Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Sauna/Silver or Other Opening  (Read 8658 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Sauna/Silver or Other Opening
« on: March 30, 2017, 05:36:10 pm »
+5

Out of all the new cards to come out, one thing is for certain, Sauna/Avanto is crazy powerful. However, I wonder if the community truly understands when to properly buy cards from this pile. Sauna/Silver is a very popular opening and seems a foregone conclusion in most games, but is this correct opening on most boards?

What I've noticed is that losing the Sauna split is not as bad as losing the Avanto split. The player to get 3 Avantos has a huge advantage over the player who has 3 Saunas but 2 Avantos. So, to me, it would seem that you would want to position yourself to actually win the Avanto split even if that means just getting 2 Saunas. Getting 1 Sauna really sucks though.

Silver/Silver while will likely mean you might lose the Sauna split will mean later on you will have more buying power and also more trashing power. Hitting 5 becomes easier. Also, it might be worth noting what other engine pieces are on the board, most notably things that give +Buy. Opening Silver and a +Buy component might be better than going for a Sauna. Also, if strong trashing is on the board and good villages and draw, you might want to ask if it is worth pursuing Sauna/Avantos after all. For instance Wharf is crazy good and if Junk Dealer or Chapel is on the board, it might be worth considering skipping the Sauna/Avanto pile.

Anyway, I'm not so much trying to give advice as to figure out myself what is the best strategy on Sauna/Avanto boards. Thoughts?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Sauna/Silver or Other Opening
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 05:48:36 pm »
+1

It just depends on the trashing. If there's better trashing for less than $5, you want to open that a lot of the time, but otherwise you'll probably just open Sauna/Silver in most cases. Cantrip trashing is bretty good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 08:02:06 pm »
+3

I think which split is more important depends on whether there are good villages on board, too.  I'd rather have 3 Saunas and 2 Avantos than the reverse if there's the chance of playing 3 other terminals.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 01:35:35 pm »
+2

Sauna/Silver is a very good opening because having two Saunas + two Silvers on the beginning of T5 is really good (if the engine relies on Sauna/Avanto)
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 02:19:02 pm »
+1

Sauna/Silver is a medium strength opening. If Sauna/Avanto is the only engine on the board, it's usually worth going for.

If there's another engine, sometimes you play that and contest Saunas and Avantos at inconvenient times (for the Sauna player)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 02:38:51 pm »
+1

Mildly related, apparently Sauna/Avanto is available on BGG again.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 03:10:07 pm »
+1

I feel like Sauna / Silver is a bit like double Urchin in the way that its good but swingy.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 03:13:56 pm »
+2

Puzzle: open Sauna/Avanto.

I didn't work it out but I assume it's possible. EDIT: of course it's possible if you have enough players, it only gets difficult if you have to do it with 2.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 03:20:54 pm »
+1

I didn't work it out but I assume it's possible. EDIT: of course it's possible if you have enough players, it only gets difficult if you have to do it with 2.

Easy enough with Messenger, but you have to be the 2nd player, and it has to be a Baker/Borrow board.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 03:21:12 pm »

Advance.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 03:46:52 pm »

Advance.

That doesn't work, unless you're talking about some complex thing where Advance helps with it. Advance can't gain you a card that's not on top of a split pile. And also, you wouldn't have any action card in hand to trash.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 03:54:41 pm »
+7

Advance.

That doesn't work, unless you're talking about some complex thing where Advance helps with it. Advance can't gain you a card that's not on top of a split pile. And also, you wouldn't have any action card in hand to trash.

Player 1, Turn 1: Borrow and Baker token to buy traveling fair, advance a necropolis into a topdecked Fortress, Alms a Squire to the top of the deck.
Player 2: Hits $5, Stonemason overpay 4 (Baker token) to get two Sauna
Player 1: Draws Squire Fortress Copper Copper, plays Squire for the +Buy, buys Borrow then 2X Tfair to get to 5 buys, Advance 5x to get 3 Sauna 2 Avanto.

Fun times! You can probably do this without Alms, actually...
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 04:36:58 pm »
+4

Technically, Chris is me's solution opens Squire/Fortress/Sauna/Sauna/Sauna/Avanto/Avanto.  But good enough, and only requires 4 Events!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 09:35:09 am »
+24

Bump because this had been bothering me:

P1T1: play CCCC, TFair, Advance Necro to Fortress topdeck, just straight up buy the Squire and topdeck
P2T1: 4C, buy Sauna
P1T2: Draw CCCSquireFortress, Squire for Buy, 2X TFair 5X Advance Fortress into Sauna / Avanto
P2T2: Advance Necro into Avanto

Not only does this solution only use two Events without even Baker, the second player opens only Sauna / Avanto as requested. :)

bug me on discord

they/them

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 05:24:07 pm »
+1

That is just insane

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 02:32:27 pm »
+2

Sauna/Silver is a medium strength opening. If Sauna/Avanto is the only engine on the board, it's usually worth going for.

If there's another engine, sometimes you play that and contest Saunas and Avantos at inconvenient times (for the Sauna player)

I've been on the other end of this. It seems there are times where being the only one interested in Sauna/Avanto is enough to make it less viable than the alternative engine(s).

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 01:17:50 am »

Which is a generally better opener -- Silver/Sauna, or Silver/Engineer?  The latter gives you a slightly lower chance of thinning on second shuffle, but also (I feel) gives you a slightly higher chance of winning the Sauna split.  Just won such a game handily going Silver/Engineer while opponent went Silver/Sauna.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 09:55:24 am »

Which is a generally better opener -- Silver/Sauna, or Silver/Engineer?  The latter gives you a slightly lower chance of thinning on second shuffle, but also (I feel) gives you a slightly higher chance of winning the Sauna split.  Just won such a game handily going Silver/Engineer while opponent went Silver/Sauna.

I'd much prefer double Engineer to Silver / Engineer here.

bug me on discord

they/them

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 02:58:21 pm »

Probably Sauna/Engineer is best?

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 04:56:46 pm »

Curious .. in a hypothetical Kingdom with only Sauna/Avanto and Ambassador, which is a better opening -- Silver/Sauna or Amb/Amb? How much would it depend on the Silver/Sauna trashing early, Ambassadors colliding, etc.? Or maybe open Amb/Sauna? Played a game recently where I lost handily when I opened Amb/Amb and opponent opened Silver/Sauna (can't remember other Kingdom cards, but I think they weren't very powerful nor particularly engine-friendly).

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 05:25:24 pm »

Ambassador seems better if:
  • There are helpful $2 cards.
  • There are villages.
Sauna + Silver seems better if:
  • There are powerful $5 cards you want to get early.
  • Sauna + Avanto is the only good way to draw or play multiple terminals.
It probably doesn't make sense to open double Ambassador if you know your opponent is skipping Ambassador (and other early junkers).  So, Ambassador + Silver could be correct if the other key cards in the kingdom are at $3 and/or $5.  Sauna + Ambassador seems weird to me.  I'm not sure when I would open with that.

Edit: If there are no other kingdom cards, you should not open Ambassador.  Ambassador requires some kind of support.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:27:13 pm by aku_chi »

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 06:43:28 pm »
+5

My strategy advice for sauna: All in or nothing

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 04:52:42 pm »
+1

Ambassador seems better if:
  • There are helpful $2 cards.
  • There are villages.
Sauna + Silver seems better if:
  • There are powerful $5 cards you want to get early.
  • Sauna + Avanto is the only good way to draw or play multiple terminals.
It probably doesn't make sense to open double Ambassador if you know your opponent is skipping Ambassador (and other early junkers).  So, Ambassador + Silver could be correct if the other key cards in the kingdom are at $3 and/or $5.  Sauna + Ambassador seems weird to me.  I'm not sure when I would open with that.

Edit: If there are no other kingdom cards, you should not open Ambassador.  Ambassador requires some kind of support.

Ok so I'm not still not convinced. I've played 4 games of Sauna vs. Ambassador; Sauna/Silver has won handily twice and Amb/Amb has won handily twice. None of the 4 games were close. I don't remember what the other kingdom cards were in the first 3 games but in the fourth game, there were pretty good support cards -- Port, Warehouse. But I wouldn't think these would particularly be game-changing in making a difference. Amb won that one by a landslide. I really think so much of it comes down to early shuffles: Sauna and Silver colliding and/or Ambassadors colliding.

As an aside: Sauna is becoming one of my top-5 least favorite cards because, much like Swindler, Urchin, etc., the game can be decided very early on from just luck, which I don't think is fun.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:55:07 pm by Dingan »

KingPeter

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: KingPeter
  • When in doubt, engine
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 06:54:07 pm »

It's also worth questioning how fast to buy Sauna when things like Baker, Alms, or Borrow are on the board.

I feel like on a Baker start, opening double Sauna isn't the best, since it doesn't get trashing going at all and doesn't increase buying power.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 07:07:03 pm »
+2

It's also worth questioning how fast to buy Sauna when things like Baker, Alms, or Borrow are on the board.

I feel like on a Baker start, opening double Sauna isn't the best, since it doesn't get trashing going at all and doesn't increase buying power.

Under most circumstances, I think that Sauna/Silver is the opening and save the coin for when you don't hit 4/5.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.