overall the low point of the Bethesda games. They should make one of these games with no combat, I am not kidding. Focus on your strengths.

BotW pushes physics and multiple solutions for its combat. It also doesn't make you do it, that's a big thing. Why fight these moblins? There are no experience points. The loot won't matter; you aren't farming anything except exotic stuff for high-level armor upgrades. Your weapons will degrade. This is another freeing thing; you aren't pushed to fight stuff for the sake of getting better. You can just run away from a lot of the fights, fight the battles that matter.

Anyway physics! There's a physics engine. Your club will catch fire if it hits the campfire, and set a monster on fire if you hit a monster with it, and set grass on fire if you hit grass with it, and the grass will create a gust of wind you can float on with your paraglider. But that tree? It's never catching on fire. You can chop down the tree and get wood and branches and whatever fruit was up there, but there are no forest fires. Maybe next game.

Anyway the physics stuff does a lot to keep combat entertaining. There will be a lot of things you can do; it's better not to just charge in and whack things, and there are a lot of ways to not do that. And charging in doesn't just play out one way either. The monsters behave different ways; a wolf circles you and then darts in and stuns you, a lizalfos dances back and forth then lunges past you. Bokoblins ride horses sometimes, hey that's not fair.

Overall it's just way better combat than an RPG ever has.

* Puzzles *

As noted the Bethesda games don't have puzzles. A puzzle in Skyrim is like "put the three things in the order they were on that thing you found." If we count them they just score rock-bottom.

The puzzles in BotW shrines are mostly easy. A great thing is that they set up the rules and then you do whatever; you can "cheat" some of them with the physics engine and that's just cool. You're supposed to hit two levers in some sequence to get the 6 torches lit, but with 5 lit you can just shoot a fire arrow at the last one and that's that, they're all lit. It's like when Indy shoots the guy instead of fighting him. You get to do that. On some of them anyway.

The divine beasts didn't really do it for me. They're like shrines but bigger and with a significant uh rotation element, some way to manipulate the rooms you're in that varies a little between the beasts. It reminded me of Zork 3, which is not a compliment. But uh I dunno, they were low points for me, the pseudo-boss-fight to get in and the boss fight especially. I almost never like boss fights and I did not like these. the puzzles themselves were fine but uh whatever.

The shrines were fun despite the easy puzzles. The chests give you a little extra challenge; there's at least one chest in each shrine and you can try to get them but don't have to.

The koroks are also puzzles. There are 900 guys hidden in the world. Some are just under an out-of-the-way rock; others are hidden at least 8 other ways, where something matches or doesn't and you do something and bam your korok appears. These are only puzzles the first time - then you know, that's one way koroks are hidden. Still it counts. And some of them are little challenges, you find it but then need to do something to get it. Anyway as mentioned under exploring, they spice up exploring, you find them everywhere and are happy to.

* Story *

I didn't list this as a possible source of joy. Man it so isn't. You cannot entertain someone with the Skyrim or Fallout 4 stories. It's the same here. It's kind of interesting how Zelda is portrayed in the flashbacks, but not I'd-watch-that-movie interesting. There are lots of little quests and some of them have stories to them and uh they don't get in the way? There were a couple laughs. Natalie was watching me play and called the contents of that one chest, you know the one.

* So then *

At the start of the game, you gradually learn how to use the infinite controls, and see how detailed the game is, how much you can do and how many small areas they filled in. You explore your basic abilities and the way combat works and the physics engine. And it's so great. You have so much freedom. The initial space to explore feels large, and then you get out into the rest of the world which dwarfs it. And for a while you can just endlessly explore uncharted territory. You pile up quests and you can do those, and start to explore charted territory, see all the places that are on the map but which you haven't been to. You climb every mountain.

At some point the thrills space out more. At this point I have most of the shrines but not all of them; I don't know where to look for the rest and it is starting to take a while to find one. I will never get all the koroks. There are memories to find - backstory - and I don't quite have them all, I don't remember where these last two were supposed to be and the pictures didn't give it away. There is a compendium, you can take a picture of everything and have all those pictures. I don't know how seriously I'll take that but I started snapping pics. I've put off the last fight because well do I really keep playing after that? I mean I know you can't, that you go back to right before the fight and then do something else but it knows you beat it. But what, why not do the other stuff first. It's not like the last fight will be as fun as this stuff either.

Overall it's a great game. The biggest issue is the poor cooking interface. And it rains too much. The divine beasts could have been better.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 09:07:28 pm »

Overall it's a great game. The biggest issue is the poor cooking interface. And it rains too much. The divine beasts could have been better.

The biggest issue is those things *and* the blood moon. Just today, I was doing a side quest where you have to accompany a love letter as it slowly floats down the Zora's river for a long time. Then the blood moon came and guess what? It reset the quest, the love letter went right back to its author. Then I did it again and the blood moon interrupted me again. Okay, that's it, this quest is never getting completed. Sorry, would-be lovers.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 04:16:25 am »
+1

The biggest issue is those things *and* the blood moon. Just today, I was doing a side quest where you have to accompany a love letter as it slowly floats down the Zora's river for a long time. Then the blood moon came and guess what? It reset the quest, the love letter went right back to its author. Then I did it again and the blood moon interrupted me again. Okay, that's it, this quest is never getting completed. Sorry, would-be lovers.

I can't say it's not an issue - but I do feel YMMV. Having completed the game now, and acquired all shrines, I have yet to be impacted in any noticeable way whatsoever by this "feature". The most annoying part was needing one for a Shrine, and it's refusal to appear.

But yeah. While I've experienced no negatives to it, I may be the exception.

Mafia Record:

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 07:42:09 am »
+1

The most annoying part was needing one for a Shrine, and it's refusal to appear.
For anyone else dealing with that, it turns out that you do not need to sit around there waiting for a blood moon. If you just do stuff wherever in the world, and at the first hint of a blood moon you teleport as close as you can and race to the spot, you get there in time. Or at least I did. I wasn't waiting around for a blood moon. And they anticipated that.

I never enjoy "wait until 7 o'clock" stuff, but it's especially bad in a game where instead of a wait command there's building a fire and sitting by it, and instead of whatever hour you have just a few particular times you can wait until. There were a few of those things, where you build your fire and get as close as that gets you and then set the controller down, now it's up to the sun.

I haven't had any bad blood moon experiences. I wondered if it could happen on Eventide, that sounded annoying, but it didn't while I was there. I did the love letter quest, oh Robz888, they were so happy.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 08:34:38 am »

I don't think it happened to me on Eventide Island. It did happen once the very second after I killed a Lynel, which would have been fine--more Lynel hoofs and weapons for me, yay--except all the loot de-spawned. Thanks, blood moon.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 11:26:19 am »

I don't think it happened to me on Eventide Island. It did happen once the very second after I killed a Lynel, which would have been fine--more Lynel hoofs and weapons for me, yay--except all the loot de-spawned. Thanks, blood moon.

Do you have a faulty version or something?  I've had blood moons directly after a lynel fight, and he didn't respawn right away and the loot stayed.  And I've never seen them too close to each other.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.713 seconds with 21 queries.