Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 44  All

Author Topic: Newbie Mafia 10: Return of the Super Awesome Flavor Names (!!!) Mafia-Town Wins!  (Read 163843 times)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile

oh incidentally, e, iirc you've said in the past that you're at your best when you're defending yourself from a bunch of people but unfortunately your predecessor was uh very likely town

I won't complain about being an IC
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
    • View Profile

oh another thing
I always defend Jake and he flips scum, so maybe if I don't defend him he will flip town?
you uh weren't in any of jake's three scum games
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile

With apologies to Awaclus for disagreeing on what's generally good collaborative play, here's where I'm at with everything so far, based on reading things this evening:

kkrieg (13 game posts) -- inexperienced, but putting reads out there. No red lights yet, and didn't flail or get defensive when LL voted for her, which is a sort of cool that's tough to fake. Probable town, though I acknowledge a built-in bias where I'd rather keep newbies in a newbie game at least past D1.

LL (50 game posts) -- more prolific than I'd realised. Seems like his helpful self in terms of trying to diffuse RR's joke in a contained way. I think the brief kkrieg vote was townie.

Awaclus (13 game posts) -- is very Awaclus. His playstyle gives very little away in terms of leaving room for scumslips, but the fact he's been talking in paragraphs occasionally is encouraging. Town side of the heap.

Space (19 game posts) -- spaaaaaaace :-)

TWM (47 game posts) -- engaging a lot. Seems to have a thing against schadd that extends into meta rather than scumreads maybe? Also seems to be pretty conscious of how he's seen (e.g. at #208), which is something I'm scumread for from time to time, but he seems to be doing okay with it. What were his previous games? Background reading/revision is in order if he's actually a ninja scum player, because he's giving off a pretty townie vibe to me.

IDP/e (3 posts from e, 17 from IDP) -- leaning townish for meta reasons, though I think schadd's narrative makes that look more cut-and-dried that it is. Need to keep an eye on e.

Jake (24 game posts) -- Getting a little flustered by votes on him in a way that I think is similar to that recent blitz game, where he was the high-value scum target, but managed to stay under the radar during the majority of the conversation. OTOH, I like that his playstyle has gotten so much better lately, and I tend to scumread people pretty hard for pushing him based on his earlier play, which kind of biases me to the point where he's a nullish read here for now.

schadd (70 game posts) -- dominating the game in terms of posts, though maybe only about 3/4 of them make sense fully. Even then, that's a pretty high level of engagement. He's certainly been saying a lot of helpful stuff that's the kind of thing I'd have posted if I wasn't so distracted by getting older and stuff. Comes off a bit scummier in a targeted re-read, actually. Things like pushing TWM for the use of "probably" and complaining about Jake not responding to something that wasn't initially a question.. unless I'm mis-reading/misunderstanidng schadd there? Mild scum.

RR (25 game posts) -- The joke was not good, now is the fact that immediately afterwards he specifically drew attention to the implications of what might happen with other town PRs he could have outed (#53). I feel like it's well within RR's general meta, but I get so frustrated at that kind of "it was all a joke" play :-(
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile

Doesn't this contradict your attitude to my suggestions earlier?

Sorry TWM! Completely wasn't paying attention to this earlier... I'll go back and try to work out which thing you're talking about now.
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

JaketheBaseballGod22

• Steward
    • View Profile

oh another thing
I always defend Jake and he flips scum, so maybe if I don't defend him he will flip town?
Maybe he oh idk READ ONE.
Baseball For Life
Mafia Record Overall (6-14) 30%

Town Wins (4-11) 26.7% M88L, M89L, NM9L, M91L, M95L, M97L,NM10W, RMM41L, M100L, M103L, M105W, M107W, RMM45W, M109L, RMM46L

Scum Wins (2-3) 40% M87L, M94W, ZM23L, M99L, ZM24W

MVP's: None

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile

Doesn't this contradict your attitude to my suggestions earlier?

Sorry TWM! Completely wasn't paying attention to this earlier... I'll go back and try to work out which thing you're talking about now.

Actually, it would be really helpful if you could point me at what you mean with a post number or a quote. Sorry if I'm just being dozy :-(

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile

Also, Space, sorry for voting you on your birthday! Worst gift ever!

Also just remembered about this while looking for the other thing :-) No hard feelings... you'd've had to do something several orders of magnitude worse to bring my awesome day down even a teeny tiny bit :-P

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

What were his previous games? Background reading/revision is in order if he's actually a ninja scum player, because he's giving off a pretty townie vibe to me.
M91, M96; scum mvp both times

Things like pushing TWM for the use of "probably"
i didn't push twm, and i actually kind of dropped it because picking apart wording is something i've done a lot in the past and it hasn't worked out very well. my thinking was that if he thought proposing that my argument for idptg was scummy, then he would be able to call me scummy for it rather than starting at a scummy feeling of me and guessing at the cause. but that's a rather weak point, esp. considering i haven't seen how he thinks as town (and incidentally he is kind of an overexplainer as scum, so maybe it further doesn't make sense)

complaining about Jake not responding to something that wasn't initially a question.. unless I'm mis-reading/misunderstanidng schadd there?
it wasn't a question, but it was something suspicious i pointed out and i thought it was implicit that i wanted him to explain it. his reasoning for being suspicious of me was "he seems towny here except he often gets mislynched early" and i pointed out why that was misleading; he later voted me and changed that to "i find him towny but i have not found him towny in games where he was town."  i noted that he hadn't been in any games where we were both town, and i assumed he was either misremembering something and would want to reevaluate somehow (after all, in isolation he would think i'm town) or would be able to tell what specific game he had as a reference point so we could talk about it. he didn't do either of those, and when i hounded him for some response he noted that it wasn't a question but then gave exactly the response i would have expected him to give.

there was, incidentally, another thing in that post, that was much more intuitive to respond to:
Do I have to give my reads on everybody because if so 75% of the names would just have null next to them.
uh. how about give the reads for the ones that aren't null then

oh another thing
that's not what is implied by the word "defend." you can't defend people if you are reading a game (and i looked at the speccies, where he didn't defend jake either)

primarily i felt it wouldn't be fair if i only pointed it out in jake's case
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile

oh another thing
that's not what is implied by the word "defend." you can't defend people if you are reading a game (and i looked at the speccies, where he didn't defend jake either)

Darn it.. the only reason I'm not voting for you right now is that I forgot to attach a vote to my reads post, where clearly you were approximately my highest scum read an hour ago, and now you pull out a towny thing. It's a good point that e should probably address, if it is indeed true that they've not both been town in the same game. Going as far as checking the QTs attached to the games is something I had considered in a "naah, that's way too time consuming" sort of way.

In other news, why have " and @ swapped places on my keyboard all of a sudden? This is worrying and disconcerting.

unvote, since Awaclus is clearly not the best place for my vote to be just now.

kkrieg

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: kkrieg
    • View Profile

Vote: LaLight
100% win rate at RLM

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile

oh another thing

hmm.  That is interesting.  Maybe I was just in the speccy thinking he is town when he flipped scum. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

Going as far as checking the QTs attached to the games is something I had considered in a "naah, that's way too time consuming" sort of way.
well it took like 5 minutes. plus i already remembered he wasn't active in the zm23 one because i was, in turn, very active in it

there's sort of a question of whether it's a good idea for town to refute people's reasons for townreading them. it's been true as long as there's been rhetoric that appearing uninvested in whether good things happen to you is a great way to get good things to happen to you (see: augustus) but, like, i could have just let you townread me, which would be all well and good (and i think the point you used to do so is the sort of point you find to be most reliable. but that might just be because i kind of think of you and calamitas as the same person). sometimes you can use it to scumhunt as well (for example, in my first game on MS, a scummo hard townread me for something silly i said in RVS and a secret other reason he didn't want to publicize; i was thusly pocketed like a social security card in the rain) but i think it is rather reasonable to make that assessment if you don't meta-dive as often as i do. plus, changing one's read based on changes in information rather than changes in circumstance is rather townie to begin with

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

kkrieg

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: kkrieg
    • View Profile

Vote: LaLight
why now?

Just reviewed who's voting for who/player interactions (and my RR vote wasn't going anywhere fast).
100% win rate at RLM

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile

there's sort of a question of whether it's a good idea for town to refute people's reasons for townreading them. it's been true as long as there's been rhetoric that appearing uninvested in whether good things happen to you is a great way to get good things to happen to you (see: augustus) but, like, i could have just let you townread me, which would be all well and good (and i think the point you used to do so is the sort of point you find to be most reliable. but that might just be because i kind of think of you and calamitas as the same person). sometimes you can use it to scumhunt as well (for example, in my first game on MS, a scummo hard townread me for something silly i said in RVS and a secret other reason he didn't want to publicize; i was thusly pocketed like a social security card in the rain) but i think it is rather reasonable to make that assessment if you don't meta-dive as often as i do. plus, changing one's read based on changes in information rather than changes in circumstance is rather townie to begin with

My following of this paragraph is a bit tenuous, but I think you're saying you're all set to scumread me if I'm not actually Calamitas. Unfortunately for my standing in this game, but probably very fortunately for many other reasons, I'm actually not Calamitas. TBH, I think if him as a mini-silverspawn. They both have nice orderly brains I can see my way round, though... unlike certain other players here ;-)

In all seriousness, I'd just somehow forgotten about the e situation with the Jake-scumminess when I was thinking both about him and about you in my re-read, because when I read the relevant parts, I pushed it onto the heap as a thing that would be good to follow through on once I'd answered whatever was currently at the top of the pile, and then forgotten about it.

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

but I think you're saying you're all set to scumread me if I'm not actually Calamitas.
uh, no, this is not in fact my plan

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile

but I think you're saying you're all set to scumread me if I'm not actually Calamitas.

Okay, good!

Vote: e

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

Okay, good!

Vote: e
for the defending jake thing?

JaketheBaseballGod22

• Steward
    • View Profile

oh another thing

hmm.  That is interesting.  Maybe I was just in the speccy thinking he is town when he flipped scum.
I doubt it because my first game as scum (my first game in general) M87 the town figured out I was scum like 1/4 of the way through D1 so I doubt that this applies there, my next scum game M94 was impossible for this to be true because it was a flawless scum win so no flips, ZM23 was almost the same as M87 where by the end of D1 all three scum were trying to bus each other (to no avail) so I doubt it was true there so where does this apply?
Baseball For Life

Town Wins (4-11) 26.7% M88L, M89L, NM9L, M91L, M95L, M97L,NM10W, RMM41L, M100L, M103L, M105W, M107W, RMM45W, M109L, RMM46L

JaketheBaseballGod22

• Steward
    • View Profile

oh another thing

I doubt it because my first game as scum (my first game in general) M87 the town figured out I was scum like 1/4 of the way through D1 so I doubt that this applies there, my next scum game M94 was impossible for this to be true because it was a flawless scum win so no flips, ZM23 was almost the same as M87 where by the end of D1 all three scum were trying to bus each other (to no avail) so I doubt it was true there so where does this apply?
I mean thanks for defending me but  that was just bad.
Baseball For Life

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

oh another thing

I mean thanks for defending me but  that was just bad.
wrong quote?

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

oh wait, like, another thing to add. nvm

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

dunno about e but i use "flipped scum" to be synonymous with "ended up being scum." and i mean you always flip at the end of the game in the "scum wins" post
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.