Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stalling is killing the game for me  (Read 4003 times)

Sparkskite

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Stalling is killing the game for me
« on: March 20, 2017, 04:35:42 pm »
+1

They need to implement something similar to a chess clock, because right now it is not fun at all to get "stalled out" by an opponent.

I'm talking about when an opponent is clearly losing and instead of resigning he chooses to play at the slowest rate possible to avoid timing out - one card every 45 seconds or something. Since apparently rating points have not been implemented either (a complaint for another time) I simply choose to resign in these situations, but the lack of etiquette online combined with the low amount of features implemented so far is making the Dominion Online experience incredibly frustrating.

For what it's worth, it's already quite frustrating enough to play a game where the opponent leaves the table instead of resigning.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Stalling is killing the game for me
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 06:32:00 pm »
+2

Report the behavior to either Stef or SCSN (Philip). I think they have a zero tolerance policy towards such players.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:49:06 pm »

There is a lot of discussion of a game clock on the ShuffleIt forums.  There is no consensus on if or how to do one.  What is more urgently needed is to be able to blacklist abusive players so you don't have to deal with them.  Ultimately, policing by the Devs/Mods and personal blacklists is the solution to the problem, not a game clock.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 11:37:56 pm »
+1

There is a lot of discussion of a game clock on the ShuffleIt forums.  There is no consensus on if or how to do one.  What is more urgently needed is to be able to blacklist abusive players so you don't have to deal with them.  Ultimately, policing by the Devs/Mods and personal blacklists is the solution to the problem, not a game clock.

This ^^
What's too long for one game will be too short for another.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 10:57:00 am »

Wow, I've never had this problem before, I guess you just hang with the wrong crowd  :). Seriously though, I think blacklisting is the only option, because a clock isn't really an option due to varying game length, as ackmondual said.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 11:20:03 am »
+1

Wow, I've never had this problem before, I guess you just hang with the wrong crowd  :). Seriously though, I think blacklisting is the only option, because a clock isn't really an option due to varying game length, as ackmondual said.

I have seen this issue exactly once, and it was the opposite of your typical slow-roll; it was some guy who wanted me to be faster despite playing at what I consider a normal speed.  Then he started insulting me in chat, I slow-rolled him for a minute, one of us quit after two minutes because who actually has time for slow-rolling, and we blacklisted each other.  Hooray for blacklists!

Otherwise I've yet to see this happen.  I wonder if it's a function of rating?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 11:25:03 am »

Kirian is probably right.  i suspect as your rating goes into the 60s, you're a lot less likely to run into these people if you select good matches.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 12:30:29 pm »

Kirian is probably right.  i suspect as your rating goes into the 60s, you're a lot less likely to run into these people if you select good matches.

Eh, I'm only at 55.  I'm betting it dies down in the 40-45 range, but I could be mistaken.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 12:56:25 pm »
+1

I play against anyone and I don't think I've been slow-rolled yet.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 01:58:57 pm »
+1

I've also never been slowrolled.  I'm in mid 40's and play good match.  But then I don't play that many games a week.

love

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 11:44:20 am »
+1

Just read the message about "slow playing" on Dominion Online.
I am pretty low ranked on Dominion Online and never experienced slow playing,
nor have I ever used it.
I would not even go through the trouble to find out how long it takes to receive an auto-resign.
Also, I dont mind slow playing because I can always browse the internet and get the notification sound
when it is my move.
I was often pushed by my impatient opponents to play faster.
Most of the time I respond something like "some decisions take time".
When I watched YouTube videos of better players (for example MicQsenoch) playing Dominion League
I always had the feeling they played rather carefully and not very fast, because
playing too fast will result in mistakes.
The personal blacklist is ok.
I like the idea of a visible clock. It adds transparency removes subjective statements about
playing speed.
Why not offer several different time controls before the start of the game.
For example I play lots of online chess with 15 minutes and 10 seconds increment for every turn (15|10).
But (5|0)  (Blitz) is also very popular.
Since Dominion is not chess these time controls have to be adapted.
But after reading announcement on Dominion Online, I expect you will get lots of requests to ban players
because of slow playing.
Of course these cases will be assessed by persons who are fair and experienced. However, I think its lots of work
to deal with those cases. Why not using the clock?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 12:00:00 pm »

This thread is pretty out of date, since there is now a personal blacklist and moderators who play whack a mole with whatever accounts SlowMo is using today. The problem isn't Fully Solved but it's being worked on further

In general, no one is referring to players who play slowly because they are thinking - those aren't users reported to admins etc - this is only referring to intentional stalling.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 22 queries.