Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Breath of the Wild  (Read 32243 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2017, 09:43:11 pm »
+5

UPDATE

• Shrines: 100%
  • Koroks / Hestu's Gift: 100%
  • Map Percentage / Locations: 100%
  • All Mini Bosses / Kilton Medals: 100%
  • Compendium / Secret Envelope: 100%
  • Armor upgrades: 100% of all non-amiibo armor that can be obtained is 100% upgraded. Includes DLC armor.
  • Horse Gear: 100% of all non-amiibo horse gear
  • Side Quests: 100%
  • Shrine Quests: 100%
  • Main Quests: 100% (Though obviously our save file shows "Defeat Ganon" incomplete)
  • Trial of the Sword: 100%

For the Compendium, all pictures were found and taken ourselves, with the 5 exceptions:
- The free sample Symin gives when you first unlock the ability to buy photos
- Lynel Spear, Lynel Crusher, Mighty Lynel Spear, Mighty Lynel Crusher - These 4 weapons disappear from the game forever if you get far enough that Lynels become upgraded to using Savage weapons.

Those 5 photos were obtained from Symin.

In order to get the Light Bow picture we had to beat the game again.

So everything (non-amiibo) is as 100% as you can get... except for treasure chests. We've certainly opened a great deal of chests... have had the sensor set to location treasure chests for quite a while now, and have been getting the ones that the sensor finds (and it has a big range). We also found a couple of the "glitched chests" which are impossible to obtain.

Haven't touched Master Mode. Not sure if I will; maybe some day.

I think I can call this the best video game I've ever played; simply based on the number of hours we put into it; and how much I was wanting to play it during the past several months. But not sure about replayability; I'll never be able to duplicate that sense of awesome exploration and discovery that came when it was new.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2017, 12:44:57 pm »
+6

You forgot to add to your list:

• Dedication: 100%
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2017, 01:22:01 pm »

How did you feel when you got the very last thing, and you were done?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2017, 02:43:22 pm »
+3

How did you feel when you got the very last thing, and you were done?

The fact that you can't get 100% and then beat the game (impossible to get Kilton medals or envelope before beating the game) makes the last thing (an armor upgrade, in our case) a little anti-climactic. No sense of the game being actually over.

Don't really feel "done" due to having an unknown number of chests around the world. We'll probably wait until December's new content and go back to it then.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2017, 06:58:53 am »

So apparently they just released a small update to add a new armor promoting the new Xenoblade game. Suddenly I don’t have 100% anymore.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2017, 05:15:01 pm »

Yeah I heard about that. One part of me was like, I'm so hyped about XB2, I want it - XB1 is my favourite video game ever, even though I've played it enough times now that I kinda don't want to play it again. But then I'm also like, dude Tables, you've been avoiding all news and info about this game for 6 months now, why spoil that now?

Plus the DLC part 2 will be coming in a month or so, so there's that to look forward to.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2017, 09:34:05 am »

So apparently they just released a small update to add a new armor promoting the new Xenoblade game. Suddenly I don’t have 100% anymore.

I wonder if the update also provided support for the four new amiibo.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2017, 12:25:19 am »

So I finally caved in and bought a Switch with Breath of the Wild. The explorer's edition adds a map and a guidebook, which are ok, though a bit too spoilerific for my taste.

I am about 8 hours in, just talked to Impa. I've been mostly following the plot until now, taking my time to investigate stuff in the way, but not going off-tracks.

It's very different from how other Zelda games feel. Getting four powers right off the bat is strange, you don't have the time to get used to them before you're sent off to explore. I get why they do it (backtracking in such a ridiculously large open world would not feel great), but man do I ever forget I can stasis stuff. I also wish the things you could apply Stasis and Magnesis on were a bit more consistent (I am looking at you, chests in hard to reach places).

I wish some things were explained a bit better. The game throws a bunch of concepts and mechanics at you at the beginning with very little in the way of explanation, aside from the loading tips. Cooking in particular comes to mind, I can't really say it has the most intuitive interface (particularly jarring when taking into account you kinda have to figure out cooking to reach two of the shrines in the Great Plateau). Almost makes me wish for an actual tutorial.

That being said, I am thoroughly enjoying my time in Hyrule until now :)
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2017, 12:14:29 pm »

So the new update is out now. I haven't started it yet; but probably will next week.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2017, 10:20:22 am »

Some thoughts on the dlc:

Just tried it out, and I’m disappointed. When the description of Champions Ballad promised a new dungeon, I was excited, because after beating the game I realized that good dungeons were what I felt was most lacking. I expected something awesome that would redeem the overall weak dungeon design, maybe something the vein of Hyrule Castle, since that was the one part of the game that really nailed the open world exploration theme in the context of a dungeon, and I really wish there had been more of that. I maybe expected more of the map to be accessible, like across the canyon to the north.

And instead we get...another tedious combat trial. I expect there is actually a dungeon afterwards, because otherwise the teasers would have been a complete lie, but I am not really all that motivated to get there. There is already the trial of the sword for those who love a combat challenge or who want hours of frustrating game overs.   

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2017, 06:21:31 pm »
+2

I also wish the things you could apply Stasis and Magnesis on were a bit more consistent (I am looking at you, chests in hard to reach places).

Magnesis only applies to metal things, and chests can be made of several different materials - wood, stone and metal being the most common. The ones in Shrines are probably the only ones that aren't easy to tell apart at a glance, since the metal and non-metal designs are fairly similar.

Stasis can be applied to almost anything that moves that isn't a living creature. I haven't really noticed any inconsistencies with it.

Also, played and now finished DLC2. I'll keep this spoiler free, basically nothing you wouldn't have seen in a trailer:

New armour is lame. The quests for it are pretty poor in describing the armour locations (I had to look more than one up, and was just like, "how does the clue even point THERE?), and the armour itself is all pretty boring effects wise. DLC1's armour was at least good early on, as well as giving a few extremely useful tools in general. DLC2's... even if you got them early, I don't think any would be hugely useful. Maybe a few would help occasionally, but it'd be a fairly niche swap to them.

The new story quest is huge, and really fun. This is split into three parts, and I can't go into too much detail on any without at least some minor spoilers, but in short... it starts okay, then gets quite good, and ends on a great note, even though the in-game reward is actually pretty lame. So yeah... not gonna spoil any details, but for those who want to keep everything a complete surprise, I guess skip the spoilers.

Part 1: This takes place on the Great Plateau - basically, you get put in OHKO mode, so you kill everything in one hit but you also have only 1/4 heart and no healing. It's a fun little challenge, but I feel like they should have banned bows. New shrines as well which is fun.

Part 2: Trials at each Divine Beast. They're not all that long or difficult, but they let you do a few more things in the world and have a few puzzles to solve. Plus you get to hear more of Kass, and get cinematic cutscenes. The reward for each part here is nice as well

Part 3: The new dungeon. It's similar to the divine beast dungeons, and has a new boss fight at the end. The puzzles here are pretty fun, and the boss fight is probably the single best boss fight in the game. Possibly one of the hardest, too - though with my postgame complete Link it still wasn't "hard".

All in all, a pretty rewarding bit of content.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2017, 07:21:52 pm »

I also wish the things you could apply Stasis and Magnesis on were a bit more consistent (I am looking at you, chests in hard to reach places).

Magnesis only applies to metal things, and chests can be made of several different materials - wood, stone and metal being the most common. The ones in Shrines are probably the only ones that aren't easy to tell apart at a glance, since the metal and non-metal designs are fairly similar.

Stasis can be applied to almost anything that moves that isn't a living creature. I haven't really noticed any inconsistencies with it.

Hm, maybe it's just a question of not having enough time to get familiar with those runes before you get the next one. I will probably get used to it in time. Shrine chests are impossible to tell apart though, aside from checking, which ok takes about three seconds.

TBH, the only two things I've found disappointing are that Kakariko village didn't have some remix of OoT's theme, and that you can feed, but not pet, dogs :(

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2017, 08:16:20 pm »

That isn’t a living creature? Did you not get stasis+?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:09:47 am by GendoIkari »

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2017, 06:43:07 pm »

I specifically didn't mention that because I was avoiding spoilers, and he clearly doesn't have Stasis+ yet as he's only in Kakariko.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2017, 01:09:59 am »

I specifically didn't mention that because I was avoiding spoilers, and he clearly doesn't have Stasis+ yet as he's only in Kakariko.

:-[

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 24, 2017, 10:40:54 pm »
+1

Just got a switch with breath of the wild.

And I thought I was going to do work next week....
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2017, 05:24:43 am »

Just got a switch with breath of the wild.

And I thought I was going to do work next week....

Dude. Same. It takes so much time. I left it behind before going home for the holidays, otherwise I wouldn’t have seen my family at all.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2018, 12:36:40 pm »

The new story quest is huge, and really fun. This is split into three parts, and I can't go into too much detail on any without at least some minor spoilers, but in short... it starts okay, then gets quite good, and ends on a great note, even though the in-game reward is actually pretty lame. So yeah... not gonna spoil any details, but for those who want to keep everything a complete surprise, I guess skip the spoilers.

Part 1: This takes place on the Great Plateau - basically, you get put in OHKO mode, so you kill everything in one hit but you also have only 1/4 heart and no healing. It's a fun little challenge, but I feel like they should have banned bows. New shrines as well which is fun.

Part 2: Trials at each Divine Beast. They're not all that long or difficult, but they let you do a few more things in the world and have a few puzzles to solve. Plus you get to hear more of Kass, and get cinematic cutscenes. The reward for each part here is nice as well

Part 3: The new dungeon. It's similar to the divine beast dungeons, and has a new boss fight at the end. The puzzles here are pretty fun, and the boss fight is probably the single best boss fight in the game. Possibly one of the hardest, too - though with my postgame complete Link it still wasn't "hard".

All in all, a pretty rewarding bit of content.

I pretty much agree with this. While I do wish there had been some things like new land to explore, or more Hyrule castle like dungeons, what you did get was a lot of fun.

The new Shrines seemed overall better than the average Shrines from the new game... and there's a LOT of them. 16 new Shrines I think? The new dungeon was just fine; some good puzzles. But still too similar to the original 4.
The new boss was definitely the best boss in the game. I beat it a second time just for fun. I didn't like the final reward.
Having some basic technology-driven elements in the game was fine; but a motorcycle? Yeah no. Not in a Zelda game. Not to mention that it's basically just a slightly upgraded horse.

As far as completing the game... we have all new side quests and all new main quests done. Meaning all new items / armor acquired. Got many more chests... I do wish there was something in-game that would tell you when you got all the chests, or how many you have left. All I know is that we can warp around to a lot of different places now and not have the chest sensor go off in any direction; and it has a pretty big range.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:39:24 pm by GendoIkari »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2018, 12:30:58 pm »

Somebody please tell me I am not the only one that can’t stand Zelda’s voice acting. I am more than halfway through the game, and I see no saving grace.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2018, 12:43:23 pm »
+3

Zelda: "Link... The Blood Moon rises once again... Please be careful ... Link..."

Me: skip skip skip skip

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2018, 12:45:54 pm »

Incidentally I had never played a Zelda game previously, and loved BotW.  I love Kakariko Village.  I would totally live there.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2018, 01:00:14 pm »
+1

Incidentally I had never played a Zelda game previously, and loved BotW.  I love Kakariko Village.  I would totally live there.

And yet the game only lets you buy property in Hateno Village, sigh.

The Zelda location I would most want to live in is probably Skyloft from Skyward Sword, though.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2018, 04:04:05 pm »
+1

The Zelda location I would most want to live in is probably Skyloft from Skyward Sword, though.

I would be so scared of falling off for my entire life.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2018, 04:43:33 pm »

Seriously.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2018, 05:05:19 pm »

Well, considering you can just whistle for your Loftwing and/or just wait to be grabbed by the Hylian Guards, it's probably not all that bad.

Kinda reminds me of when you first reach Fonsett in Xenoblade 2. One character is shocked that all the kids are just running off a cliff and jumping into the clouds (swimming in clouds is a completely normal thing in XB2), while the main protagonist who grew up there is just like "yeah that's how we all learned to swim". Same deal with Skyloft. If you grew up on Skyloft, I think you'd be so used to it, the fear just wouldn't register.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 20 queries.