Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44  All

Author Topic: Newbie Mafia 10: Return of the Super Awesome Flavor Names (!!!) Mafia-Town Wins!  (Read 163935 times)

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: IDontPlayThisGame
    • View Profile

Feel like I should be commenting more, but not totally sure I have anything to add right now....

That's me every game I'm in. Don't worry about it. I'll give you the same advice you were just given and that (initially) I was trying to follow: just say things.

uh. who unto heck is replacing out?

I don't know procedure for this, but unfortunately that would be me. Hence why I've (largely) stopped posting. It sucks because I was really looking forward to NM10, but I'm not currently able to continue playing.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
    • View Profile

I don't know procedure for this, but unfortunately that would be me. Hence why I've (largely) stopped posting. It sucks because I was really looking forward to NM10, but I'm not currently able to continue playing.
aw pud. in the future, i don't think newbie games would be that big a deal for you - it looks like you get setups pretty well already, so matrix6 isn't that big a deal, so 9p is the more important thing for staying on top of a game, and uh i will probably be rerunning schadd7 in the near future
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

town: awaclus, rr
towbn: space, twm, idp
hmmmm: jake, kk
fortunately i have other things than tone read now (though i haven't checked if the thing is a scumtell yet): lalight
twm is maybe at townwbun
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile

aw pud. in the future, i don't think newbie games would be that big a deal for you - it looks like you get setups pretty well already, so matrix6 isn't that big a deal, so 9p is the more important thing for staying on top of a game

I get the probability behind set-ups and have a habit of trying to nit-pick the set-up posts for information which has yet to work out very well. Aside from mechanics, I haven't figured out the interactions that stem from given PRs potentially being in a game. I wanted to play more NM games since people are more open to helping and seeing cluelessness as genuine rather than as a newb!scum tactic.

near future

Ha. You're funny.

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

since people are more open to helping and seeing cluelessness as genuine rather than as a newb!scum tactic.
yes i remember doing that

fwiw i had a hard time not townreading this thing

near future

Ha. You're funny.
:c

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TWM
    • View Profile

fortunately i have other things than tone read now (though i haven't checked if the thing is a scumtell yet): lalight
twm is maybe at townwbun

So many letters.
Wins: M91, M96, NM10, M98, M102, M105
Losses: M100, M103, M104, M109, M112

MVPs: M91, M96
Win percentage: 54.5 (6/11)

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

oh incidentally somebody remind me to add a rule next time i'm modding that you can't talk in thread once you apply to replace out, unless you're rescinding the apply. the way that people talk when they suddenly don't have a wincon anymore is rather revealing. i would have a hard time believing this:
It sucks because I was really looking forward to NM10, but I'm not currently able to continue playing.
comes from scum, because i don't think he would at all look forward to being scum.

awaclus, keep not talking if you agree

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile

oh incidentally somebody remind me to add a rule next time i'm modding that you can't talk in thread once you apply to replace out, unless you're rescinding the apply. the way that people talk when they suddenly don't have a wincon anymore is rather revealing. i would have a hard time believing this:
It sucks because I was really looking forward to NM10, but I'm not currently able to continue playing.
comes from scum, because i don't think he would at all look forward to being scum.

Yeah, that's why I wasn't saying much. Also, it's against the rules to stay in a game after a(n) /out request. As for looking forward to NM10 (from M96):

I have trouble finding things to talk about. My plan was to wait until after NM10 to play normal games, but NM10 doesn't seem to be happening.

kkrieg

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: kkrieg
    • View Profile

twm is maybe at townwbun

Agreed. Had to read this one like 4 times.

So many letters.
100% win rate at RLM

kkrieg

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: kkrieg
    • View Profile

Quote fail. Embarrassing. Never quoting again.

twm is maybe at townwbun

So many letters.

Agreed. Had to read this one like 4 times.
100% win rate at RLM

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile

And that actually is where you might be wrong. He was never scum, he might've look forward to being it.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile

lalight: usually has a very high post count and participates in a large amount of the games that happen here. he's rather charismatic and tends to get townread a lot as both alignments. i have trouble figuring out his oftentimes, i think because he isn't a native english speaker (so i rarely get a good tone read on him)

That's.. sad. I thought I know english well enough to have no problems with people trying to break through walls of my mistakes. Self esteem doowwn.

well, ugh, okay schadd seems town. That reminds me me in my very first newbie game being helpful and stuff and being scumread for that. So town on schadd, town on SA, null on Awaclus (schadd, where your townread on him came from at all?), dunno about kk

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile

Feel like I should be commenting more, but not totally sure I have anything to add right now....

That's me every game I'm in. Don't worry about it. I'll give you the same advice you were just given and that (initially) I was trying to follow: just say things.

Tell you both a secret, I am still sometimes feeling this.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile

That's.. sad. I thought I know english well enough to have no problems with people trying to break through walls of my mistakes. Self esteem doowwn.

Aw, chin up my friend! From the looks of things, more people are struggling with schadd's (native!) English than with yours so far in this game :-P
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile

Aw, chin up my friend! From the looks of things, more people are struggling with schadd's (native!) English than with yours so far in this game :-P

Aw, thanks!

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile

spaceanemone: math PhD (don't remember what in, specifically) and tends to talk in depth about the concrete and mechanical aspects of the game (often this means setup stuff, but that will likely not be all that relevant this game), and is thus often difficult to read (since many of their posts are rather impersonal). they haven't been doing this as much in recent memory but that might just be because the games i remember were less setuppy.

Most of this is fair, but I feel the need to point out that I'm no mathematician! My doctorate was on the borders of engineering and computer science, and most actual maths people (like Haddock) find me much too applied for their interesting theoretical conversations.

Am I really "rather impersonal"? I don't think I think of myself that way, but I'm not good at not being in my own head. I use emoticons (which got me scum-read a lot at first for ridiculous reasons) and everything.. I thought that was quite me-ish and therefore person-y :-)

And on the topic of early game play for kkrieg et al, I also find it hard to know what to say! I find it worse in games where there are more people all saying stuff, and now that I've had a bit of practice, a smaller game like this is pretty manageable. It gets easier as the game progresses because there are fewer people and they've all said more things, so reads tend to coalesce more easily. Or because you get lynched/NKd off, so you just have to hope that everyone else nails the scums for you because there's nothing more you can do about it.

I used to get quite upset about being taken out of a game early, but if you're a VT (vanilla townie), it's actually net positive to be an NK (night kill), because scum aren't going to NK themselves (at least not in simple games like this), so acting in a way that gets the scums to want you dead rather than a possible PR is not the worst thing that can happen. It took me a long while here to accept that... it didn't help me that the mafia-like Werewolf version I've played a lot IRL had modified wincons so that you only won if you were alive at the end, so I'm still more death-averse than I should be, though I think I'm much better than I used to be!
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile

let's see where vote: kkrieg is going

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TWM
    • View Profile

I am liking a Vote: lalight
Wins: M91, M96, NM10, M98, M102, M105
Losses: M100, M103, M104, M109, M112

MVPs: M91, M96
Win percentage: 54.5 (6/11)

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

Quote fail. Embarrassing. Never quoting again.
i don't think there exists a player on site that has quote failed fewer that 7m times

And that actually is where you might be wrong. He was never scum, he might've look forward to being it.
it's a judgement call and i would ask that he not answer because it's already weird rules ground, but i think newbie games make town play simpler more so than scum play; the fact that there's only 9 people and 2 baddies necessitates scum be more active since it's a lot harder to not be noticed. plus, i think he'd be a lot more interested in town play, and i did tell him that being scum assists town play but still

lalight: usually has a very high post count and participates in a large amount of the games that happen here. he's rather charismatic and tends to get townread a lot as both alignments. i have trouble figuring out his oftentimes, i think because he isn't a native english speaker (so i rarely get a good tone read on him)

well, ugh, okay schadd seems town. That reminds me me in my very first newbie game being helpful and stuff and being scumread for that. So town on schadd, town on SA, null on Awaclus (schadd, where your townread on him came from at all?), dunno about kk
it's not that i don't understand what you're saying (i do, about as clear as anyone else) but since your vernacular is slightly different than people that learned english growing up (like myself and most everyone i talk to) my innate sense of what's fake doesn't work as well

Most of this is fair, but I feel the need to point out that I'm no mathematician! My doctorate was on the borders of engineering and computer science, and most actual maths people (like Haddock) find me much too applied for their interesting theoretical conversations.

Am I really "rather impersonal"? I don't think I think of myself that way, but I'm not good at not being in my own head. I use emoticons (which got me scum-read a lot at first for ridiculous reasons) and everything.. I thought that was quite me-ish and therefore person-y :-)
hrm. for whatever reason i remembered you being more math/stats, though that might just be how academia works

sorry, not impersonal in presentation but impersonal with respect to where your reads come from (i.e. often setup spec & concrete town/anti-town rather than impressions of people), which is in turn most of where our reads of you should come from

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile

it's a judgement call and i would ask that he not answer because it's already weird rules ground, but i think newbie games make town play simpler more so than scum play; the fact that there's only 9 people and 2 baddies necessitates scum be more active since it's a lot harder to not be noticed. plus, i think he'd be a lot more interested in town play, and i did tell him that being scum assists town play but still

Well, yeah. i just think we shouldn't treat his placeholder as IC. Let's not talk about this more until someone appears.

it's not that i don't understand what you're saying (i do, about as clear as anyone else) but since your vernacular is slightly different than people that learned english growing up (like myself and most everyone i talk to) my innate sense of what's fake doesn't work as well

That's actually bad. Because I would prefer you seeing I'm not faking things. But okay, my self-esteem is back on its level :)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile

I know that it's not eligible to prod Awaclus now, but 4 posts, counting /in?
@schadd, where is you townread coming from?

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile

sorry meant to answer this

i am townreading him for scumreading rr's town play. yes, you read that right

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile

ugh, I guess?

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile

Just interested, why do you not townread me for the same thing? Are... you... biased?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

That's right.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 20 queries.