Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 44  All

Author Topic: Newbie Mafia 10: Return of the Super Awesome Flavor Names (!!!) Mafia-Town Wins!  (Read 163889 times)

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: IDontPlayThisGame
    • View Profile

IDPTG-I don't buy the schadd stuff there, probably hence why I find schadd scummy.

Is this directed at me or your read of me?

I don't buy schadd's read of you based off you leaving/not leaving. I don't have much of an actual read on you otherwise.

Just wanted to check. After that mention, I'm going to ignore it. I think involving it in the rest of the game sets a really bad precedent and it's already a semi-problematic rules situation.

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile

Anyway, I've slightly bitten off more than I can chew in terms of game commitments just now, which is why I'm not so setuppy in this one yet.

I get that there's stuff we can look at since it's a semi-open set-up, but what do we have to gain from looking at it just yet?

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
    • View Profile

oh wait also
IDPTG-I don't buy the schadd stuff there, probably hence why I find schadd scummy.
you used "probably" to describe where your own reads came from?
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

JaketheBaseballGod22

• Steward
    • View Profile

? lol should we all just start talking in different langues now?
hi! do you have a response to my one thing?
Quelle Chose? (what thing?)
Baseball For Life
Mafia Record Overall (6-14) 30%

Town Wins (4-11) 26.7% M88L, M89L, NM9L, M91L, M95L, M97L,NM10W, RMM41L, M100L, M103L, M105W, M107W, RMM45W, M109L, RMM46L

Scum Wins (2-3) 40% M87L, M94W, ZM23L, M99L, ZM24W

MVP's: None

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

I always read you as scummy when your town
we haven't been in any games together where we were both town, nor were you spectating any of my town games
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile

I hope that wasn't google translate.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile

Anyway, I've slightly bitten off more than I can chew in terms of game commitments just now, which is why I'm not so setuppy in this one yet.

I get that there's stuff we can look at since it's a semi-open set-up, but what do we have to gain from looking at it just yet?

There can be really useful strategies that help us out a lot, but aren't really obvious without kicking ideas about the set-up around. I'm very much a collaborative thinker it that sort of respect, so I like it when actual set-up discussions happen :-) Also, even in a non-newbie game, I like to be sure that basic town-favourable play ideas are out there stated in the thread, because it could be useful for less mechanics-driven/less experienced players. I know there's a small chance that it helps scum to see the town exploits, but I've given up worrying about that too much, because in general, scum have multiple brains churning over this stuff and a chance to discuss it all in private anyway, so we stand a better chance if we pool our thinking a bit too, even if we can only do it where they can see.

To make it clearer what I mean, the Worms RMM was a beautiful game that town burned it badly because we couldn't get ourselves together enough to exploit the mechanic I was trying to suggest... annoyingly, one of the big rivalries in that game was me and 2.7, and we were both town! I scumread him really hard for blocking my clever plan :-P With a standard setup like Matrix6, there's not going to be anything as exploitable, and we don't need to do much wheel-reinventing, given that this setup comes from mafiascum.

Anyway, it may especially be the case in a newbie game that it would be helpful for us to toss some ideas out there about how to play the various roles, in general enough terms that the scums can't benefit from knowing, but detailed enough that it's a lot more informative than reading info on mafiascum, since we can tailor it to each of our six possible game configurations. I know the first time I played most roles, I've thought it would be great to have someone to give me a big of guidance... First time being a vig felt like a horrible responsibility, and I wrote so much in my QT to justify my kills, because I was scared the whole of town would feel let down if I did something wrong.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TWM
    • View Profile

oh wait also

Yes. That is factually correct.
Wins: M91, M96, NM10, M98, M102, M105
Losses: M100, M103, M104, M109, M112

MVPs: M91, M96
Win percentage: 54.5 (6/11)

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
    • View Profile

There can be really useful strategies that help us out a lot, but aren't really obvious without kicking ideas about the set-up around. I'm very much a collaborative thinker it that sort of respect, so I like it when actual set-up discussions happen :-) Also, even in a non-newbie game, I like to be sure that basic town-favourable play ideas are out there stated in the thread, because it could be useful for less mechanics-driven/less experienced players. I know there's a small chance that it helps scum to see the town exploits, but I've given up worrying about that too much, because in general, scum have multiple brains churning over this stuff and a chance to discuss it all in private anyway, so we stand a better chance if we pool our thinking a bit too, even if we can only do it where they can see.

Doesn't this contradict your attitude to my suggestions earlier?

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile

@Space- I'm definitely interested in that kind of discussion, but I'm not sure how to start it. I mainly look at just the numbers which is trivial in this case.

JaketheBaseballGod22

• Steward
    • View Profile

Never. Interesting fact my french teacher taught me. Google translate actually has many of its foreign words wrong but people who use google translate don't know what the word is so people end up using the wrong words. Lesson here DON'T USE GOOGLE TRANSLATE. so no I didn't use google translate.
Baseball For Life

Town Wins (4-11) 26.7% M88L, M89L, NM9L, M91L, M95L, M97L,NM10W, RMM41L, M100L, M103L, M105W, M107W, RMM45W, M109L, RMM46L

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile

Never. Interesting fact my french teacher taught me. Google translate actually has many of its foreign words wrong but people who use google translate don't know what the word is so people end up using the wrong words. Lesson here DON'T USE GOOGLE TRANSLATE. so no I didn't use google translate.

My point is that if we're playing the "not English" game, no one is allowed to use translation services.

JaketheBaseballGod22

• Steward
    • View Profile

My point is that if we're playing the "not English" game, no one is allowed to use translation services.
I would rather do the English game but everyone keeps using cryptic language.
Baseball For Life

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

uh, simple advices for each role

cop: in short, the goal is to get a guilty result on someone. if you do, this is really helpful for town. there are a few things, though, that make this not really black and white:
-in theory, you would actually want to cop someone whom you think has a 50% chance of being scum, maximizing how informative the result is; if there happens to be someone you are absolutely sure is scum for whatever reason, copping them doesn't actually tell you much. in this case you are, uh, allowed to fake a guilty result but most people would say this is ill-advised.
-it is also helpful to cop someone whom you think is difficult to read - in this game, i would think this is TWM (he has had quite good results as scum, twice) and some people may also think this is me, space or awaclus.
-make use of your results when you get them, and you don't even need to claim to do this. experienced scum players will probably be able to sniff you out as the cop if you suddenly get a big change of heart and much more confident one Day, but at the same time if you don't defend town results/attack scum results you aren't making full use of the role (and it is also helpful for towns to try to figure out your result if you get killed.)

doc: heal whomever will probably get killed in the night; this usually means strong town players or widely townread players (or claimed PRs, though this is a bit more obvious). you will probably want to lay low and not attract too much attention; there isn't much you can do during the day that will help you be more effective with this role, and you don't want to get nightkilled.

tracker: you are essentially the cop, except you will only be able to find one of the two scum, and they get to choose who it is. this means you will usually want to track your biggest scumread that other people think is town (and you may want to lampshade who this is - note that claiming tracker will usually make you obvious town if the need arises.) if you see someone target someone that doesn't die, they are the doctor. do not out who they are, and claim that day. remember that it gives definitive results once one scum dies.

1-shot bulletproof: i don't really know what to do as this. you are essentially an IC, and intuitively one that scum doesn't really care to kill, except that it can only gain town a mislynch in the jk/bp/rb setup (if no-one dies at night in the bp-tracker setup, that doesn't actually change how many times town can mislynch someone before we lose). so, claim when you get to l-1 and then sit pretty once that happens.

jailkeeper: this one is also really difficult. i would say, follow the advice of either doc or tracker (whichever is more relevant to your reads/the state of the game); remember that you might have been roleblocked.

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

i guess not, then?

oh wait also

uh, ok

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile

if you see someone target someone that doesn't die, they are the doctor. do not out who they are, and claim that day. remember that it gives definitive results once one scum dies.

Whatever you're trying to say here, it got a bit garbled!

If the person you track targets someone who doesn't die, but someone else does die, then the person you tracked is the doctor (in this setup only; that doesn't generalize!).

If the person you track targets someone and nobody dies, then your target could either be the doctor or the scum attempting to make the NK. It would be a superbly bad idea to townread the scum accidentally!

Where were you going with the thing about definitive results? I'm not sure if that's you not making sense or my brain not thinking through enough, given how late it is. I'm 83 minutes into my birthday already. G'night all!
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile

Happy Birthday Space!

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

if you see someone target someone that doesn't die, they are the doctor. do not out who they are, and claim that day. remember that it gives definitive results once one scum dies.

1 Whatever you're trying to say here, it got a bit garbled!

If the person you track targets someone who doesn't die, but someone else does die, then the person you tracked is the doctor (2 in this setup only; that doesn't generalize!).

3 If the person you track targets someone and nobody dies, then your target could either be the doctor or the scum attempting to make the NK. It would be a superbly bad idea to townread the scum accidentally!

4 Where were you going with the thing about definitive results? I'm not sure if that's you not making sense or my brain not thinking through enough, given how late it is. I'm 83 minutes into my birthday already. G'night all!
1. i should have made a line break before the last sentence
2. yes, if you mean matrix6 only
3. meant to note that, thanks
4. better wording would be "if a scum is lynched, you essentially become a cop" since you don't doubt a "{person} did not visit anyone" result to mean "innocent" considering there isn't a scumpartner to have done the kill instead

Happy Birthday Space!

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
    • View Profile

oh wait also

uh, ok
If you say so.

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

do you see why that's weird to me, though?

kkrieg

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: kkrieg
    • View Profile

Basically, two townreads (kkrieg and Awaclus) with a bunch of nullish reads.

I agree - Awalcus seems town
100% win rate at RLM

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
    • View Profile

do you see why that's weird to me, though?
Nope.

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
    • View Profile

Just read Space. Hasn't had a single post {please correct me if I am wrong, it is a bit late and I am a bit dopey I will freely admit} that was scum hunting oriented. But still had a lot of posts that had a "I am helpful so don't suspect me" vibe.

I saw that you stated that you would get more into that aspect of the game on Sunday, which I get and respect that you have been busy. But on the flip side, I am seeing now that I am town, one of my roles {Awaclus would probably disagree, but they can have their own playstyle} is to give out reads and hunt so that others can more easily read me. And from what I have seen of you that is also a descriptor I would assign to you.

So. vote: Space

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile

I have about 20% confidence in my reads at this point, but here they are:

RR is town - so too probably is Jake. Awaclus as well. They are all ones I want to find scummy, but am not for what that is worth.

schadd feels slightly scummy to me.

kkrieg seems to be doing fine. So null there, but that is to be expected.

That leaves Lalight and Space and honestly, you two are kinda of combining together a bit. I feel like I remember more from LA and it was townie enough, so I guess that leaves Space as being somewhat more suspicious. But not enough to make me want to vote or anything like that. Just how I am remembering at this specific moment.

so, it's 80% that Jake/RR/Awa are scums, schadd is slightly townie, kkrieg is... erm... not null and you buy the schadd stuff on IDPTG?

On a serious note, me and Space are really good friends so we kinda combine together (if I understood correctly what you meant).
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile

RR is town - so too probably is Jake.
elabor8 pls

RR and J R 2 playas dat R ez 2 C as badz. 1st time playin w/ dem, they R ez 2 make look like badz. RR and J R same here.

Please, do not do this again. I woke up 15 minutes ago and nearly broke my head trying to read this
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 20 queries.