Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: herw's cards  (Read 27985 times)

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Re: Forrest Village
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2019, 11:50:08 pm »

I will see, which ideas Donald will have, when he tries to create a second version of Alchemy; if he will ever do. In the meantime i am experimenting with  my suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 10:05:32 am by herw »

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
Re: counter magic
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2019, 12:04:14 am »

About the main concept, an Attack that is also its defense: Any cursing attack is its own defense. Witch only can deal out a fixed number of Curses each game. A good way to keep them from going in your deck is just distributing them yourself. So every Witch IS her own counter spell. I know I'm raining on your parade a lot here right now, but I kinda feel you are trying to re-invent the wheel here. Sorry.
Maybe there are other non cursing Attack-cards in play?
Your idea is, that the first part shouldn't be an attack but something other action or separate both to two different cards; only Attack-card and the other only action-reaction card?
Well, I'm not saying I have a great idea to fix it. I'm just saying that if one or more Cursers are in the kingdom, you usually want one. Even if it's mostly to keep the number of Curses given to you at bay. So a card that Curses and defends against Cursers doesn' t create considerations that are all that different from a card that just Curses. Either way you need one to both defend your deck and attack the opponents'.
hm - thinking about two cards, or maybe same but non-cursor:

Drawing two cards is a big problem, because you could draw your entire deck, if you have enough Counter Magic cards and maybe even hit a reshuffle to play the same Reaction cards again. You should give the + cards at the start of the next turn.

They would basically be Laboratories then. It's not my main issue, though. My main issue is that with a sufficiently thin deck, you can gain infinite Villagers with this. As a matter of fact, this would be the case even if the card only drew one card.
ah, yes - i see the problem with +x cards +x villagers in reaction part. Would it help, to say (reaction part)
When another player plays an Attack you may set this aside for +2 cards and +1 villager. Discard this at the end of the turn.
So you can only react with Counter Magic once per turn?

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
Re: counter magic
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2019, 02:18:31 am »

About the main concept, an Attack that is also its defense: Any cursing attack is its own defense. Witch only can deal out a fixed number of Curses each game. A good way to keep them from going in your deck is just distributing them yourself. So every Witch IS her own counter spell. I know I'm raining on your parade a lot here right now, but I kinda feel you are trying to re-invent the wheel here. Sorry.
Maybe there are other non cursing Attack-cards in play?
Your idea is, that the first part shouldn't be an attack but something other action or separate both to two different cards; only Attack-card and the other only action-reaction card?
Well, I'm not saying I have a great idea to fix it. I'm just saying that if one or more Cursers are in the kingdom, you usually want one. Even if it's mostly to keep the number of Curses given to you at bay. So a card that Curses and defends against Cursers doesn' t create considerations that are all that different from a card that just Curses. Either way you need one to both defend your deck and attack the opponents'.
hm - thinking about two cards, or maybe same but non-cursor:

Drawing two cards is a big problem, because you could draw your entire deck, if you have enough Counter Magic cards and maybe even hit a reshuffle to play the same Reaction cards again. You should give the + cards at the start of the next turn.

They would basically be Laboratories then. It's not my main issue, though. My main issue is that with a sufficiently thin deck, you can gain infinite Villagers with this. As a matter of fact, this would be the case even if the card only drew one card.
ah, yes - i see the problem with +x cards +x villagers in reaction part. Would it help, to say (reaction part)
When another player plays an Attack you may set this aside for +2 cards and +1 villager. Discard this at the end of the turn.
So you can only react with Counter Magic once per turn?

What about:
Type Action – Duration – Reaction
+1 Villager
At the start of your next turn:
+2 Cards
You may trash a card from your hand.
-
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first play this from your hand for +1 Card.

This counters Sea Hag, Militia and some other attacks successfully.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:28:08 am by King Leon »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
Re: herw's cards
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2019, 04:40:08 am »

I will see, which ideas Donald will have, when he tries to create a second version of Alchemy; if he will ever do. In the meantime i am experimenting with  my suggestions.
I like this version and the Villagers buff is definitely good enough to make the card viable given that +1 Card +2 Villagers is most likely a $5.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
Traveller: Mythical Creatures
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2019, 03:22:30 am »

Mythical Creatures, a Traveller's line

first an overview. There is a new mecahnism. The last Card (Dryads) is a Traveller too. When playing it you have to exchange it atonce to another Traveller with lower costs, which means you jump back. You get the other Traveller to your hand. So you can play it in your actual turn too. The trick is to choose the right Traveller depending on actual situation. If there is another Traveler's line you can change to it too.
Another new thing is that you can choose from the lowest Traveller (Puck) to Wood Gnome or Mountain Troll.

You find a very long discussion here. First it was planed as an Alchemist's line (Puck: Gain a potion) but then i had the idea with mechanism of the Dryads. So here are the Mythical Creatures.

So here is the line:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 07:35:34 am by herw »

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2019, 04:28:02 am »

Franfeluche neefs more support, but Puck, Wood Gnome and Mountain Troll are all terminal. I also don't know if you really want to exchange Melusine to Dryads.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2019, 05:16:17 am »

Wait, herw, wasn't Dryads' exchange clause on play when you revealed it in the German forum? I think it read:

+1 Card
+2 Actions
Exchange this for a Traveller costing less, putting it in your hand.

Needless to say, this is terribly weak in comparison.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2019, 06:28:03 am »

Wait, herw, wasn't Dryads' exchange clause on play when you revealed it in the German forum? I think it read:

+1 Card
+2 Actions
Exchange this for a Traveller costing less, putting it in your hand.

Needless to say, this is terribly weak in comparison.
arggh, yes forgot to translate and lost it. I have to change Melusine too.
Sorry for the chaos.  :-[

have changed in last post too.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 07:19:41 am by herw »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2019, 07:20:25 am »

I see you made Franfeluche's VP conditional. I don't think it needs that. Sure it's strictly better than Monument once in your deck, but it's harder to get than Monument, too.

Same for Wood Gnome and Smithy.

I wrote this in the German forums already, but Melusine is too strong imo. If your plan is to make exchanging Dryads for a different previous Travellor a decision based on the situation, then I think this takes away that decision to some extend. Especially as you can exchange Melusine for Dryads ech time to get more out of it next turn.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2019, 07:37:07 am »

Franfeluche neefs more support, but Puck, Wood Gnome and Mountain Troll are all terminal. I also don't know if you really want to exchange Melusine to Dryads.
Please look at the mechanism of Dryads (sorry for the chaos of quick translation). The idea is to combine Dryads with a tricky exchange:
f.i. when you play Dryads and exchange to Wood Gnome you get overall +1 Card +1 Action +2 (+1) Cards. Or when you play Dryads and exchange to Melusine you get a card with +1 Card +1 Action +2 Coffers and you can exchange at the end of your turn again to Dryads and so on.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:08:35 am by herw »

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2019, 07:40:45 am »

Did Melusine just change? didn't it used to be  a cantrip?

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2019, 07:51:45 am »

Did Melusine just change? didn't it used to be  a cantrip?
If it would be a cantrip too and you play Dryads, exchange at once to Melusine, you would get overall +2 Cards +2 Actions +2 Coffers (!). So Melusine gives you only +2 Coffers but in combination with Dryads it is powerful enough: +1 Card +1 Action +2 Coffers.
But look to other combinations of Dryads + Traveller.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:45:24 am by herw »

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2019, 07:53:45 am »

Whats the gold backside for?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2019, 12:33:50 pm »

Just 2 Coffers is too weak again. That's worse than Butcher. I think it would be okay at +1 Card, +1 Action, +2$.

+1 Action, +2 Coffers would also be kinda weak, I think.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller Mythical Creatures
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2019, 08:08:14 am »
+1

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 08:10:01 am by herw »

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
herw's cards: Reagent
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2019, 10:29:07 am »

For alchemists and others ;)

edit: a better solution is in future post
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:12:51 am by herw »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2019, 01:16:02 pm »

I like this, but mainly for the Attack (which could be too strong). Virtual Potion is an often seen but bad idea due to Alchemist and Apothecary.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2019, 04:40:35 pm »

I like this, but mainly for the Attack (which could be too strong). Virtual Potion is an often seen but bad idea due to Alchemist and Apothecary.
hm - original potion is then virtual too?
Although reagent is not a basic card it is real as potion card is. Both are treasure cards.
I agree that i have to think about strength of „+1 copper”. So you think that reagent has to low costs.
What about „every other player gains a copper to his hand?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 04:45:31 pm by herw »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2019, 05:05:44 pm »

Although reagent is not a basic card it is real as potion card is. Both are treasure cards.
You don‘t seem to realize that Reagent does not interact with Apothecary and Alchemist. Which was my only point and which is the main reason to not do virtual Potion, i.e. any card that produces P without being P.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2019, 12:40:15 am »

You don‘t seem to realize that Reagent does not interact with Apothecary and Alchemist. Which was my only point and which is the main reason to not do virtual Potion, i.e. any card that produces P without being P.

ah - yes you are right. It is the similar problem (joke!) if you don't buy silver but a merchant ;) .
Main criticism against Alchemy from Dominion-fans is, that the „valuta” potion is necessary for buying most alchemy-cards. Apothecary and Alchemist need a potion card for working right or worth its cost.

If i would be Donald and want to create cards with virtual potion i would change Apothecary's and Alchemist's instructions like „ ... Put the Coppers, Potions and cards with virtual potions into your hand. ...”  (much too strong) and „ ... When you discard this from play, you may put this on top of your deck if you have a Potion or virtual potion in play.”
But that is annoying.
As there are other vanila-potion-cards in my mind like Forrest Village or Bewitched Town there has to be a simple solution.
1st: give some potion-coin. But do you really like any potion-coins? And they should be there only for one turn without changing the idea.
2nd: a rule addition: „If you play a card with +Potion it is like a „potion in play” ”, which is right for Alchemist. But Apothecary? : A card with vanilla +Potion is a potion card? not nice.

So you need a potion card in your deck.

There are two possibilities:

1st: add in Reagent's instruction: „Choose one: $2 or $P or gain a treasure with costs up to $4. ... ”. So it is more attractive to buy a reagant than a potion-card. Such a card has to cost $6 - hm - isn't it better to buy Gold? Perhaps cost of $5 + 1 debt?  or $4 + 2 debts? (!!)
2nd: As Reagant is (as you mentioned) too strong, then you can set its cost to $1+$P. So you have a potion in your deck.

I like both.They are simple and ensure that you can have a potion card in your deck quickly. 1st is more common with games without any other alchemy cards (means here with potion in cost). But remember: Donald suggests three Alchemy-cars minimum.

any better suggestions?

ceterum censeo: Donald has to think about alchemy-mechanism again so that all dominion player will like it. May the potion with him ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 04:39:51 am by herw »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2019, 09:26:49 am »

I don't like the new version, it is all over the place with weird Debt costs and Treasure hand gaining (be careful with that, Sculptor is the obvious benchmark of a non-terminal Silver hand-gainer).
Why don't you stick with the old one and either ignore the virtual Potion issue or simply do a Silver for $5 that junks Coppers?

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2019, 12:33:26 am »

I don't like the new version, it is all over the place with weird Debt costs and Treasure hand gaining (be careful with that, Sculptor is the obvious benchmark of a non-terminal Silver hand-gainer).
Why don't you stick with the old one and either ignore the virtual Potion issue or simply do a Silver for $5 that junks Coppers?

First i have to say that i like the idea of alchemy on principle. I think Donald had a fine idea but wasn't really lucky about it. If you read his secret history you get this impression because he mentioned that the cards of Alchemy had several cards which he has „stolen” for other expansions.
So with Reagent i want to create a card which gives a more powerful start into buying cards with potion-costs.

You wrote that you like the idea of Reagent but there was an issue with Apothecary and Alchemist because they work only fine if there is a potion in your deck.
So with the instruction „gain a treasure card with cost up to $4” i can solve the problem not to buy a potion. You can gain (!) a potion (treasure with cost $4) if you want and Reagent is attractive attack too.
Now about the cost. As Reagent is powerful, the cost have to be $5 or $6 eventually more (?). Sculptor has cost of $5 but only the instruction, to gain a card up to $4. Reagent is more a potion-gainer in opposite to Sculptor because Reagent should be part of an Alchemy-kingdom and it gains to your hand (!) too. So you can use the potion-card at once.
So $6 would be right. But the idea is to start into alchemy cards quickly. So with costs of $4+2debts you can buy Reagent in your first two turns.
On the other side spending coppers slows the game. But alchemy has nice possibilites: Apothecary and Philosophers stone (!) work with them well or if you don't like a large deck, there are two trashers in it (Apprentice and Transmute or from other expansions).
So i want to expand the idea of Alchemy which you don't see in other expansions.
Virtual potions accelerates the game with alchemy especially when you use these fine (tested) basic victory cards (game ends when County supply pile is empty too):

You have to see all these alchemy-cards with an eye on my other alchemy cards:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 06:15:04 am by herw »

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2020, 12:56:00 pm »

Dark Path, an intersting travellers line: negative victory points but much money. The last card is the trick.

PS 2020-02-02: changed the name Breath to Atman
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 01:58:53 am by herw »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2020, 12:44:09 pm »

Why have Breath worth VP? Is it just a consolation if you get it so late that you never draw it? As a whole, I feel like the VP penalty on these cards won't do very much. It will only matter when you press your luck once too often and the game ends before you thought it would. Most of the time you should have a pretty good feel for whether you are going to draw the card again this game or not. If you think you are; you keep Loophole. Otherwise you exchange Loophole.

Also, having Curse type on Dark Path is confusing. It makes it so that all the existing cards that refer to "Curse" now are ambiguous as to whether they mean the name or the type. Not sure if you intended to have that type on the other treasures also.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2020, 02:01:51 pm »

Also, having Curse type on Dark Path is confusing. It makes it so that all the existing cards that refer to "Curse" now are ambiguous as to whether they mean the name or the type. Not sure if you intended to have that type on the other treasures also.

iirc, this was herw's entry in WDC51 (Curses) and they replaced the stock curses.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.