Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fabled Fruit  (Read 2687 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Fabled Fruit
« on: April 04, 2017, 02:38:41 pm »
+2

Has anyone played this? It's a really neat game that takes the concepts of Pandemic/Risk Legacy, but simplifies it down a bunch, and doesn't cause permanent changes to the set.

Basically, it's a super-simple set-collection / worker placement game, where you start out with 4 each of 6 different cards available. When someone "purchases" a card (which is the game winning condition, to be the first to purchase a certain number of cards), it is replaced by the next card from the "legacy" deck.

So you start out playing with cards #1-6. Each time you play, you are playing with higher and higher numbers, up to #60 (I think). And, the further you go into the deck, you get new and more complex mechanics. The actual rules of the game never change, but the new cards provide their own new rules.

So it's kind of like playing a bunch of Dominion games, where you start with the recommended first game set from the base game; and then every time you play, you replace a few older cards with newer cards from later sets; until eventually you are playing a complex game of Adventures and Empires.

I've played a few games; but haven't done a "full campaign".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Fabled Fruit
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 03:33:20 pm »
+2

Has anyone played this?

I've played a few games

Looks like the answer to your question is "yes".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:57:09 pm »

I'm intrigued, and I have wished for a "legacy" game that wasn't so permanent. Granted, there are many games like that already, such as the Pathfinder card game.

I do like games with changing rules, though. I assume that when you buy a card, the rule is no longer in effect since it's no longer in the middle?

I'll read up on it.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 05:45:09 pm »
+1

It's all right, nothing to write home about.  I'd say that the tactical possibilities on any given turn are a bit low, having played with various cards up to 20.  That said, your "campaign" doesn't really have to be a campaign per se; it can be played with different groups at different times and have just as much fun.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 06:33:05 pm »

I'm intrigued, and I have wished for a "legacy" game that wasn't so permanent. Granted, there are many games like that already, such as the Pathfinder card game.

I do like games with changing rules, though. I assume that when you buy a card, the rule is no longer in effect since it's no longer in the middle?

I'll read up on it.

Well the rules that the cards introduce are really "what action you take when you choose this card". So no rules stop being in effect (if visiting a card gives you a token that does something, that token still does that thing after the card is gone), but you just wouldn't have the option to go to that card for that effect anymore.

So perhaps Agricola/Caverna would be a good comparison. With those, you get 1 new action space you can choose from each round. In Fabled Fruit, you get 1 new action space to choose from every 4 times someone buys a card, and you have action spaces that stop being choices when those cards are all bought. And then the campaign aspect; that you can start your next play session where you left off previously.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:35:19 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 03:14:50 pm »

On Monday I'll be starting a full campaign of this; all games with the same group of 5 people. There's full-campaign scoring rules. It will be interesting to see how that plays out; vs just playing a few random games from the middle of the set.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 10:36:54 am »

I agree to Kirian that it's not overflowing on tactical options. The cutest thing about it is that you're encountering something new every game. I think "campaign" makes it sound more exciting (and serious) than it is, but that might just be me.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 10:45:22 am »

I'm really enjoying the campaign; about halfway through. The interesting thing there is that you suddenly get new strategic levels that wouldn't exist in a single game...

One common thing is that you get to a point in a game where you know you aren't going to win. At this point it becomes all about avoiding last place (first place gets 2 points, last place gets 0, all others get 1).

But on top of that, because there's a lot of targeted attacking, when your move isn't going to affect your own place in the game anyway, you can try to ensure that your main competition in the larger campaign does worse. It's much more ok for the person who is in last place overall to get a point than it is for the person right on your tail.

Like, in a recent game, after all but a single turn had been taken, I was going to be in last place no matter what. But the person who still had a turn to take had a move which would bring another opponent down to tied with me for last (then we would both get 0). I saw and pointed out this move, and the active player realized that it was better to deprive an extra opponent of a point, so long as I was still getting 0 either way (as I am in the lead overall). So it's a heavy political game, like Catan in that way somewhat.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 07:29:02 pm »

Are those campaign rules official? It never occured to me to play the game that way. I'm not sure it suits me - to me Fabled Fruit seemed pretty lighthearted, and a scoring system like this one kinda destroys that.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 01:06:15 am »
+1

Are those campaign rules official? It never occured to me to play the game that way. I'm not sure it suits me - to me Fabled Fruit seemed pretty lighthearted, and a scoring system like this one kinda destroys that.

Yes, those are the official rules. There's also rules about loser goes first next game, like Dominion. Pretty sure the game even comes with scoring sheets designed to track it over the campaign.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 03:34:13 am »

I don't know: keeping scores and playing lightheartedly do not seem to exclude each other? :)

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 05:29:01 am »

I don't know: keeping scores and playing lightheartedly do not seem to exclude each other? :)

I guess my issue is that inter-game political considerations aren't exactly what I'd call "lighthearted". Probably I just don't enjoy them though. I was curious because I thought my game didn't include such a score suggestion. But after looking again, it does. There's no score sheet, though. That sheet's to track the cards if you play with several groups.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:30:10 am by Asper »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 10:01:45 am »

I guess my issue is that inter-game political considerations aren't exactly what I'd call "lighthearted". Probably I just don't enjoy them though. I was curious because I thought my game didn't include such a score suggestion. But after looking again, it does. There's no score sheet, though. That sheet's to track the cards if you play with several groups.

Well to me, the political nature is on-par with Catan and many other games such as Castles of Burgundy or Smallworld... sometimes you need to try to talk an opponent into doing a specific move, or tell them that if they do what they want to do, it will just hand someone else the game. That's still pretty light-hearted. Being across multiple games is only different if you don't think of the campaign as one long game.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 20 queries.