Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Faeria  (Read 4133 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
Faeria
« on: March 28, 2017, 02:55:31 am »

I started playing Faeria, it's similar in some ways to Hearthstone or Magic, but you build a board as you play. Anyone else play it here? It's pretty fun and free to play. There's deck building, a hex based board with land placement that's pretty interesting both strategically and tactically, mana carries over turn to turn, there's 4 different flavours of card type. There's a reasonably active, but small community online.

https://www.faeria.com/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Faeria
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 08:32:49 am »

It's okay. I like the board thing, but I'm finding it hard to tell what cards I should put in my deck.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:44:23 am »

I played it some time ago, finished the free adventures, and played some pvp. It's fun, and the board concept is actually really clever, but I found some of the cheap high rarity cards to be too dominating (Aurora anyone?)
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:43:44 pm »
+1

I played it some time ago, finished the free adventures, and played some pvp. It's fun, and the board concept is actually really clever, but I found some of the cheap high rarity cards to be too dominating (Aurora anyone?)

The board building part of it is definitely the neatest part. On your comment of balance, I think they're still finding it and there's some nerfs/buffs to come before it gets there. I actually have only seen Aurora once so I'm not sure if she's quite as prominent as she used to be.

It's okay. I like the board thing, but I'm finding it hard to tell what cards I should put in my deck.

I don't totally know the answer to this at this point, but it depends on the flavour you're going for. If controlly you probably want taunts, removal, some creatures with good stats and a few little guys to start the game and get faeria. If you're rushing you just want things that get you resources while attacking your opponent and removal/burn.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 03:42:30 pm »

I really only played Green, with some shy attempts at other colours that didn't end too well (was fun, just not effective).

Seedlings are good, so are tiki caretakers and Bloomsprites for early game farming, which you should be doing since green is better the longer the game goes. Wood elementals are auto includes. Tiki totem and Overgrown tower are good if you can fit them in your deck. Deepwood Grizzly is solid, so is Wild Growth. Sagami Grovecaller wins games, simple as that.

Other than that, depends on what you want your deck to do. For example, stacking Spirits of Rebirth is brutal, but you sort of need to build a deck around their synergies. Then there's the cards that need a lot of Forests, and that will eventually win you the game just from sheer value.

Also, Dash, and especially Jump, are really strong keywords.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 03:37:23 am »

Yeah, I think at this point if you don't have many cards neutral isn't terrible to slot in with whatever good ones you have from a single colouar. Neutral minions mostly have average stats and you can play them with anything so it rewards being able to play the game as opposed to having the best cards. At higher levels it isn't as useable, but in the early stages Neutral + 1 color seems to be okay.

Red cards seem good for the removal and Green seems good for the big minions if you're working towards an easy to play deck. Blue and Yellow seem like the "advanced" colours where you need more game knowledge and more complete sets to make them work at high levels.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 05:07:46 pm »
+2

I started playing Faeria, it's similar in some ways to Hearthstone or Magic, but you build a board as you play. Anyone else play it here? It's pretty fun and free to play. There's deck building, a hex based board with land placement that's pretty interesting both strategically and tactically, mana carries over turn to turn, there's 4 different flavours of card type. There's a reasonably active, but small community online.

https://www.faeria.com/
Everything in OP improved my interest level even though you had me at the third character of the title

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 08:15:56 pm »
+1

My first practice arena run was 3-0 and my first real arena run was 9-1 so I think this game rewards a lot of fundamentals somehow, even though sometimes you'd think it doesn't.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 06:18:26 pm »

My first practice arena run was 3-0 and my first real arena run was 9-1 so I think this game rewards a lot of fundamentals somehow, even though sometimes you'd think it doesn't.

I too have noticed that there seem to be a lot of people who like to play the game who have bad game sense. My first Pandora run was also a 9-1 affair (which is nice for the rewards). In constructed I've made a relatively straight forward Blue-Green deck that relies on synergies and haven't had much trouble ladder climbing (rank 18 and still haven't lost a game). I don't want to sound arrogant, but I think we might be more experienced at board games than the average person who picks up Faeria. I'm assuming a bit about you Pops, but I assume you play games other than Dominion a fair amount?

If someone comes from Hearthstone/Magic they don't tend to have the same understanding of positioning. If they come from just board games you don't have the same understanding of deck building/resource management. Seems ideal to be someone who comes from both for this game.

Edit: Lol I said this and my constructed ranked streak immediately ended to someone with a very similar deck to my own who outplayed me.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:43:21 pm by Jorbles »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 12:51:56 am »
+1

I play a lot of MtG, Hearthstone, Netrunner, and yeah I've been to lots of board game meetups but some people have been to even more.  The heavier influence would seem to be drafting magic decks and drafting Hearthstone decks.

I see a lot of people rushing center when they don't actually have rushy enough pressure in hand, not finding ways to trade up...  just not minmaxing in general.  I don't think the game rewards board positioning the way chess does, but I think having a board at all kind of adds this "worker placement" element that traditional board games will teach you if you're paying attention.  You want to put durdly creatures on the mana mines, unless they have a combat opportunity to trade up to switch to.. kinda like worker placement.

But also, there's a lot of the ticket-to-ride affect of "guys the basic draw action is really good I'm telling ya", it seems underused by my opponents.  You sometimes overwork your mana with it but are still totally fine with that because card selection can so easily accrue to 1 or 2 mana of value.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 01:18:30 pm »
+1

Anyone playing the Fall of Everlife Expansion? I'm currently using a Yak deck with some green thrown in (Bone Collectors, Tiki Caretakers, etc.) The synergy between them seems trivial at first, but one you get into action they fair surprisingly well.

In case anyone doesn't know. The resource system has been completely overhauled. The game is now Pay-to-play, but if you already have the game you aren't charged anything. Quests now grant 2 chests each, and you may craft any common, rare, or epic card every 6 hours. (Keeping up to 6 crafts in reserve) Legendary cards are uncraftable and can only be opened from chests. Oversky expansion is now free.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 02:35:56 pm »

The game is now Pay-to-play, but if you already have the game you aren't charged anything.

? Does this include people playing from the browser, back in the day?

I enjoyed the game, but the rate at which I got new cards was too slow. If you get new stuff faster now, I might consider going back into it.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 11:42:01 am »
+1

The game is now Pay-to-play, but if you already have the game you aren't charged anything.

? Does this include people playing from the browser, back in the day?

I enjoyed the game, but the rate at which I got new cards was too slow. If you get new stuff faster now, I might consider going back into it.

I'm not completely sure about browser players. I had been playing on Steam. Here's some more info if you're interested.
https://www.faeria.com/news/announcements/228-faeria-friday-the-new-economy

Something else I forgot to mention is that you can no longer open cards you already own the max number of copies for.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.