Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Inheritance and Colonnade  (Read 2748 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
Inheritance and Colonnade
« on: April 11, 2017, 11:26:52 am »
+3

If you have inherited something, have an Estate in play, and buy an Estate, do you get Colonnade points?

My understanding is that a card is considered yours while you buy it (hence inherited estates have on buy effects), and so the Estate you buy is an Action and you get Colonnade points.
I really don't see how anyone can have a different understanding of this, but many people seem to do, so I'm asking for official clarification.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Re: Inheritance and Colonnade
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 11:37:31 am »

Can you link to some resources / precedent suggesting on buy effects apply to Inherited Estates? I have never heard this before and this doesn't match my intuition. I'm sure it's correct but I've just never read about it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:40:43 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 11:40:08 am »

If you have inherited something, have an Estate in play, and buy an Estate, do you get Colonnade points?

My understanding is that a card is considered yours while you buy it (hence inherited estates have on buy effects), and so the Estate you buy is an Action and you get Colonnade points.
I really don't see how anyone can have a different understanding of this, but many people seem to do, so I'm asking for official clarification.

I am on your side, never even had this question in mind
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 11:45:55 am »

Can you link to some resources / precedent suggesting on buy effects apply to Inherited Estates? I have never heard this before and this doesn't match my intuition. I'm sure it's correct but I've just never read about it.

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Inheritance

It's explicitely mentioned by Donald in the Secret History on the bottom.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 12:11:55 pm »

The FAQ sets the precedent with...

"This also changes Estates you buy or otherwise gain during the game; if you used Inheritance on a Port and then later bought an Estate, that Estate would come with a Port, just as buying a Port gains you a Port."

This means that the Estate has become Port and an action as you are buying it.  If Port's on buy triggers, then so would Colonnade's.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 12:14:17 pm by ObtusePunubiris »

Loempiaverkoper

• Scout
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 07:01:07 am »

"This also changes Estates you buy or otherwise gain during the game; if you used Inheritance on a Port and then later bought an Estate, that Estate would come with a Port, just as buying a Port gains you a Port."

This means that the Estate has become Port and an action as you are buying it.  If Port's on buy triggers, then so would Colonnade's.

Can the Port you gain on buy be an Estate again?

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 07:01:51 am »
+4

Nope. Estate is still Estate, so it's not a Port. An Inherited Estate does not "become a Port", it remains an Estate that is now also an Action that does the same things Port does.

bug me on discord

they/them

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 09:56:59 am »

Nope. Estate is still Estate, so it's not a Port. An Inherited Estate does not "become a Port", it remains an Estate that is now also an Action that does the same things Port does.

My understanding is that when you buy/gain the estate, it gets the abilities and types of the card you inherited. If you have an inherited estate in play and you buy another estate, you would get collonade points imo.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 11:05:55 am »
+2

My understanding is that when you buy/gain the estate, it gets the abilities and types of the card you inherited. If you have an inherited estate in play and you buy another estate, you would get collonade points imo.

Yes, that's generally the consensus here. This doesn't mean you can use the Estate-Port's on gain effect to gain another Estate instead of another Port, which is what my quoted comment was responding to.

bug me on discord

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 03:33:14 pm »
+3

Bear in mind that while I'm pretty sure the Inheritance/Colonnade interaction works the way people are thinking it does, an Inherited Estate cannot be gained by things that gain Actions, like University.  So once you buy/gain it, it's an Action, but not before then.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.