Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Sauna/Silver or Other Opening  (Read 8665 times)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Sauna/Silver or Other Opening
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 11:18:08 am »

To my experience the reliable connection between Saunas and Silvers comes into effect with Avantos in the deck. My corollary is that a Sauna/Avanto strategy is faster when it is contested.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 11:52:51 am »

Out of all the new cards to come out, one thing is for certain, Sauna/Avanto is crazy powerful. However, I wonder if the community truly understands when to properly buy cards from this pile. Sauna/Silver is a very popular opening and seems a foregone conclusion in most games, but is this correct opening on most boards?

What I've noticed is that losing the Sauna split is not as bad as losing the Avanto split. The player to get 3 Avantos has a huge advantage over the player who has 3 Saunas but 2 Avantos. So, to me, it would seem that you would want to position yourself to actually win the Avanto split even if that means just getting 2 Saunas. Getting 1 Sauna really sucks though.

Silver/Silver while will likely mean you might lose the Sauna split will mean later on you will have more buying power and also more trashing power. Hitting 5 becomes easier. Also, it might be worth noting what other engine pieces are on the board, most notably things that give +Buy. Opening Silver and a +Buy component might be better than going for a Sauna. Also, if strong trashing is on the board and good villages and draw, you might want to ask if it is worth pursuing Sauna/Avantos after all. For instance Wharf is crazy good and if Junk Dealer or Chapel is on the board, it might be worth considering skipping the Sauna/Avanto pile.

Anyway, I'm not so much trying to give advice as to figure out myself what is the best strategy on Sauna/Avanto boards. Thoughts?

I think you need more saunas than avantos because avantos are just smithys without saunas. Saunas give one action even if you don't play an avanto. With the opening, I say that if there are any good kingdom cards that cost three, I would open with that kingdom card and sauna. Otherwise, I would open with silver and sauna.
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 02:01:44 pm »

I think you need more saunas than avantos because avantos are just smithys without saunas. Saunas give one action even if you don't play an avanto.

Playing the Sauna also uses up one action so it doesn't do anything aside from the trashing unless you play an Avanto with it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 03:30:29 pm »
+1

Plus 3 of the only 5 “just Smithys” on a board is huge...
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 07:23:43 pm »

But then your paying one extra for a smithy! That is a RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.

Skumpy

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: skumpy
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 07:58:31 pm »
+9

Oh boy. You've got a lot of learning ahead of you.
He is (and take this in a positive light Skumpy) eccentric, flamboyant and excessive at times. His posts are ones that cause people to look at him and say "huh?"

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 03:09:30 am »

I think you need more saunas than avantos because avantos are just smithys without saunas. Saunas give one action even if you don't play an avanto. With the opening, I say that if there are any good kingdom cards that cost three, I would open with that kingdom card and sauna. Otherwise, I would open with silver and sauna.

As Awaclus said, they don't net an action (unless chained). The thing is that you are more likely to have the continuation in hand after Avanto-Sauna-Avanto than you have after Sauna-Avanto-Sauna, which is the main reason why I'd rate the split of 3 Avantoes, 2 Saunas over the reverse.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 08:25:14 am »
+2

Obviously if the board has both Avanto, Smithy, and a different kind of Village, it’s probably not that urgent to get more Avantos than your opponent. But most boards aren’t like that!

If you’ve declined to buy a Smithy you need just because you have $5 instead of $4, you’ve got a bit of learning to do. There’s a lot to this game, and concepts of using the full value of your money are not nearly as important as you would think.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 20 queries.