Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: herw's cards  (Read 27987 times)

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Re: herw's cards
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 07:17:11 am »

Basic Cards for Alchemy:

an old idea and a long time discussed in German Dominion Forum

It is a risc to create a new basic card especially with potion in cost. The principality needs only a silver and a potion to buy, a duchy more. But you have to have a potion on hand, which means you have to buy one and you don't get it often if you only buy one. So i decided to give more victory points.
But Bewitched Town ...

...helps a lot.

A county with same victory points is like a province and a counter part so it is logic to give the same 6 victory points. If you lag with provinces especially at the end of the game, you have the chance to get 6 victory points without decreasing the province pile.
It is a good decision to have 3 treasure difference to principals as usual (dutch vs province).

So it is a good idea to add these basic cards to an Alchemy game without removing duchies and provinces.
I think you should choose a few Alchemy kingdom cards too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:40:33 am by herw »

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 07:57:16 am »

Basic Cards for Alchemy:

an old idea and a long time discussed in German Dominion Forum

It is a risc to create a new basic card especially with potion in cost. The principality needs only a silver and a potion to buy, a duchy more. But you have to have a potion on hand, which means you have to buy one and you don't get it often if you only buy one. So i decided to give more victory points.
But Bewitched Town ...

...helps a lot.

A county with same victory points is like a province and a counter part so it is logic to give the same 6 victory points. If you lag with provinces especially at the end of the game, you have the chance to get 6 victory points without decreasing the province pile.
It is a good decision to have 3 treasure difference to principals as usual (dutch vs province).

So it is a good idea to add these basic cards to an Alchemy game without removing duchies and provinces.
I think you should choose a few Alchemy kingdom cards too.
There should be treasures that cost also. Names could be "Lead" or "Quicksilver" It would make sense because Colony goes with Platinum, Province to Gold, Duchy to Silver, Estate to Gold.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 10:12:29 am »

[...]
There should be treasures that cost also. Names could be "Lead" or "Quicksilver" It would make sense because Colony goes with Platinum, Province to Gold, Duchy to Silver, Estate to Gold.

yes ;)

or

I don't know whether it is compliant to rules, because trashing and gaining are actions.
Trashing (and changing) is one of the main theme of Alchemy i think.
But it is very difficult to create a balanced treasure and i wouldn't buy more than one money changer? Have to think about it.

I am not satisfied with this because money changer is no basic treasure card. I think Potion fulfils this.
So money changer is more an action card but there have to be better variable features but not with so much text.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:38:02 pm by herw »

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 02:00:15 am »

Antimony

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 02:44:15 am by herw »

Shard of Honor

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Shard of Honor
  • Respect: +199
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 04:52:06 am »
+1

Antimony

I feel like there should be a limit to it's scaling.
Alchemy simply has too much Potion costing chainable cards. Imagine deck full of Apothecary, Scrying Pool, University, Alchemist and Familiar.

Maybe different named card in play with in its cost?
You might want to check out my own fan-card creations, built with this.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2019, 05:58:20 am »

Antimony

Alchemy simply has too much Potion costing chainable cards. Imagine deck full of Apothecary, Scrying Pool, University, Alchemist and Familiar.

yes, but in case Antimony is the only card with potion in its cost? So then there has to be a little bonus f.i. +1 buy? Then it is a woodcutter as treasure played.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 06:29:38 am by herw »

Shard of Honor

• Thief
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 07:18:06 am »
+1

Antimony

yes, but in case Antimony is the only card with potion in its cost? So then there has to be a little bonus f.i. +1 buy? Then it is a woodcutter as treasure played.

I like that version more  ;)
Not sure though in strength comparison with Philosopher's Stone, especially in Alchemy heavy games...

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2019, 07:26:22 am »

Antimony

I like that version more  ;)
Not sure though in strength comparison with Philosopher's Stone, especially in Alchemy heavy games...

We can discuss endless about it. I will print this version with my new basic victory cards and others. So i will see.
Thanks for your tipps.

BTW why aren't you active in German Dominion Forum (non native speaker?).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 07:28:02 am by herw »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2019, 07:28:33 am »

It reminds me a lot of the version of Fool's Gold that Donald described in his secret history of Hinterlands. For the original version, I felt it was okay, if perhaps a bit boring. Making it count only differently named cards will make it basically useless in most games it's in.

Shard of Honor

• Thief
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 08:07:38 am »
+1

Decided one forum is enough for me to start and english is more universal. But sometimes, I'm also reading in the german forum.

Thanks for your tipps.
Glad I could help a little. But my remarks are just my personal opinion lacking real experience in designing cards.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2019, 11:58:59 am »

Decided one forum is enough for me to start and english is more universal. But sometimes, I'm also reading in the german forum.

Thanks for your tipps.
Glad I could help a little. But my remarks are just my personal opinion lacking real experience in designing cards.
i will try both versions.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
Tradeswoman
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2019, 02:51:50 am »

Tradeswoman helps Big Money strategy:

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
Day Labourer
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2019, 06:46:55 am »

Day Labourer

very flexible
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 07:07:54 am by herw »

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
Lucky Penny
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2019, 09:28:42 am »

For those, who missed luck sadly ;)

only one throw but there is the crown ...  :-*

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
Re: Day Labourer
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2019, 09:31:47 am »

Day Labourer

very flexible
There should be a specific number fo villagers to exchange for coffers.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2019, 09:50:32 am »

Day Labourer

very flexible
1 coffer per 1 villager:
If you have f.i. 3 villagers, your choice:
1 villager to 1 coffer, 2 villagers to 2 Coffers or 3 Villagers to 3 coffers.
This should be in my Dominion manual ;)
I don't like too much text. I think it is clear.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:53:00 am by herw »

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2019, 09:56:40 am »

It reminds me a lot of the version of Fool's Gold that Donald described in his secret history of Hinterlands. For the original version, I felt it was okay, if perhaps a bit boring. Making it count only differently named cards will make it basically useless in most games it's in.

yes, i choosed the older version

perhaps i should  limit to +$2 or +$3?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 10:02:16 am by herw »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2019, 07:11:03 pm »

Wording suggestions:

Antimony: "+ 1$ per card you have in play that has P in its cost."
Day Laborer: +1 Card and +3 Villagers should both be capitalized. "At the start of your Buy phase, you may call this, to spend any number of your Villagers for +1 Coffer each."
The word "Silver" on Tradeswoman should also be capitalized.

About Lucky Penny, it's the strictly better Silver for 4$ that Donald tried to avoid for so long, and also I feel it could reveal and discard cards from your deck instead of rolling a die. So I'd probably change it to be something like:

Councellor, Action, 4$
+2$
Reveal and discard the top 5 cards of your deck. If there are no duplicates, +2$.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
Re: lucky penny
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2019, 01:17:01 am »

[...]
About Lucky Penny, it's the strictly better Silver for 4$ that Donald tried to avoid for so long, and also I feel it could reveal and discard cards from your deck instead of rolling a die. So I'd probably change it to be something like:

Councellor, Action, 4$
+2$
Reveal and discard the top 5 cards of your deck. If there are no duplicates, +2$.
rolling a dice:  so the probability is 1/6 per lucky penny you play to get +$3. It is only luck. And yes revealing and discarding is in the sense of a DOMINION-routine. The probability of revealing, discarding and getting no duplicates (Councillor) changes and increases to the end game (interesting). But 5 cards and no duplicates? The probabiilty is low in the endgame too. Rolling a dice has constant probability.
BTW Lucky Penny is more a joke ;) when playing with my grandson. Perhaps i am using a „normal” serious version of Councillor and the other for lucky days :) . I like the golden penny at the picture.

Thanks for wording suggestions, will change the text. When translating from German to English i am using always British English ;)
There are several job titles: Councillor, Councilor, Counsellor, Counselor
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 06:41:20 am by herw »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2019, 05:50:37 am »

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that in an engine, the chance is higher than 1/6. At least speaking from my testing experience with Sawmill (my thread). I guess it makes a big difference that Sawmill gains cards, though. Anyhow I have managed to get 6 with that card, too.
Edit: Also it should be noted that the discarding speeds up your deck cycling, meaning you will see your new cards sooner (or miss them, I guess). But generally speaking, that's good for you.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 06:00:35 am by Asper »

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
Re: lucky penny
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2019, 06:40:49 am »

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that in an engine, the chance is higher than 1/6. [...]
I mean the chance, that you play lucky penny and throw the cube. This is a chance of 1/6 to get $5 instead of $2.
I think you meant the chance when revealing 5 different cards in an engine? Hm i don't have much experiences with engines. F.i. a simple engine have mostly three different action cards (+ cards, +2 actions, +$), mostly not much treasure. If there are some different cantrips, ok seems to be a good chance.
I think i will test both versions and will report.

Indeed are revealing and discarding a nice additional feature although you get only $2. Yes, the more i think about it the more i like it.
I think i call it Lucky Thaler (german: Glücksthaler). I like the old (german) spelling Thaler.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 07:32:46 am by herw »

Shard of Honor

• Thief
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2019, 12:01:44 pm »
+1

Day Labourer

Exchanging Villagers to Coffers is a cool idea, that I haven't seen before!

But wouldn't you always call this and exchange at least one villager to keep the card in your deck for the next shuffle?
I don't see the point of leaving it on your tavern mat.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2019, 12:25:13 pm »

Day Labourer

very flexible
1 coffer per 1 villager:
If you have f.i. 3 villagers, your choice:
1 villager to 1 coffer, 2 villagers to 2 Coffers or 3 Villagers to 3 coffers.
This should be in my Dominion manual ;)
I don't like too much text. I think it is clear.

I had assumed it was 1 for 1, but I couldn't tell from the wording if you could choose to exchange any number of them, or if you had to turn all of your villagers into coffers.

I think Asper's wording is clearer/better.

It's a neat card, though it could lead to some analysis paralysis. I'm not sure it's strong enough for . A common use case would be to treat it like +1 Card, +1 Action, +2 Coffers; except you don't get the Coffers until after this buy phase. If you could call it at the start of your buy phase, instead of at the end, then it would be stronger, but probably not too strong for .
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Shard of Honor

• Thief
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2019, 12:34:35 pm »
+1

Me too.

It's a neat card, though it could lead to some analysis paralysis. I'm not sure it's strong enough for . A common use case would be to treat it like +1 Card, +1 Action, +2 Coffers; except you don't get the Coffers until after this buy phase. If you could call it at the start of your buy phase, instead of at the end, then it would be stronger, but probably not too strong for .

But it does say at the start of your buy phase?

Depending on your current hand, it can also act as a village. But it might still be okay at .

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2019, 01:38:22 pm »

Me too.

But it does say at the start of your buy phase?

Depending on your current hand, it can also act as a village. But it might still be okay at .

Weird, I read it twice to be sure when posting this, and still saw “end of your buy phase” somehow.

So yeah, it’s rare that you wouldn’t call this the same turn you play it, but seems neat.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.