Miscellaneous > Other Games

Breath of the Wild

(1/28) > >>

GendoIkari:
Ok, so there's a Switch thread where this game has been discussed a little bit, but this really needs it's own thread. I know several people here are playing this, so let's discuss it! Please use spoiler tags for spoilers; preferably with a non-spoilered note that lets people know if that spoiler is safe for them or not.

I'll start by saying I'm really blown away by this game. I'm a big fan of all Zelda games; and I had some reservations when I heard about the open-world nature of this game. I like to "100%" Zelda games, so I was worried that this game wouldn't allow that, and would be more about playing as much as you wanted until you had enough. But that doesn't seem to be the case; there's at least a few different ways in which you can consider the game to be "100%" done eventually.

But everything from the game play to the story; it's just so fantastic. Every time I play, it's so hard to put it down for the night. There's always just one more thing I want to do before quitting. I find myself spending the days thinking about what I'm going to get to do that night when I play next.

So my own progress... some minor post-Hateno but before-any-dungeon spoilers:

I recovered my first memory, and just love the way the story is playing out. Slowly learning about the past the way you do is probably the best storytelling that's been in a Zelda game so far. And the fact that you can (presumably) get these memories in any order, says a lot about the nature of the storytelling. Started taking pictures of everything I can find; I love filling out the compendium. Though I do really wish there was a way to add a picture to the compendium without saving the photo in the album... periodically having to go through and delete all your useless photos, while avoiding accidentally deleting the ancient photos, is annoying.   But still spending more time just exploring than furthering the actual game. I love going to just random areas just to see what I find. Get so excited when I spot a new shrine, or activate a new tower.

Negatives.... hardly any. As mentioned before, the Wii U has a very annoying thing where the gamepad screen flashes the whole time; we literally had to cover it with post-it notes to stop the annoyance. And if you play with the pro-controller for increased comfort, you lose the motion controls. It annoys me that they would have made both the Wii U and Switch pro controllers compatible with both;  so it would just be "pro-controller" and "pro-controller+ with motion controls". Why do they need to be non-compatible??

Um, I don't like that outside chests respawn. Clearing all enemy camps could have been a fun 100% challenge. Then again, with the limited nature of weapons; they had to make sure that you couldn't end up in a theoretical state of weapons all being gone.

Not a fan of having to choose between hearts and stamina with each upgrade. Also related to my "completionist" nature; I want to get all the upgrades; not have to choose between them.

But hey, those are all minor complaints compared to the positives.

trivialknot:
I don't think chests respawn.  There are just a lot of chests.  I like to have my radar set to chests and then I just wander around opening them all.

If you look through the Wii U Home menu (the one that comes up when you press the home button), I think there's an option to turn the gamepad screen off.  I haven't tried it myself.

LastFootnote:

--- Quote from: GendoIkari on April 20, 2017, 11:17:33 am ---periodically having to go through and delete all your useless photos, while avoiding accidentally deleting the ancient photos, is annoying.
--- End quote ---

I'm fairly certain that it's impossible to delete the ancient photos. And I don't mind going back and deleting the other ones now that I've discovered the mass-delete function.

--- Quote from: GendoIkari on April 20, 2017, 11:17:33 am ---Not a fan of having to choose between hearts and stamina with each upgrade. Also related to my "completionist" nature; I want to get all the upgrades; not have to choose between them.
--- End quote ---

I'm also fairly certain that these both cap out. So if you always choose stamina, for example, your stamina meter will eventually max and you'll have to choose hearts instead.

GendoIkari:

--- Quote from: LastFootnote on April 20, 2017, 12:16:16 pm ---
--- Quote from: GendoIkari on April 20, 2017, 11:17:33 am ---periodically having to go through and delete all your useless photos, while avoiding accidentally deleting the ancient photos, is annoying.
--- End quote ---

I'm fairly certain that it's impossible to delete the ancient photos. And I don't mind going back and deleting the other ones now that I've discovered the mass-delete function.
--- End quote ---

I have not found such a function, that would help a lot! As for accidentally deleting Ancient Photos, maybe it was just story/flavor text, but when you first get them, you are told to be careful not to delete them because you can't get them back.

--- Quote ---
--- Quote from: GendoIkari on April 20, 2017, 11:17:33 am ---Not a fan of having to choose between hearts and stamina with each upgrade. Also related to my "completionist" nature; I want to get all the upgrades; not have to choose between them.
--- End quote ---
I'm also fairly certain that these both cap out. So if you always choose stamina, for example, your stamina meter will eventually max and you'll have to choose hearts instead.

--- End quote ---

From what I've read, they do both have caps, but you don't get enough upgrades to cap both; you have to choose one to be short. Though of course you can use food/potions to get the extra missing hearts from temp hearts. But moreso it's the decision you have to make throughout; I know I could have more stamina than I currently do, but only if I sacrifice life. That's just not the type of decision I enjoy; I'd prefer the game deal with that automatically; either by having both upgrade together, or by having different collections of things upgrade each. Just personal preference.

GendoIkari:

--- Quote from: trivialknot on April 20, 2017, 12:01:52 pm ---I don't think chests respawn.  There are just a lot of chests.  I like to have my radar set to chests and then I just wander around opening them all.

--- End quote ---

I read that they do, when looking up what all the blood moon does. But I haven't checked it myself.

--- Quote ---If you look through the Wii U Home menu (the one that comes up when you press the home button), I think there's an option to turn the gamepad screen off.  I haven't tried it myself.

--- End quote ---

Tried that... it's silly; it only turns off the screen until you touch a button on the game pad. I guess for people who are playing with a pro controller.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version